Dry fly in December

724flyfishing

724flyfishing

I went to my local DHALO today. Tough fishing. You could tell it was recently blown out from all the rain we had those couple days and the water levels were still high but crystal clear. Made wading miserable in that freezing water. Ended up with 3 rainbows and 1 brookie. I was fishing my usual 14 stimulator, 18 midge dropper combo. The rainbows all hit the midge. Much to my surprise, I watch this 13"-14" brook trout rise, make a slow circle around my stimulator and enhale it in almost slow motion. I couldn't believe it. A little earlier I had a big crane fly (I think) land on my hand. This El Niño winter is turning out to be ok!

I can't figure out how to resize my pics to post on here, or just lack the patience to figure it out. But I just put them up on Instagram and Facebook if you use either. My Instagram is ChrisAskins097. Facebook just my name.

Although I don't do so frquently, I've caught trout on dries in every month of the year. They're not what I'd start with in cold weather, but if you're using one as strike, sooner or later you'll get a taker. And on those rare occasions you see a fish rise in mid-winter, it's worth tying on a dry just to say you've done it.

I fished a small native stream in the Laurel Highlands this afternoon. The water was 42*. Air temperature was about 45*. There was snow in some spots surprisingly. I started out fishing dries for the first 30 minutes or so and only missed one brookie. Switched over to the ever successful green weenie and within 5 minutes, I brought a fish to hand.

The good ole green weenie has saved me quite a few times. Even when there were no leaves on the trees...

I catch trout throughout Winter on Fishing Creek (Columbia County) on very small #20-22 BWO's. It just depends on water temps and whether or not the fish are up on them.

Ron

Back