Dsr vs homewaters (or the senator vs the beav)

How bout this one?

"Seven Mountains Run" - Navigable only during the annual PAFF Jam flood.

i.e. earliest deed wins.

Order of deeds:

1. Deeds granted by King of England to settlers wanting to go to the new world.
2. US becomes a country and claims all navigable rivers to be publicly owned.
3. States issue deeds which include riverbed ownership.
4. State legislatures later run into issues with deeded landowners preventing commerce on waterways, and issue declarations, one by one, declaring specific waterways to be public highways.

#4 is the one that the DCNR list above is based on. They are legally trumped by #3. So they hold no legal water on their own. They never did.

But in a twist, courts use #4 as evidence that, since the streams were needed for commerce, then they must be capable of it, and thus #2 applies and trumps #3.

But in another twist, a few deeds were actually granted by the king before the US was even a country. And in those specific situations, like the Jackson River, Virginia case, #1 applies and trumps #2.

So I wonder what happens when some Indian group says another Indian group granted them the land?

The fee for the DSR is to access the land so technically it's not "pay to fish" although that is what everybody says.

The Deed that was written ages ago states that the owner of the douglaston property (Barclay) own the river bottom, which is why you don't see many boats in that section since they cannot drop anchor. Being a navigable river doesn't matter in this specific case.

Pretty sure the Altmar fish hatchery wouldn't be there without the help from Barclay years ago.

Not positive but I think there are some mentored youth hunts that he allows on other nearby property he owns.

Got to fish next to Senator Barclay years ago when I first started going to the SR. He was very nice and didn't act holier than thow. I followed a fish downstream and landed it and got back and he was in my spot. He looked back and asked if I would like the spot back. I don't know of his politics but he was very nice to me and the group I was with.

The Deed that was written ages ago states that the owner of the douglaston property (Barclay) own the river bottom, which is why you don't see many boats in that section since they cannot drop anchor. Being a navigable river doesn't matter in this specific case.

Again, this is NY, not PA.

But, if it were in PA, yes, it would likely matter, depending on what "ages ago" means. So long as the deed was written AFTER the revolutionary war, being navigable would trump the deed (for fishing rights on the river, not land access).

Donny Beaver's (or the guy he leased the land from, I dunno) deed to the LJR included the river bottom too. Most deeds do. It doesn't make them valid. If the river is navigable, it is seen as 2 deeds laying claim to the same land (one owned by the public, the other the landowner). Earliest issued deed is valid. Deeds issued later are invalidated for the contested land portions.

American Whitewater has a summary of access laws by state.

For example:

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Wiki/access:pa

Change the last two letters to the state you are interested in.

Michigan has one of the cooler laws for streams - if you can float a log down it, it is a navigable waterway.

I am a whitewater canoeist and fisherman for 50 years and have followed all this access stuff for decades.

Riparian law is common law judged on a state by state basis. The East and West parts of the US even use different bases for riparian law. East of the Mississippi we use Justinian Law by way of English common law as our model. In general, the key principles here are that the water and fish are public but the access to the water is controlled by the landowners. One cannot negatively impact the stream up or down from your property (although that is violated by "common good" arguments for factories and sewage plants) because the water is shared. The right to use the stream for navigation is ancient since rivers were the main highways for trade until a little more than 100 years ago.

NYS has a difference between "navigable by fact" which means it is possible to travel on the stream and "navigable by law" where the stream is of such importance the state controls it. The Delaware and Hudson are "navigable by law" rivers. In a navigable by fact stream the uses of the stream are separable. For example, the right to travel is always there (including portages), but fishing, irrigation, water power etc may be retained or sold/leased by the landowner. Note that NYS purchased miles of Public Fishing Rights (PFR's) on rivers. The wouldn't need to do that if they owned it already. For the DSR guideboats can float through, but not fish. The DSR had the extra advantage that the other rights went with the original "patents."

Being common law, riparian law is a muddle. For states that had logging drives or shipped goods down river there are generally plenty of lawsuits to generate a reasonable precedent. In small states, like NJ, where the rivers aren't big enough to hold trade there are few lawsuits and precedent is weak.

