Cumberland County LEVIETHANS are a tease!

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

I hit several streams this evening just in time for perfect brown trout monster hunting. Light rain, breezy, overcast with water still colored from yesterdays down pours.

First fish encountered shot out from under a bank and followed a streamer retrieve over top of several weed beds. I ran out of water even with the elevated water levels and had to stop because of high weed beds out of the water. The fish was coming straight towards me and was 4-5" across, and seemed female brown over 2 feet.

Later, I came back to the area of the first sighting, but a different approach angle. I moved the fish gain, but only enough to verify it's location.

Pondering the chance of another fish adjacent to the first, I continued to cast to other spots and had a second large fish roll towards my streamer. It then floated down stream closer to me. It was then 5 feet from my feet…right in front of me…with a open gap in the bank plants. An easy 2-foot male brown. I swung the same streamer down stream and flipped it around to face back upstream several feet from the fish that was still right in front of me. I pulsed it teasingly in the front of it. He moved forward with a large gaping white mouth open. I imagined it thinking how its dinner might taste and watched as it just swam behind the streamer. I proceeded to move the fly around like you might taunt a muskie. It just stayed behind with out the violent strike I was expecting. Then it drifted off under the bank under my feet.

I had several other large fish pursue, but no strikes. A different streamer maybe would have got it done…maybe.

So, yes a GoPro would have been awesome…but I do not have one.

More mental notes taken and stored for upcoming evening mousing events.

Really close to having an "epic evening" of Monster Browns…still way cool to encounter beasts that materialize from nowhere.

I teased them tonight…but long term…they will have teased me much much more!

Get You Some Of That!

i was just going to suggest a longer rod, shorter leader and figure of 8 like they do with muskies maybe, when i read the middle bit....

great story though !

I have the broom stick with me...and a really long handled net. I'm going to pick up some 65-lb braid and chuck the mouse.

Get em Kolchak!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 3
Sounds like it was exciting at the very least. Try it when the water is a little off color right after a rain; you already have them marked..

Van_Cleaver,

You are correct…and you may have missed my setup statements:
"I hit several streams this evening just in time for perfect brown trout monster hunting. Light rain, breezy, overcast with water still colored from yesterdays down pours."

You will not see the same fish until those conditions exist!

Back