Erie Steelhead JAM October 30th to November 1st!!

Best conditions of the year today. Hope it does'nt rain too much.

I am still deciding if I can make it. Saturday morning I am set to go out for phesants- maybe I can make it up Saturday evening and fish Sunday.

I do find it sorta amazing that there seems to me at least the same amount of fly anglers as spin guys on the Erie tribs.

Good luck to all fly anglers.

Yes I would agree with the conditions. Want to fish it while it's dropping. The forecast looks like we might be fishing that annual raincoat hatch. But who really expected rain at a JAM??

Bring your "Cool hand Luke" attitude. Lots of these guys are seasoned posters and not just crybabies:
http://forums.fishusa.com/which_stream%3F/m_253871/tm.htm

Squaretail... hopefully my post will make some people shy away from folley's

*evil laugh* :lol:

I did'nt slay them yesterday but did ok. Fish certainly were on the move though.

Leaves were sortof a problem late in the day yesterday but not terrible.

Attachments

• erie1029.jpg
    erie1029.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 5
PS- the wind is howling in erie!!! 20 plus mph winds.

http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/current/KERI.html

That is a good thing- get those pesky leaves flushed out.

Well for those of you going up today... goood luck. I'll be up Saturday morning around 8ish with some breakfast. The weather looks to be improving with some great fishing ahead for the weekend. Looking forward to catching up with those on the site and catching some chrome!

Ryan

Here's what I know about who's coming:

ryguyfly, squairtail, Albatross (FriSa), Jack M (FriSa), tig, CLSSports (Su), fa544e4, Heritage-Angler (FriSa), JasonS, Bruno (SaSu), bowmandjk (Sa), skybay, CRB (Sa), goodfortune, Millertime, tomgamber(Su?), flipnfly, Johnny_Johnson (Su?), skip16510. Numerous friends and relatives of these.

We may not make it to Avonia Tavern until 900 PM or so, depending on traffic. We'll be at the pavillion around 600 AM, give or take a hangover. Like to be on the water by 800 AM Saturday. Can't stay late Saturday, but will try to stop by the pavillion after fishing. See you all up there.

Here's my list of everyone who's coming. Can't wait to put some faces to names.

Heritage Angler
JackM
gzaccky
Farmer Dave
JasonS
jrcll
Squaretail
Millertime
GoldenFly
ryguyfi
groove790
albatross
tomgamber
Bruno
Fishidiot
acristickid
flipnfly
skybay
CRB
goodfortune
CLSports

I hope there is a fresh shot of rain for you folks to fish with. I fished Thursday - had a horrible day on lower Elk, with little I could attribute to a steelhead bite (meaning, I fished all day and don't think I had a single hit). Saw four fish caught all morning, as I walked from a bridge above the Conrail tubes, to a bridge below the tubes. One fish I saw a guy catch was a nice brown trout. In the afternoon, I saw 10-15 fish caught from the tail end of one of the larger pools - all on sucker spawn or blood dots. I was just upstream from that, but in deeper water and with the murkiness, I think shallow water was where the action was. The fish were on the move and that's the second time I've seen folks nab them as they come up out of the rapids into the tail of that pool.

I was going to fish today, but was frustrated enough with yesterday's outing (and had a work conference call to make), that I decided to sleep in and pack it home. I stopped by upper Elk, just to see if any fish had made it. Low and clear, with more leaves (or maybe the same amount of leaves than lower Elk, but less water, so a higher leaf density). The wind was certainly kicking more leaves into the stream - I predict it will be a mess to fish for a few days. Anyway, couldn't resist getting the rod out and finally hooked two. Landed one, about 25" and lost a monster that never surfaced - headed straight for the lake, and then had a long, soft release, with a little chunk of the steelhead's mouth still attached to the hook after I reeled in the line. Should have opted for fewer fish, but lower and clearer water yesterday - I like to walk and sight fish and all I ended up doing yesterday is walking :) I know they were in there yesterday, but I and most other people couldn't solve them.

Ahhh geez Jack, I wont be there till atleast 2:00 saturday, might not even get to bump into you and Greg. Considering the success of the last times I fished with you, that might be a good thing. Now fishing steelhead success with Albatross on the other hand.....

Hope the copperheads are gone. ;)

Steelheading to remember.

...fly fishing is solitary,contemplative,misanthropic,scientific, in some hands, poetic in others and laced with conflicting aesthetic considerations. it's not even clear if catching fish is actually the point...

John Gierach

Attachments

• 16mile-2web.jpg
    16mile-2web.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 16mile-web.jpg
    16mile-web.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 5
  • albatros_landing_2web.jpg
    albatros_landing_2web.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 5
  • albatros_landing_web.jpg
    albatros_landing_web.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Jack_with_sleelHEAD.jpg
    Jack_with_sleelHEAD.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4
  • JamHEAD.jpg
    JamHEAD.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 6
  • SteelHEAD.jpg
    SteelHEAD.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 6
  • steelhead_jam_web.jpg
    steelhead_jam_web.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 5
  • SteelHEADER.jpg
    SteelHEADER.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the nice pics SkyBay. I enjoyed meeting you.

Jack was whinning about not catching any fish, but here we have photographic proof that he did catch a steelhead.

Thanks for the photos. I was afraid no one would believe I caught that 40 inch, 25 lb. steelie, so I kept it under wraps to make sure the photo came out.

Nice to meet you Jerry.

Lots a great smiles in those picks...good job guys!

Jack

You are the best!

PaulG

Always wondered what happened to Gamber, kid, and Farmer. Were they there? Did I just miss them?

ST- I ended up at a halloween party and pretty much sealed my fate. Wish I would have fished Sunday with you guys- looked like good conditions. Fished the Tuesday after and it was decent- been terrible since then. Some day I meet more of you guys.

You make to the May gathering? Been to the last 2 of those.

The May gathering is a bit too much booze for a man with my past, but Paul assured me I can weasel in at his trailer this year.

Back