EP Fibers (et al) flies: How?

sandfly wrote:
best peanut butter pattern I have used is one with a red spot behind eye and under the EP fibers, and light green on back with silver angel hair and white for belly. Try that combo Gary for jersey. sorry about the looks they have been used and caught fish too. the grey one is 5" long. I like the smaller 2-3" flies.

I can utilize green instead of blue, as I did buy 'em both. I have some red underneath, its just not really shownig well in that picture. My first practice round didn't do that, but I saw it somewhere and realized what a great effect it had.

sandfly wrote:
NOT the 1499CJ is or the 578DA. they are the big boys of Medalist.

I admit complete ignorance of a 1499... 578 doesn't count, its a Supreme. ;-)

ANyways, I'm going to scurry off now and find out what I can about the 1499. Got a spare 1498 spool to sell for pennies?

edit: AHA! In another forum, our very own Sandfly says the 1499 is an anti-reverse reel, which means it might say Medalist, but its different enough I feel OK by being blind sided by this revelation.

Ergo, I'm holding steady, the 1498 is still the big boy of the Medalist lineup*.

[size=xx-small]* - Not including Anti-Reverse models. Pfft![/size]

How much for spool ??????

Interesting topic since I've been trying to tie these over the last couple of months with similar problems. I was wondering whether the thinner/clear mono thread would make the difference. My bodies are too thick using size A floss. The video in the link below has been indispensable for me:

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Puglisi_Baitfish.htm

BTW, i've found that I can trim the thicker flies into something at least useful by trying to mimick Lloyd Gonzales's schoolfish pattern. If you have access to his book, check it out. I also find Hareline sparkle emerger yarn easier to work with than congo hair, but twice as expensive.

WOW you are using sparkle emerger for them. Expensive is the word. They work great for Gonzo's flies but on ep type I would think thats a waste of material.

Yeah, the cost is why I switched to Congo Hair, but even Sp. Emerger yarn is cheaper than EP at 5.99 a hank.

Back