DePuy's Spring Creek, Paradise Valley, Montana

Not to hijack, but out of curiosity, why is everyone recommending mid September? I'll actually be taking my first trip out there September 10th.

cool waters and the promise of sex gets the trout and troutettes antsy and less cautious.However the best action will still be when the sun is NOT on the water.Either after it goes down and before it rises or best of all worlds,cloudy,drizzly days.Unbelievable how good it gets-that time of year you don't want to think small- so streamers or stripping on the surface- until around mid Oct.. sun on the water will have the better fish hunkering down so rest up and get out there when it isn't.

We've been fishing spruce moth imitations the past week or 2 on some of the streams mentioned in this post and having lots of fun. Catching 20, 30, 40 fish in several hours.

One thing I notice is that visiting anglers often do not go high up enough on these smaller streams at this time of the year and short change themselves in experiencing what these streams really offer in terms of quality fishing.

For you guys that are planning a trip to MT in the next few weeks or month, the river levels are very low, and getting even lower by the day. As a result, you might find some of the better fishing early or late in the day, or high up in the headwaters as already mentioned.

As an aside, a couple days ago I was fishing high up on one of the streams mentioned earlier, and walked by a large beaver pond that was filled with large brook trout - most were 10"-15"- easily over 100 of them. The low water level had them trapped in like sitting ducks. I was amazed how many were in there. Hope they survive the summer.

John

Moth imitations? Does that just resemble a giant caddis pattern?

Have you been fishing hoppers? I tied up a bunch just to see what tying with foam was all about, was hoping I'd have an opportunity to fish them.

I like a Blue Ribbon Flies Spruce Moth imitation. There is a video on their website. It is very simple to tie on a 14 hook, with white or cream body, Z-Lon underwing, and deer hair on top.

Not many grasshoppers around here on the Yellowstone this summer, for the 3rd year straight. I took my Polaris for a ride on a grassy hillside overlooking the valley earlier this evening specifically to look for hoppers, and I did see a few, so there might be some hope for them by the time you're here.

Back