E fishing License available soon

So hopefully this will do away with the antiquated regulation of having to display your paper license or button?

timbow wrote:
So hopefully this will do away with the antiquated regulation of having to display your paper license or button?

The article doesn't say anything about the display issue. The smartphone portion will provide a "proof-of-purchase", but it doesn't say if the display side will go away.

There is a request for comments for the display issue on the PFBC website. I had mistakenly assumed it went into effect, based on some prior discussion I think on this site, so I may or may not have had my license displayed the couple of times I fished this year. It may be that the reason there was not immediate action on the proposal is that the PFBC was waiting for vendor responses for a platform to use and with the timelines that government procurement takes, the display requirement won't go away until 2019.

Time to do away with displaying your fishing license. Game Commission went with that a few years ago and made a lot of sense.

Ron

I was fishing on the DePuy creek outside Livingston Montana with my son when a fella came up to me and asked if I was from Pa. I must of looked surprised when he pointed to my fishing license pinned on my vest.lol He was originally from Pitts.

im a rebel and a law breaker because i havent displayed me license in years

Great... Now the Russians are going to know exactly where we all fish...:)

Because I buy mine online, I print multiple copies (usually on earth-toned paper) and put one in all of my fishing clothing and one in my truck.
I don't display mine much of the time, but I always have it on me.

How long does it usually take for the button to arrive? I bought my 2018 license over a month ago.

"im a rebel and a law breaker because i havent displayed me license in years"

+1

I always have mine pinned on my vest. It's just habit. When I fish in another state I just fold the one I've printed out and put it in front of my PA license. Even if they do away with the requirement, I'll still have it displayed on my vest.

CRB wrote:
"im a rebel and a law breaker because i havent displayed me license in years"

+1

Yup, me too.

But if that's the case what is nearly every male in Mifflin County supposed to wear on his hat everywhere that he goes?

I never display my license but always have it tucked in my chest pack. The only times I've ever been checked are catfishing the river at a public launch and walleye fishing in the Juniata just down from my house. Once Autumn sets in the PFBC drive past my house nearly every day probably because they have nothing better to do. They are also stationed out of Newville and driving and SUV......talk about efficient spending.

On a different note I always buy a button and pin it to my chest pack but I've never made it through a full year without losing it..

Why would you not want to display your license? I for one would rather have a wco see my license from their truck with binoculars rather that have them approach me and make me stop what I am doing to pull it out then get scolded like a school boy for not having it displayed. Especially depending on how much I've been drinking....

dudemanspecial wrote:
Why would you not want to display your license? I for one would rather have a wco see my license from their truck with binoculars rather that have them approach me and make me stop what I am doing to pull it out then get scolded like a school boy for not having it displayed. Especially depending on how much I've been drinking....

Displaying is a bit of a pain IMO.
Especially when it's raining - and you're constantly putting a raincoat on and off. Have to keep constantly repinning it?

I've also lost several licenses, that just somehow came unpinned from the back of my vest - without knowing

Off topic,but I feel like venting,because I'm dieting and feeling grouchy:)
I was once hunting geese in South Jersey in the late 90s from a lay out blind.It stated to rain real hard and I slipped on my rain jacket.
The game warden was at my side in 10 minutes and ticketed me for "not displaying my license",even after I explained what I just obviously had done ,without realizing I was covering up my license.
I showed him the license and he just kept on writing and handed me a citation.

AFISHN wrote:
I was once hunting geese in South Jersey in the late 90s from a lay out blind.It stated to rain real hard and I slipped on my rain jacket.
The game warden was at my side in 10 minutes and ticketed me for "not displaying my license",even after I explained what I just obviously had done ,without realizing I was covering up my license.

That was one tough warden Tom.

I know of at least one time fishing- it was on the little juniata - where I did the same thing. And a WCO happened by. When I told him the license was on my vest under the raincoat, he just had my lift the back of the raincoat up briefly while he checked - and let it go at that.

dryflyguy wrote:
AFISHN wrote:

I know of at least one time fishing- it was on the little juniata - where I did the same thing. And a WCO happened by. When I told him the license was on my vest under the raincoat, he just had my lift the back of the raincoat up briefly while he checked - and let it go at that.

WCO Walt Rosser was a Gem

Maurice wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:
AFISHN wrote:

WCO Walt Rosser was a Gem

If your talking about the old WCO that everyone referred to as "Rosie" - yeah, I believe that's who it was. That happened quite a while ago

Me too, or either. Whatever. It's not by intent. well, sometimes it is. When it's a ba-jillion degrees and I'm in my kayak for 6 or 8 hours in the sun, I don't want some piece of plastic on my hat, my shirt, nothing. I have it WITH me or i have a picture on my cell phone, but Im' not hanging a 3X3 chunk of plastic on my anywhere if I can help it.
Plus, it can and has snagged in equipment, rain coats an fly line.

As Dana Carvey said as G.H.W. Bush: "Nope. Not gonna do it."

Syl

Back