Cress bug/sow bug patterns

jayL

jayL

What's your favorite? I've developed my own, but have yet to fish it:

I weight it with one of those lead matchbook twist ons. I lash it to the hook, and it gives it a wide, flat shape.

I use some kind of pearl colored clear scud back, as well as sow scud dubbing.

Dub the body, pull the back over it, and whip. It really comes out nice and flat.

I use lead wire wraped aroung the hook, fortified with thread wraps, and then pinched flat with needle nose pliers. (Yes, I loose some lead and some thread breaks when pinched)

I dub with hare-tron grey and brown mix and rib with grey rod winding thread. The head of the fly is also grey.

I pisk out the dubbing between the ribs with a bodkin or t-needle and trim it even.

I often place a medial line on the back of the fly, using fine copper wire or brown rod winding thread.

I like the idea of the flat lead, and just bought some; so I'll give that a try.

I use lead-free wire (wrapped, not pinched), clear thin skin for the shell, rib with mono, and a smokey olive scud dubbing. I pick out the underside with the bodkin and done.

muskrat and olive in different percentages depending on the stream some with a shell and some out.

joe e

Hit the road Jack, this fly is killer.

Tie up a few Ray Charles' in white, gray or olive and you won't be disappointed. You can add lead too if you please but I've caught fish on this fly from Spring to the Big Horn.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac022304.php

I'm fishing the bighorn this summer, so I will definitely be stopping at TCO for ostrich herl this afternoon.

Thanks!

Jay, you are aware of the TCO shop on Penn St in Bryn Mawr right? It's only 20 mins from the Art Museum. :cool:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Jay, you are aware of the TCO shop on Penn St in Bryn Mawr right? It's only 20 mins from the Art Museum. :cool:

And about 4 minutes from where I work... I'll probably go over lunch. :)

You can't beat that with a big stick! Where do you work? Also, whats your take on the guy that works there "and that little dog too"? :lol: Actually, I love that dog.

wildtrout2 wrote:
You can't beat that with a big stick! Where do you work?

Radnor. The commute sucks, but at least it passes a fly shop... and villanova girls.

I haven't met the dog. When's he there? I usually only stop in on weekends.

theres a good sowbug tying video on youtube, i'll try and look it up for you

How I managed to stop by the shop for a bag of Ostrich herl turned into a $63 bill is beyond me. I didn't even get any ostrich in gray, so I'm going to have to hit another shop! :-\ I must be an idiot. :lol:

jay it's a sickness really. i'll stop into my local shop just to chat but never walk out without spending at least $20. on what i don't know but i usually never get what i originally went in for. just one of those things.

ps

the big horn will be awesome. when i was there we averaged fish of 18" and got many in the 22-24 range. i've never used a guide there but i have a friend who goes every year with 'the guide' for the horn name Roger. not sure of last name but he get's them into some huge fish. a drift boat with a couple of friends would be a really good idea as you can cover much more water than by just wading.

just a few thoughts for you.

StudentofTheStream wrote:
jay it's a sickness really. i'll stop into my local shop just to chat but never walk out without spending at least $20. on what i don't know but i usually never get what i originally went in for. just one of those things.

ps

the big horn will be awesome. when i was there we averaged fish of 18" and got many in the 22-24 range. i've never used a guide there but i have a friend who goes every year with 'the guide' for the horn name Roger. not sure of last name but he get's them into some huge fish. a drift boat with a couple of friends would be a really good idea as you can cover much more water than by just wading.

just a few thoughts for you.

I'm fishing with flybop, so that should be taken care of.

Thanks for the tips, though! I am already losing sleep over it, and it's not until july. Luckily all the excitement (plus the upcoming jam) has me out of my tying funk.

I agree Jay. I have some brown ostrich herl and tied up a sow bug on my lunch break today... also 2 sulphurs and 2 march browns to slowly get ready for the jam. I've been fishing every chance I get before my local put and take is fished out, but gotta find time to tie a few doezen flies before the jam and to make up for my lack of tying for myself over the winter. I swear I've given away close to 100 flies already this year...

Back