Does anyone transition from a mono (Euro) rig to a floating line without changing spools?

I like the idea of two spools too. It's a little more to carry around but not nearly as much as carrying two rods. That spare spool will save you lots of hassle with the leader tangling.

I used to be an advocate for multiple fly rods but I realized, at least for me, that the other rod usually became more of a hindrance than a benefit. I guess if you are fishing in a pretty open area, such as the Little Lehigh parkway two rods is doable and I will still take two there, however when blue lining, carrying a second rod is out of the question. I don't even bring a net on those kind of trips, preferring to gently flick the little trout off of the barbless hook.

Thanks for all the replies. Update - I just ended up cutting back some backing to make room for it. When I am done Euro Nymphing I run the whole 40 foot leader out of the guide and wrap it on this 6 inch rigging foam thing i got on amazon, then my floating line is ready to be used. When I want to switch back, just add the mono rig back to the floating line.

For me, I like to switch between euro nymphing and dry fly fishing throughout the day. This system allows me to do it. I know its possible to dry fly fish with a mono rig but I dont really care for it that way. I also know its possible to nymph with a floating line but same thing i just dont like the drag that floating line creates on the water. I guess I am just weird but that is what is cool about fly fishing you can come up with own system there is no right or wrong way.

I also listed to Troutbitten and they have some great info. George Daniel had some great insights on the Orvis podcast too.

But thanks to all on here too, really helps a beginner out with the suggestions.

Thanks for all the replies. Update - I just ended up cutting back some backing to make room for it. When I am done Euro Nymphing I run the whole 40 foot leader out of the guide and wrap it on this 6 inch rigging foam thing i got on amazon, then my floating line is ready to be used. When I want to switch back, just add the mono rig back to the floating line.

For me, I like to switch between euro nymphing and dry fly fishing throughout the day. This system allows me to do it. I know its possible to dry fly fish with a mono rig but I dont really care for it that way. I also know its possible to nymph with a floating line but same thing i just dont like the drag that floating line creates on the water. I guess I am just weird but that is what is cool about fly fishing you can come up with own system there is no right or wrong way.

I also listed to Troutbitten and they have some great info. George Daniel had some great insights on the Orvis podcast too.

But thanks to all on here too, really helps a beginner out with the suggestions.
I don't think you're weird for wanting to do what you're doing, makes perfect sense. You are optimizing each style accordingly to get the most benefit. I'm nutty when it comes to rods, I may have up to 3 rods for just a single creek that I will use based off of a variety of conditions. Most would consider me crazy. I am a strong believer in tuning one's equipment accordingly, to me that is half the battle, the other half is on me.

Back