Evaluation of Catch-and-Release Regulations on Brook Trout in Pennsylvania Streams

M

Mike

Silverfox was good enough to search for and post the subject scientific paper within a long thread that some of you may have abandoned as being too esoteric for your liking. I am, therefore, calling your attention to the subject paper, which you can find in the Conservation Forum, Heritage Brook Trout, post #65.

If you happen to have limited familiarity with scientific papers, not only will you find the results of this study in the body of the paper (Results and Discussion sections), but you will find information on results of other related scientific studies, including some conducted by the PFBC on your dime, in the introduction and the Discussion portions of the paper that should prove to be interesting.

Happy reading!

Or if you don't want to jump around on a wild goose chase through another thread, here's the article.

Or a direct link, if you have subscription access through a university or other entity.

Table 1 on Page 51 presents some good info on streams and their ST populations, some of which you may have fished or have desired to fish.

Page 54 of the paper explains why C&R regs for ST often don’t work.

Table 1 on Page 51 presents some good info on streams and their ST populations, some of which you may have fished or have desired to fish.

Page 54 of the paper explains why C&R regs for ST often don’t work.
Lets define "work". As it may have multiple meanings based on the individual.

Lets define "work". As it may have multiple meanings based on the individual.
Read page 54 that I referenced if you don’t like my shorthand. Most anglers think C&R will either produce more fish, bigger fish, or both, while protecting what’s already there…which in their minds will produce more fish and bigger fish. With typical high natural mortality rates, you’re hard-pressed to realize any of these benefits. You’re more likely to see the same old natural variations in population size and length distributions, just like the “control streams.”

Last edited:
I think it's important to qualify that the study showed that the specific design of regs in the study failed to provide the intended outcome. That's not to say that C&R regs for brook trout don't, or can't work. It means that making relatively short sections of 2nd and 3rd order streams C&R didn't result in larger (>100mm to >175mm) brook trout.

Conversely, in Maryland, the Upper Savage River conservation project showed the opposite outcome when the regulations were applied differently. The obvious difference is that the USR included the entire watershed, whereas the Pennsylvania study only included 16 relatively short (~3 to 4 miles in length) 2nd and 3rd order headwater tributaries with the exception of Kettle Creek (the only stream to show a positive outcome in the PA study).

Some early background on the USR (precursor to statewide regulations): https://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fish..._Watershed_Brook_Trout_Regs_Briefing_SFAC.pdf

It's worth pointing out that the USR had "pristine" habitat, and that angler exploitation at easy access points was established as a probable cause for declining fish population and size in those areas (though that was a hypothesis before regulation implementation).

More recently, the state published a supporting document when they instituted statewide angling regulations to protect brook trout (no harvest in stocked trout waters west of I81 and no harvest at all east of I81).

Snippet from that document;
Screen Shot 2022 05 09 at 54033 PM

Of note:

Catch-and-release regulations for brook trout were implemented in the upper Savage River in Garrett County in 2007. An anticipated benefit from the regulation was to protect the largest fish (most fecund, best spawning success) during low flow and poor reproduction years to sustain brook trout in subsequent years when conditions are better. Annual brook trout population monitoring has indicated that the upper Savage River supports a stable population even with the normal environmentally driven annual fluctuations. Furthermore, compared to pooled sites open to harvest by anglers (2 fish per day, no closed season) from around the state, the upper Savage River has maintained statistically significant greater brook trout densities for each year of monitoring following the regulation change.

And probably the most important line about brook trout conservation from an angling standpoint I've ever read:

The department believes that the value of releasing native brook trout is greater, both socially and ecologically, than harvest, especially given the abundant opportunity to harvest stocked trout.

The reason cited above in the last paragraph for the MD C&R in what I suppose are purely wild trout streams east of I-81 is to minimize harvest during stressful periods when larger fish are most vulnerable. But the natural stressor that they cite that would fit that criterion is drought. The others mentioned are anchor ice and high flows, neither of which would lead to greater harvest.

Pa has estimated angler use data for all months of the of the year within the allowable wild trout harvest season, including the months when drought is most likely. I could not find the actual data on Pa’s typical drought months. Perhaps someone can. In Philly, the driest time period is from the end of August until late March based on a report that I did find. Of those months, statewide wild trout harvest is only allowed in August, the month of the harvest season when angler use is exceptionally low. The estimated August angler use on the state’s wild trout streams, not just ST streams, was only 8,864 angler hours during the Pa statewide angler use and harvest study, or 3.9% of the total use for the season.

If one talks about July, then there is better estimated angler use, amounting to 16.1% of the total for the season, or 36,594 angler hrs.

Maybe it’s just me, but low flow has never made larger ST or any ST more vulnerable to me. They have been quite skiddish.

Last edited:
The reason cited above in the last paragraph for the MD C&R in what I suppose are purely wild trout streams east of I-81 is to minimize harvest during stressful periods when larger fish are most vulnerable. But the natural stressor that they cite that would fit that criterion is drought. The others mentioned are anchor ice and high flows, neither of which would lead to greater harvest.

