E fishing License available soon

Bamboozle- I have to disagree with your comment about the effectiveness of checking a license from a distance vs checking via face to face contact. The thing is, looking from a distance does absolutely nothing to prove the individual has a valid license, it simply proves that they are a bit smarter than a monkey and know how to use a printer/copier. Truth is, I could purchase one license and photocopy the thing a thousand times and a WCO would have no idea from a distance that the license doesn’t belong to that individual. Notice the only large text on a license is the issue year? That’s all they are looking for. Frankly, checking licenses “randomly” is a waste of time and resources, as most other states have realized, thus the requirement that one doesn’t have to display a license. Now if a WCO thinks you look shady he will approach and make contact with you and do thorough check of your license and equipment. Much more effective way of allocating resources than having someone sit in a vehicle and glance at license year printed on random people’s vest.

I have to believe the number of people that would take the time to photocopy or forge a paper license is relatively small, especially since that would add another charge to their summons versus just "fishing without a license."

However the fact that I display and have never been asked to see my license means either NO WCO's have ever visited any of the places I've fished in the last 2000 years...

...or they have verified my license from afar.

You decide...;-)

Better yet, ask a WCO!

Did you read the article and link I posted in my post above?

You will be able to buy and retain your fishing license on your phone. Plus the PFBC will be able to collect data on the buyer for marketing.

The FBC signed a 10 year contract and the updated system should be up and running sometime this year. I would guess that is why the regs book does not have the display reg in it.

Many see this updated system as a step forward. YMMV, though.

Article from Penn Live >

Pennsylvania anglers will be able to buy their fishing licenses on their smartphones through a new vendor contract signed by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. They'll be able to retain the license images on their devices as proof of purchase.

The new contract also will give the commission access to information about license buyers that it does not have under the contract with its current contract.

"We collect a lot of customer data that we'd love to use in our marketing efforts, but haven't had the capabilities until now," said commission Executive Director John Arway. "The new licensing service will provide a host of visual analytical tools, allowing us to see in real time key metrics like buying patterns or sales by age group and gender. We can then use the information to tailor specific messages to these customer groups and improve our sales."

Nashville-based Sovereign Sportsman Solutions was awarded the 10-year contract after providing a demonstration of the system to the board of Fish and Boat commissioners.

The commission expects the transition to the new system to take about a year to implement.

Link to source > https://www.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/ ... _option_coming_for_p.html

afishinado wrote:
Did you read the article and link I posted in my post above?

You will be able to buy and retain your fishing license on your phone. Plus the PFBC will be able to collect data on the buyer for marketing.

The FBC signed a 10 year contract and the updated system should be up and running sometime this year. I would guess that is why the regs book does not have the display reg in it.

Many see this updated system as a step forward. YMMV, though.

Article from Penn Live >

Pennsylvania anglers will be able to buy their fishing licenses on their smartphones through a new vendor contract signed by the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. They'll be able to retain the license images on their devices as proof of purchase.

The new contract also will give the commission access to information about license buyers that it does not have under the contract with its current contract.

"We collect a lot of customer data that we'd love to use in our marketing efforts, but haven't had the capabilities until now," said commission Executive Director John Arway. "The new licensing service will provide a host of visual analytical tools, allowing us to see in real time key metrics like buying patterns or sales by age group and gender. We can then use the information to tailor specific messages to these customer groups and improve our sales."

Nashville-based Sovereign Sportsman Solutions was awarded the 10-year contract after providing a demonstration of the system to the board of Fish and Boat commissioners.

The commission expects the transition to the new system to take about a year to implement.

Link to source > https://www.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman/ ... _option_coming_for_p.html

So which is true? A contract was signed, presumably sometime before February 26, 2018 as per the PennLive article (with no minutes in any of the PFBC meeting archives that I can find), or the proposal was scrapped, per MBWCC's post?

There is a recommendation of an RFP for selection:

http://www.emarketplace.state.pa.us/BidAwardDetails.aspx?RecordNo=15263

But that is it. There is no record of a contract actually being executed.

For the solicitation documents, look here:

http://www.emarketplace.state.pa.us/Solicitations.aspx?Cpg=&SID=RFP_PFBC_PGC_PALS_2017

Go here and search for Fish and Boat Commission as the Agency if you're interested in other contracts.

http://www.emarketplace.state.pa.us/BidAward.aspx

salmonoid wrote:
So which is true? A contract was signed, presumably sometime before February 26, 2018 as per the PennLive article (with no minutes in any of the PFBC meeting archives that I can find), or the proposal was scrapped, per MBWCC's post?
My comment above applies only to the license display rule change proposal and related comments in this thread regarding license display requirement gone or going away this year. The license display rule change proposal was scrapped. Fishing license display is still the law in PA.

I made no comment regarding the new license system, contract, proposal, etc. Please do not misconstrue anything I wrote as being related to those topics.

I received my buttons in the mail yesterday. Took a little over a month for me to get mine.

Back