Dsr vs homewaters (or the senator vs the beav)

M

moon1284

The topic of homewaters came up in the guide post. I agree with the majority here that homewaters is a bad thing. It seems like a lot of folks here like the dsr however. To me the dsr is just as bad. The lions share of the fish in the sr are stocked and paid for by the state, and the dsr does nothing that I know of to help the fishery (other than manicure their property). How come everyone hates the beav, but not doug barclay?

I don't live in pa, and i also rarely fish the sr. But I can't understand how someone can accept one and hate the other.

What is dsr?

DSR is C&R for steelhead. it also limits the angling pressure.

$50-30 for a days world class fishing is hardly out of reach of the average angler whereas Homewaters is for the 1% only.

i get the opposition to the DSR but go to S America, Iceland, Europe or Russia, and you will pay a lot lot more for andronomous fly fishing.

just my .02

So then, DSR is a section(s) of Lake Erie tributary water that is privately owned - and you pay a daily fee to fish it?

DSR has already been in court about the issue and DSR won when an important NY senators family owned that land.

Dsr is just a daily pay area to fish the first 2.5 miles of the river. Whereas Homewaters is 90k to join and 10k a year in dues to fish their privately owned water all over the country.

What creek is this on? Where? Never heard of this.

IMO, they both suck. I have fished the DSR once. Not many fish were in upper river, I drove 5 hours and wasn't leaving without a few shots at success. I think we paid $45-$50. Wasn't happy paying it but my other option was to head home. I know, there's other creeks up there but I took someone along with high expectations and they wanted the SR.

Just saw post above and had to edit. It's on the Salmon River in Pulaski. I know 90% of you chrome domes know where it is. Been there for years. Below little black hole

http://www.douglastonsalmonrun.com/

So the REAL problem w/ the Beave is that it's just for the uber rich? I mean, I always thought it was the whole thing about closing land access and stocking big pellet heads over wild trout populations, but well, now that I know its about class warfare....

Yes, it sucks that Douglaston Salmon Run controls all that water from the Black Hole down to the mouth of the river. The only good thing about it is after November 01 I believe the owners limit the number of anglers from 250 a day during salmon season down to about 65 fishermen per day. You must also wear studded wading shoes to fish the DSR.

There was a time way back in the early 1980's when all that water was open to the public. I forget the route number but there are two roads, one on each side of the river, we used to drive down the road on river left and be able to pull over on the shoulder and walk down a pretty steep trail to the river and we would come out down around what is called the Lower Clay Hole. You could also drive down on river right and park at a dairy farm and walk down a trail about 1/2 mile long and come out at the Upper Clay Hole and the steelhead fishing was just fantastic.

A couple fish from before it was pay as you go.

Attachments

• Beautiful resident rainbow.jpg
    Beautiful resident rainbow.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Bus Pool.jpg
    Bus Pool.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 7
If you want access to it, then YOU should have bought the property. we aren't talking about public land here, we're talking private property, and as such, they could simply say NO, and your outta luck, BUT, they allow you to fish for a fee. big deal, pay to fish, or go somewhere else. Looks like they also have lodging available, maybe they should offer that for free also?
it's another story if a person or group trys to control access on public land.

fisherboy3 wrote:
Dsr is just a daily pay area to fish the first 2.5 miles of the river. Whereas Homewaters is 90k to join and 10k a year in dues to fish their privately owned water all over the country.

Can't you see how similar that is lol

But it's cheaper and only 2.5 miles, man! So therefore, it's different (even though in principle, it's exactly the same freaking thing)

If you want access to it, then YOU should have bought the property. we aren't talking about public land here, we're talking private property, and as such, they could simply say NO, and your outta luck,

Yes, that is correct. I'm personally not complaining that it is a pay-to-fish property. I was just relating that at one time it was open to the public like the rest of the river. It is a shame that NY and PA don't have more good sized rivers entering Lake Ontario and Lake Erie like Lake Superior in Michigan. There are many more significant rivers and streams out there that helps to spread out the anglers.

While all the Great Lakes fisheries are not sustainable without major hatchery programs the overall fishing experience would be far more pleasing if the salmon and trout didn't first have to run a gauntlet of hundreds, if not thousands, of guys throwing every fly, lure, and bait known to man at those fish. It is no wonder that you often see fish swimming around adorned with flies and lures from prior break-offs.

More venues spreads out the crowds and makes for a much more pleasant day on the water.

I have no problem paying for access to fish and I don't have a problem with others doing so or selling/leasing those rights. I do have a problem with asserting rights one does not have.

yes they are similar but different in price tag. One is definitely for the uber rich, and one is for the working man who wants a fair shot at fresh fish. I really dont think homewaters stocks this but i know they do elsewhere.

For what it's worth:

I abhor both. Hate the idea of private water, regardless of cost. That said, legally, I do support the RIGHT of both to post private water.

Where the Beav ran into trouble is in posting public water. That's the key differentiator between someone who does something I merely don't like on their own land, vs. someone who actively steals something from me. If a stream is navigable the streambed is public land.

I liken it to hunting. If a hunter posts their own property to keep hunters away so that he alone can hunt the local deer, I dislike his decision. I hope most people don't make the same decision. But there ain't a dang thing I can do about it, nor should there be. It's his land.

But if a hunter puts posted signs around his deer stand in the middle of the state forest to keep other hunters away, well, that's a problem. That's MY land.

And in the case of the Beav, it's not just the LJR, but I'd hold that Penns, Elk & Pine are public too per the letter of the law, and the Beav still has signs there which exclude me.

I've got no clue on the SR and NY courts, though.

If I was going to waste my time chasing steel on that blasted Salmon River I would start at the DSR. The daily fee is worth it. Mandatory C&R on steelhead and someone "polices" the place daily to make sure rules are followed. Their overnight accommodations are first class too but more suitable for larger groups.

The Salmon River and Lil'J are waterways deemed "navigable in fact".
The difference is that DSR still regained all fishing rights within it's property.

Is that a difference in state law, or state interpretation of national laws?

i.e. in PA, if a river is navigable in fact, the public has fishing rights. I think, but do not know, that this is a state court interpretation of national law.

Back