Deer Creek Allegheny County

R

Rickb326

I often times fish deer creek in allegheny county. Up until about a week ago I was catching fish on a regular basis. I have had success with both san juan worms and flashback pheasant tails.

However I stopped to do some fishing yesterday and much to my disappointment I didn't even see a fish. I can only figure a few reasons.
1. They didn't stock very much.
2. People are illegally taking them.
3. People are not being cautious in their releasing.

Does anyone fishing this area notice the same things?

I've never fished it.
But I'll bet the fish are still there.
Your lack of success was probably due to something else.
We did have some very cold weather last week - I remember several mornings there were some lows in the teens. That can make the fish very lethargic.

Things certainly don't always go as planned in this sport. That's why its' called fishing - and not catching!

Could be, but I did catch a fish there right after that last snowfall. It was just strange that in places where there were 10 fish a week ago I didn't see one. Just rock bottom!

they move, but they didnt stock it very well im opinion

Fished it yesterday. Seems a few holes have all the few dozen fish, including this thing

p4011546.jpg

Exactly what I've found as well. Didn't see that fella though great catch

Sweet! great pic! How big is that?

I'll guess 23 inches.

Not sure of the exact size but it was was over 20. Pretty silly pellethead.

BB -

There was a picture in the post gazette several weeks ago, of a guy with a large rainbow from deer creek. They guessed that it weighed around 5 pounds if I remember correctly.
Guess they're stocking some biguns there this year

i stocked it they put some magnums in believe me

That's the first time I fished it, funny because it's about 5 minutes from my house.

I never even knew about til this year as well and its only 15 haha

I was hoping to run into carp in the golf course section. Need to find a good carp spot in the north hills area.

Evergreen park thats all there is is carp in that pond.

Nice fish! I have caught a few, it just seemed like less fish than I have seen in the past. There are a few big carp in Pine Creek around the bottom of the DHALO section. I usually try not to catch them. If you don't mind me asking what did you use to catch that beauty?

I caught those Pine Creek carp in High School! I caught that bow on a brown san juan worm.

Well i caught a huge rainbow today on deer creek. I have a net from L.L.Bean that this fish wouldn't even fit inside. It was about 21 inches. Bad part, I went to take a picture with my phone of this magnificant fish... Phone went in the drink!

we lost a magnum too elsewhere it was pushing 24-25

Deer Creek is a nice stream. Lots of nice holes to hold fish over for a while especially above the golf course. It does blow out quick though after high flows and Im sure they get pushed around.

Bull Creeks dhalo section seems to keep the fish longer, maybe due to less pressure. Ive seen a few campfires streamside though around opening day...never a good sign.

Back