Dewey Beach Fishing?

mystillwater

mystillwater

I'm in Dewey Beach for a couple days. Planning to head out and fish tomorrow. We're staying on the bay with a pier out back. Thought i'd try that tonight.

I've got a standard 8wt setup with floating and sinking line. Some clousers. Some deceivers. Nothing fancy. No boat. No guide. No stripping basket. No Spey rod.

Never caught a fish in salt before though i've spent a few hours trying (in the OBX last summer). I don't mind just giving it the old college try but i thought i'd hop on here and see if anyone had tips? or a hot spot i should try.

I'm gonna check the times for high/low tide and see if i can hit the inlet an hour or two before high tide and fish for 4 hours or so as it peaks and starts to go back out.

fish the inlet to about 300 yards north, good area along the beach. drag a clouser over the bottom in the wash good chance of a fluke. back behind the coast guard station is a good area for weakies..should have a few poppers and a few grass shrimp patterns too. make sure you have a few silversides also..

Years ago, I used to fish Indian River Inlet quite a bit. This time of year I used to have some decent success fishing the north jetty for blues and bass. Will say though that the jetty is treacherous. It can be a fish magnet tho. But like any migratory fishing, the fish are either there or they are not. Gotta put in your time.

So my suggestion is go to the inlet find a pair of korkers, and a striping basket. Throw a sinking line with a clouser or deceiver and see what is going on.

I always though it was easier to navigate the rocks when the tide was high. Just had to watch out for the waves. Reason being, there are gaps in the rocks, that you need to hop, and when the tide is low, the gap looked huge, but when the water will fill in, it looked not as bad. And if you get a wave coming, don’t brace yourself cause you will get pushed off of the rocks. Instead hop down into gap between the rocks. You will get wet, but won’t take a tumble. An old timer told me that. It works!

You can make a servicable stripping basket for $3 at any store that sells plastic trays. I bought one at Sprawlmart, about 12x8x6, used for warshing dishes. Couple of wireties through th eside, and it loops over my wading belt.

With that said, I hate it and never use it and feel I look like an even bigger feminine hygiene product with it strapped around my gut, but it works.

If you can find a bridge over a pass, the lights off the bridge will attract baitfish, which in turn brings in the predators. Take a few minutes to drive to a couple after the sun sets to see if you can get a line out to the lighted areas from any access you might have. The lighted areas, and the "shadow lines" are supposed to be hot points.

I always though it was easier to navigate the rocks when the tide was high. Just had to watch out for the waves. Reason being, there are gaps in the rocks, that you need to hop, and when the tide is low, the gap looked huge, but when the water will fill in, it looked not as bad. And if you get a wave coming, don’t brace yourself cause you will get pushed off of the rocks. Instead hop down into gap between the rocks. You will get wet, but won’t take a tumble. An old timer told me that. It works!

there was that low spot to about halfway out always filled with water at high tide. don't forget about the jetty rats too. great place to get nice fish though.

Behind the coast guard station was always a good spot for tide runner weaks, 10lb.+ fish.

Back