Eels in the Susquehanna and its tribs

C_kreek17

C_kreek17

Has anyone ever caught eels while fishing the Susquehanna or its tributaries upstream of the dams that would block normal passage?

This summer I was training my dog in a major trib to the Susquehanna and ran into some USFWS biologists that were electroshocking for eels. To my surprise they said they had sampled a pretty good number of them, although I didn’t ask for too much clarification. The one biologist stated that the feds stock eels above the dams. Not sure the purpose of the stocking but interesting none the less. I have never caught one, much less seen one in south central Pa, I spend a good amount of time on this creek. Please note, this is not an attempt to discuss the native/nonnative fish and or the issues or importance of dams! Just thought it would be interesting to hear if anyone has had a run in with eels.

Only time I caught some was when I was New Zealand a few years back. They cool critters but man are they slimy.

Eels are becoming more and more common in the Juniata and its tributaries. My uncle used to tell me that he would go to East Licking Creek as a kid and yank eels out while dunking night crawlers at night.

I think they are trucking eels above dams, etc. Plus a lot of local clubs/high school science classes raise them and release them locally.

American eels are an important migratory species that are hosts for some juvenile mussel species. The eels are an important part of the mussel life cycle and help transport young mussels throughout the watershed. As the dams have impacted eel passage in the past 100 years, mussel populations throughout the susquehanna River have suffered greatly.

Mussels are important ad they filter water as well as provide a food source to numerous animals.

There are restocking efforts associated with the operation and licensing of the major lower susquehanna dams. The eels are being stocked above the major dams including above Williamsport and Lock Haven dams on the West branch.

The last and only time I saw a wild-caught eel, my dad brought one home from the (big) Juniata near Lewistown - at least 50 years ago. Since the rule was eat everything we catch, he peeled it and dropped it in a frying pan. I was not inclined to try it after seeing it writhe all over the place.

Eels are becoming more and more common in the Juniata and its tributaries. My uncle used to tell me that he would go to East Licking Creek as a kid and yank eels out while dunking night crawlers at night.

I think they are trucking eels above dams, etc. Plus a lot of local clubs/high school science classes raise them and release them locally.
Kish Creek used to be full of them. Especially around Yeagertown.

My dad talks about catching them in the conestoga river in Lancaster Co. when he was kid. I wonder if they may have been more common 50 years ago?
The only one I have ever seen was last year in the Conodoguinet. I didn’t catch it but I was standing in some weeds and he swam up to me and gave me a minute to look at him. Interesting animals for sure.

When I was a kid, I fished regularly at night at Springton (formally Geist) Reservoir in Delaware County, PA which is now closed to fishing. :mad: The reservoir is the impoundment of Crum Creek, a tributary to the Delaware River.

Where we fished was in the vicinity of Bishop Hollow Road which was upstream of two reservoirs and five (5) dams...

...and we caught eels regularly.

I also saw three or so dead eels once near the base of the 4th dam that were so big they still give me nightmares and pause to wade the creek any longer. ;)

I THINK we discussed this once before and I seem to recall Mike saying the small eels are excellent climbers which explains my experiences and ongoing fear that I will be killed in my sleep by giant eels.

I also happen to like to eat smoked eel which probably isn't endearing me to the next man-eating eels I encounter...

You may find this of interest, (Eels in the Classroom, I love it. :)):

I’m sure with the stocking will see a lot more of them. The only thing I’ve seen close to an eel is a freshwater lamprey. As I’ve seen others and am not sure if eel or lamprey swimming around.

...Only time I caught some was when I was New Zealand a few years back. They cool critters but man are they slimy.

It's been a LONG time since I went eel fishing but if you want to catch some more, based on my past experiences do the following:

They are most easily caught at night so fish from dusk to dawn. I also fished in warmer weather so during the overnight part I wasn't freezing my a$$ off...​
Nightcrawlers fished tight-lined on the bottom with a small dispsey swivel weight was the ticket. A long shanked hook is a BIG help as well *.​
* I never tried circle hooks or they didn't exist back then, but they would be my choice today.​
Put your rod in a rod holder of some type. A "Y" stick cut from a nearby tree branch is the sentimental favorite.​
You need to keep your eye on your rod tip so a marker, bell or bait alarm is a huge help. If I remember correctly, when the rod tip dips gently up & down it is probably an eel.​
The hiss of a Coleman lantern and a chair adds to the experience & remember to bring extra fuel. ;)
A few old towels on hand to handle the eels and fishing pliers or hemostats for hook removal are essential.​
I also seem to recall that a full cooler of beer was essential as well... ;)
If you hook a huge killer eel, cut the line and run...​

Good luck and have fun if you give it a whirl!!!

Last edited:
Last summer, I saw a dead eel on the bank at the Isle of Que, Selinsgrove. No idea if it was native or stocked. This was below the two dams to the north.

My husband's grandfather caught eels growing up. When the water level is low, it is possible to see come of the old eel dams. We have a gig and a handdrawn eel wall map.

We used to fish for eels on the Delaware R. like Bamboozle describes. The action was usually really good.

We used to fish for eels on the Delaware R. like Bamboozle describes. The action was usually really good.
The Delaware tribs used to get good runs of them as well. On the NJ side I remember people coming in at night as we were leaving to fish eels, this was pretty far up the Musky in Beattystown, lots of miles and dams from the D. I also ran into them on the Flatbrook or more accurately I was their prop as 2 of them were trying to make future eel generations while whapping me in the lets mid-stream. :)

Eels are still abundant in much of the Delaware River watershed, especially in tribs that do not have significant dams.

Eels used to be a substantial food source prior to damming of the susquehanna, evidenced by the abundant eel weird that were constructed by native Americans all over the main stem and west branch. Many of these can be seen on aerial imagery, there are dozens of these v like structures in the west branch from lock haven to muncy.

...I also ran into them on the Flatbrook or more accurately I was their prop as 2 of them were trying to make future eel generations while whapping me in the lets mid-stream. :)

I would have died of fright right there... :eek:

Bill, my old neighbor in Wrightsville (along the Susquehanna) talked about salting barrels of them when he was a kid. He's past now but spent more time along the river than anyone I've ever known.
I've caught many in North and South Carolina but only one in the Susquehanna. It takes bait to catch them usually. Worms or Shiners.
Pliers or a towel is needed to release them. Slimiest things I've ever seen.

I had a large eel bumping me and trying to wrap my leg on the Big Bushkill. Creepy

Eels are still abundant in much of the Delaware River watershed, especially in tribs that do not have significant dams.

Eels used to be a substantial food source prior to damming of the susquehanna, evidenced by the abundant eel weird that were constructed by native Americans all over the main stem and west branch. Many of these can be seen on aerial imagery, there are dozens of these v like structures in the west branch from lock haven to muncy.
Thanks for sharing this! I’ve never heard of Eel wiers… You sent me down a fun rabbit hole!
Here is a picture and location if anyone else is interested.
(40.9626783, -76.6306348)
IMG 3041

Bill, my old neighbor in Wrightsville (along the Susquehanna) talked about salting barrels of them when he was a kid...

I remember a long time ago, my mother bought me a tin of smoked eel...

Because they were so slimy & gross when I fished for them, I never kept any so the tin of eel sat around for awhile. ;)

When I finally got the balls to try it, was AWESOME!!

I actually have a nearby source for the tinned stuff but if anyone wants to skin & smoke some eels, I'll start fishing for them again...!!

I would have died of fright right there... :eek:
I was a scant 15 years old, just about didn't make 16! I gave the Almighty a run for his money when it came to walking on water too.

Back