De-barbing Large Hooks

S

SteveG

I've become a fan of the stainless Tiemco 811S hooks for a number of reasons e.g. very sharp, corrosion resistance, and the large gape provides better hookset on large fish. But of most importance, to me anyway, is that it has greatly reduced catastrophic hooking of smaller fish through the eyes etc because they have trouble getting their mouth on it. I've actually gotten quite good at bouncing them off the hook on purpose.

The only problem I've found with this hook, is in de-barbing it. Just using pliers still results in a barb of sorts, and it does hamper quick removal and release, especially if a larger fish engulfs the fly. I tried using a small set of files from Home Depot, but they didn't do a thing. Maybe they're not meant for stainless?

It turns out I already had the solution at home, via a Dremel tool. The old kit I have has a small tapered "stone" bit that is perfectly sized for working in the hook gap. Now I just break off a majority of the barb with a pair of needle nose pliers, then insert the hook, near the eye, in the vise and give it 5 seconds working the Dremel tool to smooth out the stub. Safety glasses are a good precaution. Save some time and do a whole pack of hooks at a time, it only takes a few minutes.

I have a small thin file I keep at my tying desk to take off barbs. Not as fancy as that dremel but works as well.

Hack saw works well too ;-)

I'm talking 1/0 stainless hooks. Small file was useless.

A Dremel tool to debard large hooks is a great idea. Thanks!

I use a Dremel as well. Stainless steel hooks 1/0 to 5/0 take forever with a hand file.

Back