Easy-to-Make Rod Tube

greenghost

greenghost

Here's an Oldie but Goodie...

I had two 4-piece fly rods without tubes just waiting to get broken. Rather than coughing up the cash and paying $25 or more for each tube, I decided to make them out of ABS pipe... quickly and easily.

WHAT YOU NEED: I bought a 5' section of black ABS. I used 2" diameter (though 1 1/2" probably would work). I like ABS better than PVC because it's lighter, more flexible, and black looks better than white or gray. I also picked up 4 test caps (plugs) for each end.

ASSEMBLY: Cut the tube in half so you have two 2 1/2' tubes. Simply glue one of the test caps to the tube. That will be your bottom.

For the top cap, drill a tiny hole in the center of the cap and then on the side of the tube about a half inch down . String nylon shoe string or cord through each hole, adjust to desired length then knot each end to act as a stop .

There you have it, two sturdy decent looking tubes for about $5 each.

Bonus tip, before gluing the bottom cap, glue in a piece of foam to the cap so that when sliding rod sections in, you cushion the impact. A piece of foam in the removable cap also help if the rod sections shift around during transport.

+1. Mine are 2" PVC with loose end caps. Spent $2.00 and 15 minutes to make.

Cut a slit about one inch wide on one of the ends and now you can slide a rod that has a reel attached.

Back