Pa has estimated angler use data for all months of the of the year within the allowable wild trout harvest season, including the months when drought is most likely. I could not find the actual data on Pa’s typical drought months. Perhaps someone can. In Philly, the driest time period is from the end of August until late March based on a report that I did find. Of those months, statewide wild trout harvest is only allowed in August, the month of the harvest season when angler use is exceptionally low. The estimated August angler use on the state’s wild trout streams, not just ST streams, was only 8,864 angler hours during the Pa statewide angler use and harvest study, or 3.9% of the total use for the season.

If one talks about July, then there is better estimated angler use, amounting to 16.1% of the total for the season, or 36,594 angler hrs.

Maybe it’s just me, but low flow has never made larger ST or any ST more vulnerable to me. They have been quite skiddish.
I think overall, the biggest takeaway is the line about preserving the fish being more important than harvesting the fish, especially since they stock trout with the sole purpose of harvest. Brook trout are a SGCN in MD (in PA as well) and deserve greater protections than being lumped in with stocked trout. Why not err on the side of protection w/ our only stream-dwelling native salmonid? Even if harvest is minimal, it's still one more stressor we're adding on top of the multitude of others.

I think the east of I81 zone is just 100% ST C&R 24/7/365 because they've lost so many in that region and it just makes sense to make them C&R by rule rather than split hairs by doing it by individual waters or times of year. Maybe the summer/late summer timeframe is the most stressful time, but it's just easier to say "you can't kill brook trout in eastern MD". It's a simple reg change w/ overwhelming constituent support.

To me, the west of I81 zone is more important, and probably has a greater benefit to the species overall. There, the wild ST end up in STWs in early spring when anglers are keyed in on harvesting trout. The fish in those sections are far more important than stocked trout because they're the ones moving around a lot (spreading genes and repopulating extirpated streams). So the "stressful period" in the west might be the opening of trout season, and the stress isn't environmental.

Again, do we really need to allow the harvest of a vulnerable native "trout" when we're also supplying millions of trout for the sole purpose of harvest/consumption? I know there's this idea that angling mortality is compensatory, or can be, but do we know that's true in all cases? Especially in low biomass native brook trout streams where removing a single individual from the population could theoretically cause great damage?

If not in all cases, surely it would make sense to apply it to STW since any ST that are present in those areas in early spring are likely in transit, and that life history is arguably the most important to population resiliency. If you're supplying all those trout for harvest, why do we need to also allow the harvest of ST? Especially when you add in the incidental mortality you're increasing by stocking over them. I'll mention again that what launched me into this decade-long tirade is finding 5 dead sub-legal brook trout in a stocked trout stream. It's not only about the # of fish documented to be going home on a stringer. We know their populations are highly variable, so could 5 fish in a down year represent a greater negative impact to the population than we think?

You might only need a handful of fish for some theoretical genetic diversity target, but could that vary based on overall population density? What if that one fish is carrying an important regional adaptation where the others aren't? I get that it's easier to think about this at a macro scale and to maintain the status quo, but could things be more important on a finer scale than we've assumed?

It would be one thing if there was strong evidence that ST populations are exploding in PA, even regionally, but everywhere else is documenting "significant" declines. The only actual studies I've seen in PA indicate the same (60% decline in 20 streams since 1987 on the laurel ridge for example). Not to mention we're supposed to be increasing ST populations by 8% by 2025.

“Sample sites averaged 306 m in length”

-Quote from Mike’s posted PA fish and boat internal study

Kurt Fausch et al. Quote

“ In particular, they noted the need to understand, sample, and manage fish populations at 0.5 to 50-mi (1 to 100-km) stream segment and 5 to 50-year scales.”

This is why the study mike referenced tells you nothing about the effects of catch and release on the larger population, they didnt study it. Avg 306m in length is not the population.

Mikes direct quote from this thread-

“Silverfox was good enough to search for and post the subject scientific paper within a long thread that some of you may have abandoned as being too esoteric for your liking. I am, therefore, calling your attention to the subject paper, which you can find in the Conservation Forum, Heritage Brook Trout, post #65.”

My Translation of what mike said- I prefer you abandon a thread started by fish sticks with the sole purpose of promoting a podcast with a literature review designed for lay persons/anglers in efforts to make an educated angling public that could possibly hold pa fish and boat accountable. I also rather we abandon discussion of literature that isnt put out internally by PAFB, methodically flawed, or not borderline fish comission propaganda.

Link to said podcast which contains almost entirely just peer reviewed articles by native brook trout experts (that mike/PAFB rather you “abandon” their published work) broken down in lay person speak and examples for main purpose of making it NOT esoteric to your average angler.

Enjoy

“Sample sites averaged 306 m in length”

Avg 306m in length is not the population.
Exactly. Then there's the "late summer during low base flows" sample window and you're not only ignoring spatial variability but temporal as well. We've all seen the photos and videos of trout packed by the hundreds into spring upwellings or tributary confluences in late summer.

Could the lack of change in the number of larger individuals in test stream sections be attributed to habitat preference by different year classes more than overall population size variation due to any environmental impact? What would happen if you looked at the same regulation change from a watershed level? Oh wait, we already know the answer to that:
Annual brook trout population monitoring has indicated that the upper Savage River supports a stable population even with the normal environmentally driven annual fluctuations. Furthermore, compared to pooled sites open to harvest by anglers (2 fish per day, no closed season) from around the state, the upper Savage River has maintained statistically significant greater brook trout densities for each year of monitoring following the regulation change.

Back