Drone used to capture flyfishing footage

mcwillja

mcwillja

Within the past 3 months i purchased a mavic pro and phantom drone and have been getting some great aerial footage. I can't wait to get some great footage this coming fishing season. Has anyone used a drone to capture any good flyfishing/stream footage. I would like to see any footage anyone has if you don't mind. These things are ridiculously fun and capture some amazing footage.

My paintball gun trumps your drone. Don't film me throwing tailing loops without having me sign a disclosure. Lol.

Seriously, we have some at work and they are a blast to fly. Where it stops being a blast is when you crash it (user error or craft malfunction). Took months for the Phantom to come back repaired. We now have a Yuneec Q500 4k. It's much slower but is very good at obtaining super steady & high quality video. Idiot proof but it did malfunction and plummet to earth. 3 trips to California for repairs because they kept sending it back not working right. $100 to ship the damn thing.

If you use it near me, beware of the big streamers, not only do they catch big fish, but big birds too.

During the shad run there is a guy flying a drone overhead filming. Very annoying. Hate them. Make sure those who you are filming are ok with it.

mcwillja wrote:
Within the past 3 months i purchased a mavic pro and phantom drone and have been getting some great aerial footage. I can't wait to get some great footage this coming fishing season. Has anyone used a drone to capture any good flyfishing/stream footage. I would like to see any footage anyone has if you don't mind. These things are ridiculously fun and capture some amazing footage.

While I can't help with specific knowledge of using drones to film fishing, as others have suggested, having a drone buzz them is not welcome.

Would probably be best to use this tech on weekdays on bigger rivers where other folks (not just fishermen) are not around. Perhaps Penns on a Saturday in May would not be ideal.

Having said that, there is some interesting drone footage of the Susky river on one of the recent WW threads. The filmography was indeed well done and, if you haven't watched that, it might offer some angles or insights with respect to drone position etc.

J,
I'd suggest filming guys fishings to daytime sulphur hatch between the gentleman's club and the tailout of barking dog. You will be a crowd favorite. Lol

I saw one last year at hale eddy bridge

Do you have FAA clearance ? If not you can't sue whoever shoots it down.

I used to secretly enjoy when others watched me fish. I never had anyone do so from a remote-controlled drone.

they make great shotgun targets!

Good point Norm. For personal use, you have to pay $5 (per unit) and register your units with the FAA. If you want to use it commercially for filming or surveys, get ready for a real shiit show of paperwork, insurance and FAA nonsense.

I will throw a rock at any drone that is invading my privacy. They might be cool for some things, but they should not interfere with anyone's privacy. Drones buzzing around me while I'm fishing would qualify as a target.

Another thing to keep in mind, drones can not be flown on any state land in PA without prior approval. There may be a few select locations where it is allowed, but as a whole it is not allowed.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Another thing to keep in mind, drones can not be flown on any state land in PA without prior approval. There may be a few select locations where it is allowed, but as a whole it is not allowed.

Drones are permitted in specific areas in six state parks and banned on state game lands. They are not explicitly banned or permitted only in designated areas in state forests, so FAA rules apply there.

Ok let me clarify. First im not talking about hovering over someone to watch them fish. Lots of flyfishing films are made using drones. It think it was the delaware river club used a phantom to film a commercial to promote their business. I would never fly around someone or bother them while they are fishing. and as far as the laws go i am registered with the FAA and i am in the process of getting a 107 pilots license for commercial use.

As far as the laws it is not illegal to fly in state land air space. Their aren't any regulations until you approach within 5 miles of an airport or helipad. Then you need FAA clearance to fly. Some state parks are banning landing and taking off on state land but it's not a law (at this time). They don't own the airspace or they could say an airplane can't fly over. I am asking if anyone has used one to capture themselves fishing or their friends or people who apporve of it.

Ok let me clarify. First im not talking about hovering over someone to watch them fish. Lots of flyfishing films are made using drones. It think it was the delaware river club used a phantom to film a commercial to promote their business. I would never fly around someone or bother them while they are fishing. and as far as the laws go i am registered with the FAA and i am in the process of getting a 107 pilots license for commercial use.

As far as the laws it is not illegal to fly in state land air space. Their aren't any regulations until you approach within 5 miles of an airport or helipad. Then you need FAA clearance to fly. Some state parks are banning landing and taking off on state land but it's not a law (at this time). They don't own the airspace or they could say an airplane can't fly over. I am asking if anyone has used one to capture themselves fishing or their friends or people who apporve of it.

Dave_W wrote:
Having said that, there is some interesting drone footage of the Susky river on one of the recent WW threads. The filmography was indeed well done and, if you haven't watched that, it might offer some angles or insights with respect to drone position etc.

Yes absolutely thank you. I would never use this on penns during the green drake hatch or near anyone for that matter. I appreciate solitude as as much if not more than anyone on here. However, i have fished many times with not a sole around so i was just wondering if anyone has done it. I typically fly 300 feet in altitude and the drone i have you can't even hear or know it's there most of the time.

pro4mance wrote:
Do you have FAA clearance ? If not you can't sue whoever shoots it down.

My drone is registered with the FAA. You don't need clearance unless you are in a restricted area. If someone shoots it down it's illegal at this time. I am a responsible pilot i know the laws and restrictions. Their is legislation in the works. I don't plan on flying around people or animals or anywhere without consent.

I heard that there's a good location down by the Airport...It's stocked with planes.

mcwillja wrote:

The SGL rule doesn't say you can't fly airplanes or other form of aircrafts over state game lands. It says that the operation, control, launching, and retrieval of drones on game lands is prohibited. So you'd be within the regulation to launch or operate a drone from private property or state forest land beside SGL. But you can't be on SGL when you do it. Only the FAA can control the airspace, but the PA game commission can control what you do from the ground.

Similar with state parks, except there are six parks with designated drone fields where you can operate drones. I'm not sure where you get the idea that "some" state parks are banning operations. All but six state parks have bans on operating drones from within the state park.

SlingerFlyRods has posted some footage periodically; here is a blog post with some of that footage.

Back