IMHO, the biggest change in interpretation of the law over the years is giving recreation status. 50 years ago recreation was not considered commercial use and was not given any weight in riparian lawsuits. But over the decades as fishing, canoeing, and whitewater rafting became more of an economic base for rural communities recreation has become an important factor in the settling riparian cases. It's hard to argue recreational fishing isn't commercial when it forms a big part of a town's economy.

What or who is the Beav?

And, is there a Wally involved?

Wbranch. Cool pics of the fish.

I guess for me it's a principle thing. I didn't fish the dsr when it was 1/4 or so of the price it is now out of principle. I have never fished the dsr, so I can't comment on whether the anglers are more ethical. I'd be willing to bet they fish the same way 95 percent of the people fish the open water.

Considering there isnt much natural reproduction of steelhead, I'm not sure what the 0 limit does for the fishery besides make people feel better about themselves. I guess you can catch the same fish again, but catching 15 black steelhead in the upper river on February that hardly fight because they've been caught (legally or illegally) 35 times doesn't do much for me.

I agree the sr is a zoo, that's why I hardly fish there.

The only way I'd ever consider paying to fish for steelhead (other than nys or tribal licenses) in ny would be if the private water was on the big ny erie trib, and centerpinners were banned and their rods and reels were confiscated and destroyed. I'm kidding (ok maybe only half kidding).

FGSIII wrote:
The fee for the DSR is to access the land so technically it's not "pay to fish" although that is what everybody says.

Pretty sure the Altmar fish hatchery wouldn't be there without the help from Barclay years ago.

Not positive but I think there are some mentored youth hunts that he allows on other nearby property he owns.

Got to fish next to Senator Barclay years ago when I first started going to the SR. He was very nice and didn't act holier than thow. I followed a fish downstream and landed it and got back and he was in my spot. He looked back and asked if I would like the spot back. I don't know of his politics but he was very nice to me and the group I was with.

That was very nice of him to take your spot then ask if you wanted it back. Makes me like him even more...

I would encourage someone to go ahead and wade up in those posted sections on Pine and Elk Cr. (tribs to Penns). Assert your navigable waterway rights! They will bust you and you can have your day in court.

moon1284 wrote:
The topic of homewaters came up in the guide post. I agree with the majority here that homewaters is a bad thing. It seems like a lot of folks here like the dsr however. To me the dsr is just as bad. The lions share of the fish in the sr are stocked and paid for by the state, and the dsr does nothing that I know of to help the fishery (other than manicure their property). How come everyone hates the beav, but not doug barclay?

I don't live in pa, and i also rarely fish the sr. But I can't understand how someone can accept one and hate the other.

The differences are night and day. The DSR (Douglaston Salmon Run) is one section of private property along the Salmon River in NY. It's one property and one property only. Yes, it's pay to fish with a daily fee but it's not outrageous and it's setup with beats to limit angling pressure and provide an enjoyable experience for all anglers on the property and bit of history. Homewaters is an ever growing, ever expanding attempt to brazenly close off as much of the best water on some of the best streams to only the richest, highest paying elite. And it does so directly on the backs of the average angler whose license dollars and various grassroots efforts helped build and protect many of these fisheries in the first place and then Homewaters forces them out. IMO Beaver is a vulture, a parasite really.

Always remember, money talks to politicians. Individuals shouldn't have to pursue lawsuits to maintain public access. The DNR and Ag should be all over stealing public property.

Of course, the AG has other problems to deal.

I would encourage someone to go ahead and wade up in those posted sections on Pine and Elk Cr. (tribs to Penns). Assert your navigable waterway rights! They will bust you and you can have your day in court.

My sentiments exactly. You go first. I'm right behind ya. ;)

Though frankly, we should start with Penns first....

RyanR wrote:
moon1284 wrote:
The topic of homewaters came up in the guide post. I agree with the majority here that homewaters is a bad thing. It seems like a lot of folks here like the dsr however. To me the dsr is just as bad. The lions share of the fish in the sr are stocked and paid for by the state, and the dsr does nothing that I know of to help the fishery (other than manicure their property). How come everyone hates the beav, but not doug barclay?

