Done with Haverford Orvis

Orvis is a clothing company that dabbles in fly fishing
They become the outdoor company for people who don't want to get their clothes dirty. Its also the last place I would ever try to buy split shot.

I'm a fan of water gremlin and basic Eagle Claw BB sized shot. It's about all I need. I'm usually employing shot on bigger creeks in faster water where the shot isn't going to spook fish. Sometimes, on a small water, there may be a need for "micro-shot," but those times are few and far between and a weighted nymph can usually get the job done.

I like lead shot. I doubt shot used in most streams across the state has any impact at all on the environment.
I only use shot to get my buggers down in somewhat deeper water. I agree with the lack of impact for the very few times I use it. Also, Orvis/TCO store is 10 mins from home, Dick's SG is 30 mins, no brainer.

I get shot at Cabelas or BPS usually. Maybe once every 5 years, if I’m low, and in the store anyway I buy a new pack. But I don’t usually make a run just for shot. I buy a 100 pack of size BB, that’s all I use. I figure if I need shot, I’m gonna put some heavy stuff on. IIRC it was $3.99 for 100 last time I was there, 2-3 years ago prob.

Fly shops are weird for me. I like going into them, but I generally don’t like spending my money in them. I get supporting your local business, but the markups are outrageous a lot of the time. And that’s across the board, not picking on any one shop in particular. They cater to a certain crowd, and that’s fine, nothing wrong with that. A few flies, and tippet or gink if I’m running low and plan to do more fishing before heading home, are about all I’ll usually buy. Or, if I have a catastrophic failure of waders or boots on a trip maybe.

The "lead ban" will be in PA soon enough. What starts in CA spreads like a cancer across the rest of the country.

The "lead ban" will be in PA soon enough. What starts in CA spreads like a cancer across the rest of the country.

If you enjoy gas powered lawn equipment, I’d strongly consider making any purchases sooner rather than later. I bought two Honda mowers when they announced they were done with gas lawn equipment last year.

If you enjoy gas powered lawn equipment, I’d strongly consider making any purchases sooner rather than later. I bought two Honda mowers when they announced they were done with gas lawn equipment last year.
Honda still makes gas small engines, and you can buy Toro mowers with them. They just don't sell Honda branded mowers anymore.

Back