Elk County in September

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Any suggestions on cold water or warm water fishing opportunities in Elk County in September? I may be in the Benezett area at that time. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Gene: Based on what I can glean from reading your posts, you seem to be (for trout anyway..) a bigger water guy. This makes quality options in the general vicinity of Benezette a little thin for you, at least IMO.

If you are interested in fishing smaller streams for a mix of wild/stocked trout, there are lots of options nearby though. Check out the PFBC's interactive maps for the PA Routes 255/555 corridor (where Benezette is located..) and pick a few from the stocked/class A or natural reproduction lists. Virtually all of them are worth fishing.

If you have an interest in smallmouth, take a look at the Driftwood Branch anywhere below Emporium. This is pretty good bass water and around the cold feeders, you may also run into some trout left from Spring. The main stem of Sinnemahoning Creek proper from the Driftwood confluence down its mouth on the West Br is also supposed to be good smallmouth water. I've not fished it.

There is decent trout fishing on the EB of the Clarion below the dam and excellent smallmouth fishing in the Elk County section of the Clarion River, particularly downstream from Ridgway. The thing about it though is that Benezette is a ways from anywhere and it'll take you the better part of an hour if not longer to get over the drainage break to Johnsonburg or Ridgway. There are a pile of smaller streams within a half hour of Benezette you could be on much quicker.

Back