Ditching the indicator?

D

DavidFin

Anyone get the feeling that indicators spook fish? Yesterday I had some very positive results tightlining one nymph through a pool I know well. The results were so positive that it made me rethink my go to tandem setup and indicator, which I'm sure I'll still use in certain settings.

Plus, I'm starting to see the whole bobber side on the indicator, like putting lipstick on a pig.

Ditch the thingamabobber and go with the New Zealand style wool indicator. It looks natural hitting the water, similar to a leaf or a piece of debris. It very rarely spooks fish. I often do fish without an indicator but there are times you need one. I'd prefer to be prepared rather than limited and indicators dont take up too much room in your pack or vest.

I don't think they spook as much as they cause drag. Just my $.02

Excellent - another thread on indicators. I suppose they may spook a fish in some situations - in others, not at all. Use them if you want, if you choose not to, don't look down your nose at those that do.

I don't think a properly-sized Thingamabobber (read: as small as possible for the current conditions) is a major detriment at all, and I think that you get the distinct advantage of precisely controlled depth. Ironically, the only fish I had strike during a half day day on the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning last weekend went after the indicator. Needless to say, it wasn't a very productive morning.

I had a trout on Spring Creek hit my pink indicator. I immediately changed to a bright pink dry fly (yes, I carry such things) and caught the trout on the next drift. I felt foolish, but up to that point I had been skunked, so....

They may spook trout in still water but if the water is moving and deep it doesn't matter in much in my opinion. Even if the water is swallow as low as its moving okay a cast upstream should solve spooking the fish. In general, I always go high sticking whenever possible. It's so effective. However, indicator nymphing has its place it my toolbox and I find when done carefully you can keep the trout unaware of your presence

I've tied but not used yet Ralph's Foam Butt indicator with New Zealand yarn. It's basically a bug looking indicator.

Pigs needs to feel pretty too sometimes.

Specific conditions and situations dictate if/when I use an indicator. Ive had luck with them and also with tightlinig. When I do use an indicator, its typically a small yarn one or the smallest thingamabobber they make. Neither seems to spook fish

I agree with ryansheehan, if the proper of weight and tippet length isn't on, drag is much more likely. As far as the lipstick, I'm not sure an indicator is worse than flyfishing with no fly line in the guides. Both methods have pros and cons. Fish however you want to fish.

I use an indicator when I can't tightline. I have a lot of success with indicators or bobbers, which I don't have any problem calling it is what is. I ha my tried the New Zealand style yet, but I will get to it.

I have never used an indicator and I never will. I seem to do just fine watching the end of my fly line as my indicator.

I've used indicators including the New Zealand wool but mostly I tight line nymph. Most of my "indicator" type fishing is the dry dropper rig using a caddies or a foam ant as the dry fly. Over the Memorial day weekend I was tight lining and wasn't doing anything. switched to the foam ant dropper and they were hammering the ant way more then the dropper. The ant had a white polypro on the top which served as my indicator.

Don

In addition to short, tight line, high stick techniques, you can also nymph fish without an indicator at medium or even longer distances.

This is sometimes called "slack line" nymphing.

You use a reach cast and mends to create a drag free drift.

And reading the current. There are places on the streams where the current flows in such a way that you can get a long, drag free float pretty easily.

In the era before float indicators, this type of nymphing was commonly done. Since float use has become widespread, not as many people fish this way. But it's a lot of fun.

I like a variety of strike indicators for a variety of situations. In particular, I think they are very effective for bass fishing in rivers.

Do they spook fish per the OP's question? Based on personal experience, I'd guess not very often.

It's not a questions of if they spook fish, per se, it's a questions of spooking the fish you want to catch. We all know immature fish hit more things, more often, and the 20"ers we all hope for hit less often. I think it's possible that indicators can be a detriment to these fish.

I'll never forget walking Valley in the park by the 90 degree pool and seeing a giant sitting in the shallows, probably 40-50' away, and not a second after spotting him he spooked. I couldn't believe how far away he was (relatively speaking), but he knew. What else does that fish sense?

There are lots of ways to catch fish. I probably employ about half of them. I've never used a thingamabobber but I have used the sticky foam strike indicators attached to the top of my leader (I haven't used one yet this year).

Most of the time I tight line. My top choice is tightlining since I find it so relaxing plus the strikes are tremendous. When the water is colder or the water is deeper I am forced to sort of fish Czech style where I have very little line out and I cast to 10 o'clock and let it work to 2 o'clock then repeat over and over. I catch fish this way but I find it mentally tiring. Watching the tip of my fly line for a very subtle take is effective but not fun (unless you run into a pod of fish in the area about the size of a truck hood). Pulling out a fish every cast tends to relieve the stress. However in general if you ever fished by Joe Humpheries, in his prime, "rod high elbows in" he looked so uncomfortable. The mans trap muscles had to be reservoirs for lactic acid.

So I tend to fish in a way that I find most interesting & relaxing but if it's not working I will switch to something that may present my fly in a more effective way (eye level to the fish) so they just need to open their mouth and not expend energy. If I catch a number of fish I may continue (I've caught 30+ doing this), but if I'm picking up just a few I'll go back to tight lining or throwing a streamer which I find infinitely more fun. Ultimately stream conditions and temp will force your hand sometimes.

I rarely indicator fish, but it is something in the arsenal. My biggest problem with indicator fishing is I lose focus and just "chuck and chance it". That never seems to work well. For long distance work over a run sometimes bobber indicators are my most comfortable way of fishing. Without the crutch of an indicator I tend to focus on the fishing a bit more.

Learning fly fishing 50 or so years ago I too use tight lining close in and slack line nymphing further out, especially in riffles. (BTW, back in the day both techniques were used with worms and salmon eggs by deadly old timers) Sometimes a yarn indicator a foot from the fly line connection helps monitor the drift. The key to slack line nymphing is to mend, mend, mend so that the end of the fly line is dead drifting. IMHO, poor mending skills have kept slack line out of popularity. Focus these days is more on casting and less on control of the fly line once it is on the water. The way I learned is that once the end of the fly line is dragging the drift is over and you need to recast. None of the let it drag around downstream (OK, maybe in some rare cases) which I see a lot these days.

But the bottom line for me is, I've fished long enough so that I mostly fish the way I like to fish at the moment whether or not it catches the most fish. Of course I was more into numbers in my 20's and 30's but these days I like to fish the way that offers me the most relaxation - which is rarely indicator fishing.

When I was in Colorado this past year I was on a trip were we used a leader were the beginning section was florescent orange and yellow. It made a huge difference for tight line nymphing. It was very easy to follow the line and detect strikes. I have some of the Rio two tone tippet material and Furled a couple of 1.5' to 2' sections and added it to the beginning of my furled leaders and it worked great. The next time I make furled leaders, I am going to incorporate this into some nymph leaders.

Back