Delaware River Flow - Provide your input

Wulff-Man

Wulff-Man

I just received this notice from a local fly fishing club that I belong to. Support is being requested for public comment on improved flow regimens through the New York dam releases. You can read the details of the issue in the sample letter that is provided. Please forward the letter or your own comments if you would like to support the plan for improved Delaware River flow. You can e-mail their letter without joining or signing in.

http://www.drarp.org/heard.php?tr=y&auid=2458458

[color=0000CC] "The Delaware River Basin Commission (DRBC) will soon be voting on a new proposal for managing water releases from three New York City reservoirs that directly impact 120 miles of rivers, including the famed upper main stem of the Delaware River, the West Branch Delaware, East Branch Delaware, and Neversink Rivers. The deadline for public comment is April 6th. We need you to tell the Governors and New York City that the Delaware River ecosystem must be protected.

The Delaware River has been mismanaged since the Supreme Court partitioned its many tributaries to ensure sufficient water supplies for New York City, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Inflexible and antiquated rules designed over a half century ago result in fish kills, a depressed recreational economy, communities in fear of flooding, and a damaged ecosystem.

In years when rainfall is plentiful, water releases are often at their lowest, exposing large sections of river bottom and warming water temperatures to lethal levels. Water levels often fluctuate wildly, disrupting insect hatches and needlessly damaging the health of the rivers and a multi-million dollar recreational tourist industry.

A coalition of conservation groups including Trout Unlimited have developed an adaptive release policy that follows the same framework as the DRBC’s proposed policy, but delivers more water to the rivers in the spring and summer. The policy “adapts” by releasing more water when reservoirs are higher and adjusts releases by season. The coalition’s policy creates significant habitat gains for trout, American shad, and the overall health of the main stem of the Delaware River and its headwaters. Extensive modeling and analysis have verified that the coalition's adaptive release policy poses no additional risk to water supplies.

Please write an a letter to Delaware Basin Governors and New York City, and urge them to support the conservation coalition's Adaptive Release Policy. The coalition’s adaptive release policy can initiate a new chapter for one of the premier wild trout river systems in the East, and potentially could serve as a national and international model for river management. Please feel free to get in touch with me with any questions or if you need more information."

Nat Gillespie
Fisheries Scientist, Trout Unlimited
(703) 284-9431
ngillespie@tu.org
[/color]

The flow plan that National wants will be worse for the river then what we have now. There will be another proposal on the bard, if National will listen that will make everyone happy. I urge you to write National and tell them to get input from the State Council, so far National has refused, and they even argued with me about whether or not PA had any input. Believe me they never asked the State Council about flows on the Delaware even after I got into their face about 3 years ago. Just say NO! to the plan, it sucks. It means far less water then we currently get and far less water then we got before NAtional TU was involved. The water is there, let it flow.

Back