Dry Fly Rod

My Winston 8'6" 4wt IM6 is very slick and pleasurable to cast. Like a laser with a silk landing.

Those right there are the biggest thing I noticed with the Winston dry fly offerings. The accuracy is unreal and the line lands with an almost undetectable disturbance.

DavidFin wrote:
8'6" 4wt can be a pretty slick length and weight. I have a Scott Radian in that size and it would definitely be my one rod if I could only have one.

I agree on the 8'6" 4wt comment. It would also be my choice for PA trout fishing if I could only have one rod.

tracker12 wrote:
I usually nymph fish but after this past weekend on the LJ I want to start doing more dry fly fishing. With that I looking to pick up a new rod. Any suggestions for a mid level rod. I fished a TFO 9' 5wt this weekend that was not bad.

The TFO 9 ft. 5 wt is pretty hard to beat for the price. I've never fished with one, but I spend a lot of time casting one and it would do anything I'd want out of a 5 wt, include not being heavy.

Syl

moon1284 wrote:
If you are looking used (and assuming mid level is 2-300, I've cast and would recommend the following:

Sage: RPL, SP (I haven't cast many other sages, but I'd say almost any Sage in graphite II or III 590 size would be nice) The XP 590 is a great rod but I wouldn't want it for a dry fly specific rod.

Thomas and Thomas: XL905

Scott: G905, Eclipse 905, any A series 905,

St Croix: Legend 905

If we are talking some used rods, I would HIGHLY recommend the Sage SLT in 8ft 6, 5 wt. It is one of my very favorite rods, but I fish mostly 9 ft rods when nymphing is on the menu. It is a fantastic trout rod, though.

Syl

for a mid-priced rod I would look at the TFO Finesse rod. I have a 8'6" 4wt that fits almost any dry fly fishing in PA. I can also use it for nymphing , if I don't have to add more than a BB split. for a big higher end, look for a used Scott G series rod. extremely nice rod for drys. On the lower end but still a super dry rod would be an old Orvis Henrys Fork.

Over the past few years, the Hardy Zenith has been considered the best rod to purchase. An 8'6" 4 wt has the backbone to cast 80 ft with also having the ability to make delicate 20 ft casts. Hardy discontinued them, but they occasionally pop up on eBay anywhere from 450-550. A lot cheaper than the new line of rods coming out from all the big competitors.

Back