I don't live in pa, and i also rarely fish the sr. But I can't understand how someone can accept one and hate the other.

The differences are night and day. The DSR (Douglaston Salmon Run) is one section of private property along the Salmon River in NY. It's one property and one property only. Yes, it's pay to fish with a daily fee but it's not outrageous and it's setup with beats to limit angling pressure and provide an enjoyable experience for all anglers on the property and bit of history. Homewaters is an ever growing, ever expanding attempt to brazenly close off as much of the best water on some of the best streams to only the richest, highest paying elite. And it does so directly on the backs of the average angler whose license dollars and various grassroots efforts helped build and protect many of these fisheries in the first place and then Homewaters forces them out. IMO Beaver is a vulture, a parasite really.

I disagree. It's not one section of property, its many properties and it has expanded, and they are always looking to expand. As far as limited pressure, the good Senator Doug even crowds people out so the pressure can't be all that limited. I'm not sure where the bit of history is (other than it used to be public water). The DSR closes off the best early season water on the river. As far as the daily fee, it is affordable to some, but I'm sure there are many anglers and families that cannot afford the $75/day to fish there. There is also a long waiting list for season passes (and you need to pay a deposit to stay on the waiting list).

It's not as expensive as the beav's club, but the principle is the same.

I'll give all my fellow anglers my word....when I win the Power Ball I am going to make it my personal crusade to get arrested, and take it to court, for every stream I can find that should be nagivable and open to the public and yes, I'm starting with Penns. They're all going down 2-3 at a time. Heck, I'll be so well known that landowners will probably stop pressing charges to keep me from taking them to court. I'll be able to fish any place I want!!!! I'll rule the world!!!!!!!!!!!

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Always remember, money talks to politicians. Individuals shouldn't have to pursue lawsuits to maintain public access. The DNR and Ag should be all over stealing public property.

Of course, the AG has other problems to deal.

I see you are in Ohio.

NY and Ohio law is different from PA, but based on JeffK, NY is similar to Ohio.

I believe there was a ruling about 20 years ago on the Grand. A landowner owned both sides, and apparently the stream bottom. He posted it. It went to court, and I am pretty sure the ruling was that navigability only applied to navigation. I believe it was ruled that the landowner cannot prevent people from floating through. But property owner had the right to restrict non navigating activity on his property such as fishing. That is from memory, and like I said, it was awhile ago. ODNR can't just steal the land. The really can't do a damn thing about it short of leasing or buying the recreational rights.

It sounds like the NY version of DNR is restricted similarly.

In PA, if a stream is considered navigable at any time all the way back to before it was a state, it means basically that the stream up to the normal high water mark is held in public trust. Therefore activity is not restricted to navigation since it is basically private land.

In some case, this is obvious, like on the major rivers. some are even spelled out in public documentation. In others, it is not as clear and can require a court decision. Take the LJ decision. the land had been in the Espy family for over 300 years. Apparently it was granted to the family by William Penn himself. My understanding is that at one point the Espy's started charging a small fee, mostly to limit and identify who was on his land. there was still peace among the peasants

Then Donny Beaver came along and leased the property from the family and made it exclusive club waters. That is when the fit hit the shan and the peasants revolted. I don't know who all stepped in and challenged this, but I think PF&BC was involved. The court ruled the LJ to have been navigable at one time and therefore the stream itself was not owned by the Espey's (sp) regardless of what the deed may have said and actually held in public trust. I think that is the gist.

Notice how I remained fairly neutral on that last part?

I certainly can't blame the Espy's for exercising their rights on property that they believed to be in their family for over 300 years. I'm also not a member of any fishing clubs,

In OH, landowners do not own deer crossing their property. Neither do they own the fish swimming or the water flowing in a stream.

No one want the state to take people's property. However, gaining control of public property by artifice is as abhorrent. Further, it is an AG's responsibility to ensure public goods are not taken.

Utah politicians attempting to transfer public resources to private ownership is a recent example. VA's supreme court's ruling is another example of chicanery to gain control of public property.

