Elk Hair Caddis (Lite)

NJTroutbum

NJTroutbum

EHCL.JPG

This version of the Elk Hair Caddis (EHC) has been with me for over 25yrs. Early on it was suggested to me that the Wire rib/Tinsel on the EHC was not necessary, but to try it and find out for myself. After a few trips it was determined the advice was right, and I began tying the pattern as such. It's an excellent low-water patter, yet still rides high enough to skitter or fish faster waters. Give it a try. You may find as I did that a slight break in tradition can deliver a lifelong pattern.

The EHC (Lite) Recipe
Hook: Standard Dry #8-18
Thread: 8/0 Dark Brown Uni-thread
Abdomen: Ginger Hare-line Rabbit
Hackle: Light Furnace or Brown (One Size Smaller)
Wing: Ginger Elk

Elk Hair Caddis (Lite) Tying Video

Nice tie, NJTroutbum. I tie my caddis with coastal deer hair, and I eliminate the palmer hackle. Downside is my caddis don't skitter well.

Coastal deer works very well. I like the mottle natural hair alot for smaller sizes. I tend to leave off the palmer as well under #16.

Very fine wire ribbing helps protect the hackle stem and i use it on all my patterns 16 and larger.
I use the old technique of wrapping the hackle to the back back of the fly and weaving the wire to the front.

and 4-5 wraps of fine gold wire wont even register on a scale

Thar's why for every dozen or so tyers you find, you will get at least 6-8 variations of the same pattern. We all have our druthers.

:)

Back