East Branch of Clarion

P

pstock

Hello, fellow anglers!

I'm new to the forum, and it looks like a great community. I hope to be an active member.

I don't live in PA, but I frequently visit my mom and sister, who live out west in Greenville. When I'm there, I try to get some fishing in, if possible. Unfortunately, I'm usually out there in summer, so trout fishing is not usually an option. (But I'm planning a trip next April!)

I'll be out there in a couple of weeks, in fact, and would like to go fishing with my son, who is 15 and relatively new to fly fishing.

I've been trying to learn more about PA fishing. Doing some research, I came across the East Branch of the Clarion and am thinking of taking my son up that way for an overnight trip. There's a nice write-up in Keystone Fly Fishing.) I figure we can try the tailwater section for trout, and if that's not great we can head down to the Clarion and fish for smallies. It looks like a beautiful area, so I'm sure we'll have a good time no matter what.

It looks there is good access to the DHALO section and in Bendigo State Park. Does anyone have any tips? Is there a fly shop anywhere nearby where I might get some intel? I haven't been able to find anything nearby.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Cheers,
Dave

The east branch is a good choice for summer time fishing.
Cold water temps in the 50's all summer long.

Bendigo is a good place to start.
But there are plenty of other access points upstream all the way to the dam base also.

No fly shops in the area that I know of.

My experience there has found few hatches, and those are quite sparse.
However, the fish will usually respond to terrestrials.

The main stem will likely be too warm for trout.
But I guess bass fishing would be pretty good

The East Branch for the last 7 days has been running between 55 and 61. The main stem of Clarion River in Johnsonburg has been a great temp in the morning for the last 7 days. Daybreak temp 55-61 and it tends to go up 10-12 degrees each day.

If you are committed to trout it would be best to fish Clarion River in the morning and East Branch in afternoon. SM Bass tend to feed once temp hits 68. So afternoon on the Clarion would be best for bass. Dropping downstream 5+ miles will get you a little warmer water if needed.

I fished the East Branch in the on May 1 in the DHALO section and I never moved a fish. Water levels were very low then due to some Dam repair work. Maybe it got stocked after I fished it

Many thanks, dryflyguy!

Thanks for the help, Prospector!

Hey Pstock:
Give Tim at Lazy River Canoe in Ridgway a call at (814) 389-2732. He has a small tackle shop up there and would be your best source of knowledge for the East Branch and other streams up there. Super friendly dude who will help you out in any way he can.

at one time there was a sporting goods store in ST Marys,, hunting and fishing gear, i think it was named Smiths ?... if its still there , that i don`t know

Back