Entemology Books

well, heck. http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/insects/mfly/fl/toc.htm
mayflies of fl.

this doesn't really do much for pa mayflies, though.

i feel i should be useful. so, for the op... you could also get a seine net or one of the attachments that converts your landing net into a seine and obtain live samples that way. i do belive that's one of the ways oldlefty up there collects live samples.

i've wanted to learn to do that myself, actually. i've thought about making a sort of cover net out of a real fine mesh netting and shaking some rocks loose on the bottom of the stream.

OldLefty wrote:
Or you can go to the extreme and do this...and then compare it to what is in the books.

In my opinion the definitive work on Mayflies is the book by the same name by Ted Fauceglia. It is the only book which includes photos of all three stages of the major hatches in the east and midwest.

Dave R.

Went to Amazon and used the "look inside" feature where you can review random pages. Sold. Especially when the 3rd party vendors are selling them new for $13 shipped! Thanks for the heads up, report to follow.

Fred Arbona's "The Mayflythe Angler andTrout" is very good with the life histories of mayflies, though it is now a bit dated as to names. Since it was written the common names have changed to what they are now. It can be confusing in that perspective. Perhaps the best book about flies is "Hatches II." It is more current and covers all genera of aquatic insects.

Back