Early Season BWO's

I will say my primary goal is to have the fish look up and see the dry and be lazy and take the nymph.

I think if a fish takes the nymph I don't have this issue. And I have the bonus of my dry acting like an indicator.

I fish two dries that way alot. Also Effective using a dry and a harder to see emerger. I prefer more distance between my flies, not only for the reduced foul hook rate, but also for better a better drift.

I was thinking about giving two dries a try. Maybe a 22 GN and a Comparadun BWO when they start hatching soon. I appreciate the ideas guys. Thanks to all.

That would be extremely hard to cast and keep on the water I would think.

csoult,
Two dries or a dry dropper? Or something else?

Not at all. Its quite easy, as long as you don't have too long of a trailing tipper or too short of one. Additionally it makes sense to put the bigger fly first then the smaller fly. I tie the trailing dry to the eye of the leading dry. Its great for fishing larger water where multiple hatches are coming off and you can't tell for sure which fly the trout are keyed on. It is also helpful for fishing smaller dries at a distance, as you can watch the lead fly to tell how close your flies are in relation to the rise, and for emergers it acts as an indicator and goes under when they take the emergent dropper.

Give it a whirl, you'll be sure to get a tangle or two, but it is far from prohibitive. Another good tactic is using a dry with a spent wing spinner, which are often harder to see in the water anyway.

Do you have more of a problem with drag?

I really like the two dry concept especially like you said when there are multiple hatches. One thing I intend to try this summer is a sunken trico spinner off a dry dropper. Probably an ant but TBD.

csoult wrote:
Do you have more of a problem with drag?

Good question but I would assume if you watch the bigger fly for drag the smaller should follow. BMarx, yes?

csoult,
Not really, if your dropper is two short you might, but if you mend the lead fly, the dropper will follow and it should be fine. Sometimes the extra slack between the lead fly and the dropper gives the dropper that much extra drift. Mending is key not matter if you are fishing 1 dry or 2.

It certainly doesn't work ALL the time, but it also has very useful applications, especially with emergers and like i said the ever frustrating multihatch (typically sulphers and olives or that sort of thing)

I could see where this could be an advantage as I ran into a situation where sulphur duns and spinners were everywhere. Come to think of it I could only keep track of one fly that night. But I will try this for sure.

Yeah you can't always see both flies, but when you can see one, you have an idea where the other SHOULD be, and sometimes if the fish takes the second dry, the first goes under or stops just like an indicator. give it a whirl and let us know.just don't yell at me when you snap off two flies instead of one :-D

How many times have you had 2 fish on? I think that would be ultra exciting!

rarely because when im fishing two dries i am typically targeting one larger fish. I don't blind cast, although that might work too and big fish don't typically let smaller fish that close. i've done it nymphing though but it isn't that wild.

Got it. Where I want to try it with the GN and BWO, the fish rise in pods. I would think it could happen there but I see your point on bigger water.

I don't usually target big fish. I'm out to catch fish, and if they happen to be big, great.

I do use a dry-dropper a lot. And while I've never thought of it as 2 dries, I guess it's the same idea. I do it on small streams a lot, often with a beadhead or something similar, and that's the classic dry-deep nymph, not much different than an indicator rig. But you really can't fish a "deep" nymph that way on a larger stream, it just pulls under the dry. So the dry-dropper rig on a large stream usually has an emerger, or a light nymph in the film, as the dropper. I guess that's the same idea as 2 dries.

I have caught 2 fish before, both on dry droppers, and on 2 nymph rigs. Usually it doesn't happen that 2 fish take at the same time. It's that the 2nd takes while your fighting the 1st. You've probably seen where, when fighting a fish, another fish follows it around? Well, if in the act of doing so, there's another fly dangling back there, they sometimes take!

Had a buddy once who had it happen with steelhead. He had an egg pattern and a stonefly nymph. One fish took the egg. During the fight, another was chasing the stone all around, lol. He landed neither, whole rig broke off, but the fish remained connected to one another for a few minutes and you could see them fighting each other!

I've done dry dropper many times but have just never tried two dries. I've also used two streamers before but with little luck.

Back