I own property in NE PA along a popular creek and posted it due to disrespect of the land owner through excessive litter and excessive creeling activity. I do let people fish by permission only however they understand the rules....catch and release only. Yeah I have people mad at me but the ones that abide by my rules are elated to find out that fishing is better there than on most of the open stocked water that has been fished over by the entitlement crowd. I have also found there to be less litter....so does this make me a bad person?

Ron

I don't think anybody can fault a landowner for managing his own property. Whether we like it or not. As long as things remain within the law. Cables across a creek endangering kayakers and such and locking up water which is identified as state water, is not.

Leases and clubs forming are nothing new. I hope, that they remain attainable to most who are willing to join when it happens. I am a member of one myself, and support the results.

My opinion of Beaver however is a separate thing, and its not a good one. He's already proven that he is willing to stretch the law in order to make himself rich at the expense of other fishermen. Sorry, but I reserve the right to call BS.

Fishbaithohaha, I'm betting that was directed at me.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
In OH, landowners do not own deer crossing their property. Neither do they own the fish swimming or the water flowing in a stream.

Of course not. But unless you have permission (OH), you will need to go around that private property and get them on the other side. Written permission for hunting.

That is a strawman argument if there ever was one, and frankly it's been used so much that the staw has mostly been beaten out of it.

Do I own the deer on my farm? Of course not. That is why I must follow ODNR rules just like everyone else, but as land owner, I don't need permission to hunt them on my own land.

Lets keep it real.

No one want the state to take people's property.

I've been on here long enough to realize that isn't true. Maybe most don't, but you said no one.

However, gaining control of public property by artifice is as abhorrent.
Of course it is.

Further, it is an AG's responsibility to ensure public goods are not taken.

Not really. The Attorney General is the top cop in charge of enforcing laws and various court rulings. He is not a dictator. It is not his responsibility to seek these things out or pass judgement.

Utah politicians attempting to transfer public resources to private ownership is a recent example. VA's supreme court's ruling is another example of chicanery to gain control of public property.

I can't comment much on that, other than it is apples to oranges. But have you ever wondered why many states out west have large percentages of Federal land? Here is why. The Federal Government made the "Territory" turn it over to the Feds as part of the process for statehood. Many could argue that once statehood was granted, it should have been turned over to the newly formed state, but it wasn't. Only those parts privately owned were turned back over to the state and who then deeded it to the owner. Some might see this as the Federal Government stole it in the first place. Most didn't care back then when the land was considered worthless, but it doesn't change the fact that it is questionable.

Now, back to the subject at hand. If you think I am siding with Donny Beaver or the DSR or whatever it is called, you would be mistaken. I just presented fact as I understand them.
Bottom line, it is within there right to post PRIVATE land regardless of what critters are on it, or pass through it.

In the case of the LJ case, The Espy family thought they did own the land under the stream and had fairly strong historical documentation to support that. Donny Beaver must have felt the Espys owned the land as well, or he wouldn't have leased it for club purposes. I can't and won't speak for the Beav, but it is not inconceivable that he had no intention to "steal" public land. Fortunately for those that fish there, laws created about a century after the land grant said that Espy did not own the land under the stream.

I speculate that under older British law which applied at the time of the land grant, Espy likely did own the land under the stream. Although PA law is very similar, British law applied to tidal water, up to high tied was public. It's an island. The original 18 colonies extended that to rivers as well because of the vastness, and rivers were a major course of commerce. So, on one hand, Espy was not wrong, and the Government may have stolen his land. But it was stolen more than 200 years ago and nobody noticed until recently.

Ironically, if the landowner had simply posted the land and only let people fish there by permission, it likely would have never been settled to court. It wasn't up to the AG to make that decision.

Look, you might not like what I said, but I try to write based on facts available instead of emotion.

Look, if you wish to hunt or fish on my land, I won't charge you. I could charge, but won't. But you will need permission. It's the law. I don't own the deer or even the baitfish in the small crick. I may not even own the fish in my privately stocked ponds (I'm still scratching my head on that one). But as long as they are on or suspended above my property, nobody can hunt or fish them legally except me, my wife, and those I grant written permission to. End of story.

If I decided to charge money, that might make me a dirtbag, but not a thief.

Attachments

• Public-Lands-Western-US.jpg
    Public-Lands-Western-US.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 4
Back