Discount Hooks?

Coincidentally, I just came from this site looking for hooks myself. There seems to be a lot of positive testimonials.

http://greencaddis.com/fly-tying-hooks.html

MD_Gene wrote:
Coincidentally, I just came from this site looking for hooks myself. There seems to be a lot of positive testimonials.

http://greencaddis.com/fly-tying-hooks.html

ive bought some hooks from green caddis outfitters and replaced them with allen hooks.

a lot of the hook had a curve in the shank when they should be straight

a lot of the hooks were over bent at the bend of the hook. you have to put them in your vise and pull up on the eye to fix them.

not very good in the quality control department.

i'll buy allen hooks from now on

your milage may vary

Blue Quill Angler has Dai-Riki hooks for 20% off. You get 50 hooks for about $5.55. No tax and free shipping.

I just ordered some Dai-Riki hooks from Bluequillangler.com. They are 20% off right now. I have noticed more than one pro-tyer on the web using them so I figure they must at least be okay.

Hope this helps.

MD_Gene wrote:
I have noticed more than one pro-tyer on the web using them so I figure they must at least be okay.

You know often "pro tyers" get their junk for free, right? That's the whole point.

Just because you see advertisements, doesn't mean its actually good. Just that their marketing budget is.

i try to use eagle claw hooks whenever possible,i find they are usually very reasonably priced.

my second choice is mustad.i can usually get some deals on ebay.

next choice is TMC.i find these have a lot more problems with quality control than eagle claw or mustad.

dai riki and daichi seem ok.just ok.

i will tye on anything i get my hands on though.

I use the J. Stockard house brand for most of my trout flies...they had some quality control issues early on, but they've really improved and are an excellent product for the price now.

I got some Allen hooks, but they were way off from what I am used to. I use Daichii Hooks as that's what my shop carries.

Comparing the hooks, the Allen's were bad. I had many per pack that the hook gap was off and the lengths varied.

I got some beads and they were good but I was not impressed with the hooks. I know a lot of people really like them but I got a bad batch. I had gotten almost 10 packs of hooks and it was the same across the board.

---------------------------------
gfen wrote:

You know often "pro tyers" get their junk for free, right? That's the whole point.

Just because you see advertisements, doesn't mean its actually good. Just that their marketing budget is.
--------------------------------------

That's a good point and didn't think of it myself. But I see guys on utube who are not pros use Dai-Riki hooks. I got my order in 3 business days from CO to MD and the hooks pass the "nail drag test".

But getting back to your point, I'll bet no pro golfer pays a lick for their Titleists. :)

I have not been tying long enough to offer comparison of one brand vs. another and will not try.

I will say I have been using Allen hooks and have caught several large Lackawanna browns on them and have had no issues with them strength-wise. This is on various sizes from 10 down to 18.

Allen's delivery of hooks is free and they have always arrived quickly. They are also consistently sharp out of the bag.

what I will say about the allen hooks are if your going to buy them and they have a 2x heavy hook and a regular wire in the same hook style....go with the 2x heavy hooks. Will work with the trout around the state and also in case you tie flies up for erie and new York fishing. The regular wire in my opinion are a little flimsy. TCO Fly Shop is where I get my hooks. Its the TCO brand hooks that are identical to the Tiemco hooks and you can get a 25 pk for like $2.95. Pretty cheap for high quality hooks

Green Caddis site is having a sale. Hooks that were $3.95 are $1.98. That's for 25. They are also having 40%off on fly boxes.
Just Google green caddis

Dryflyguyhad a significantly different experience than me.I found the Dai-Riki size 22's to be too big.

I am hoping to home in on one brand, perhaps 2 and reduce clutter in my inventory of hooks. I am still of the philosophy that one can get by with 5 or 6 different styles of hooks. Say 6 different styles of each times an average of 8 sizes that makes about 48 (say 50) different hooks one needs 95% of the time. But that's just be trying to reduce clutter without reducing effectiveness.

How long does it usually take to receive hooks ordered from Allen?

I ordered some hooks and beads on the 6th of Dec. and they show them being shipped on the 12th.

dc410 wrote:

I ordered a nice size order on Black Friday and still have not received them. I did hear from them that the BF orders overwhelmed them and they were catching up. I did receive an email and they have now shipped. Very unusual for them.

I've found that Dai Riki hooks lose their sharpness very quickly and every pack I've purchased has had atleast 5 hooks where the eye was not closed to the point they were unusable. I took a chance on getting some discount hooks from thefishguy.com and they were garbage. I've not tried Allen fly hooks but am a big fan of Daiichi especially the big eye hooks they make for Orvis. IMO I'll pay for good hooks and good tippet since they are in the cheaper realm of fly fishing purchases.

Foxgap239 wrote:
dc410 wrote:

I ordered a nice size order on Black Friday and still have not received them. I did hear from them that the BF orders overwhelmed them and they were catching up. I did receive an email and they have now shipped. Very unusual for them.

Just for reference I received my BF order in less than a week which is pretty typical of Allen. Its easy to see how they may have been overwhelmed with orders as they came in during the special.

I typically receive my orders from Allen in 5 or 6 days. I would bet their half-off sale over-whelmed them and slowed delivery down.

Hello,

Yes, the BF sale was way more popular that we all expected and it didn't stop for several days after. We had the "oh wow" look just hours after the release. We hired a few part time workers to help fill orders. Hope everyone enjoys the products. We are back shipping within 48 hrs now on orders.

Thank you,

Justin

Back