Euro nymph beginner fly questions

Lance Eagan, not much to add. He has a nice set up.

Curious. Have experimented with beads of diff. color, thus no sighter material. beads are the sighter.

not sure legal in comp.

ryansheehan wrote:
Welcome to the board.

Hahah I’ve been on here since like 2008, always been like this. Made a post when I had all this success on valley one day. Got ran out of here like a witch ????.

But anyways after about 15-20 days out on the water, countless back and fourth with different people. I can say euro nymphing is effective. It really is a different way of thinking and fishing. Had to arrange flies by bead size. If I can suggest anything I would say arrange flies by bead size, not by hook Size

I was actually talking to narllybynature, but I hear ya.

Narrlybynature wrote:
I can try to answer some of your questions OP. Also this is my first post, I’m happy to be a member here, so please correct me if I am out of line in anyway.

It sounds like you have the setup with rod, line etc. Definitely build an appropriate leader. Line and leader make a huge difference in the euro nymphing technique.

As for the flies, the two biggest things are generally no external weight(it’s all built in) and size. You need some weight in the flies to make the system work. The idea is to get them down to the bottom and be able to maintain “tension” or a sense of it anyway. So yeah the flies are heavy. Heavy flies are generally big, hence the sz12,14. You can pair a small one on a tag as long as your “anchor fly” has some heft to it.

The overarching theory is that since trout live on the bottom of the river, that’s where you need to put the fly. You also need to do it with no drag and that’s what the euro style does.

The casting is weird. Also, it’s a close game generally for faster water. If you need to reach a fish at great distance or in a sloooow pool- use your traditional gear.

Back in the 90’s there was a video from either Harvey or Humphries on “high-stick nymphing”, that is basically what euronymphing is just HIGHLY refined.

As far as the small fly mindset goes-your world is about to get rocked. Don’t worry, small flies and traditional techniques are not going away, euronymphing is just another another tool in the box. And like I said earlier-you can pair a size 24 midge larva(or whatever) with your other fly, and that is VERY POPULAR bc it works. It’s just another technique...

Lastly and least importantly, my background with euronymphing-
I started Flyfishing in the late 80’s or so as a kid. I was the youngest member of my TU chapter by an easy 50yrs. I had a lot great teachers in those older guys and learned all about wet fly fishing and nymphing and dry flies, match the hatch etc. I always tended towards nymphing bc that’s where trout eat 90% of the time. Standard stuff, indicators and shot, dry/droppers blah blah blah. Last year I started euronymphing, no coaching/guiding, just learning from videos and my old high sticking technique. I caught more fish, and on bigger flies than I ever had before.
Do I miss throwing loops and traditional fly fishing-yup and I immediately change my setup so I can indulge in some actual casting.

Sorry this was long winded, I hope it helps.

Narrly, thank you so much for the information. I basically stopped looking for responses here. But your information was exactly what some big names have said to me as well. But the flies have blown my mind! I’m catching fish in areas I couldn’t reach other ways, and on larger flies. I’m using Hanak 400 Bl hooks, a sz16 Hanak is the same as a normal 18 nymph hook. It has helped having direct communication with some of the best in the comp side, being able to correct things on the stream has helped a lot. We went out for half the day today and I lost count of the amount of fish I caught. I know it was well over 20. I’ve had no problem nymphing long flats. I just adjust bead sizes, grease the sighter or replace with a curly cue ie French style. Really any style of fishing I’ve been able to adapt using modern nymphing and stuff from Lance. But yea I miss throwing loops and not launching my flies.

Back