Creek Chub Thread

What is a Chubsman roster and how can I be a part of this?

Dauphin L.O.C is a collective that owns one specific piece of property in common via buy in for the purpose of a local private creek chub fly fishing social club. We pay a very part time “Ghillie/river keeper” if you will to maintain the property because otherwise the trails on the different beats are enveloped in reed canary grass. Its in a flood zone and a useless parcel so owned by multiple stakeholders for penuts.

Dauphin L.O.C is a collective that owns one specific piece of property in common via buy in for the purpose of a local private creek chub fly fishing social club. We pay a very part time “Ghillie/river keeper” if you will to maintain the property because otherwise the trails on the different beats are enveloped in reed canary grass. Its in a flood zone and a useless parcel so owned by multiple stakeholders for penuts.
That's actually pretty cool.

Nice. I'll have to look into it. I was thinking of creating a group like that in SEPA that would include chubs, fallfish, darters, and dace. Since PA has no record positions for such fish we'd start our own. It'd be an honor system on who catches the biggest. I of course would be a judge or maybe thee judge on fish photos for review as I can judge size pretty darn good and don't think I am fooled by those Instagram extended arm shots. Yeah, the nice thing with chub water is it's typically unloved by most anglers so it could probably be had cheap and you can avoid it getting stocked by you know who.

That's actually pretty cool.

We figured if you can do it for trout why not do it for creek chubs where its probably class A density equivalent without stocking. Got a bay organization to throw some native trees on it. It had a Ghillie hut already on it. Its never slept in in the absence of temporary marital issues . But serves as a nice place for club diners and bourbon.

Nice. I'll have to look into it. I was thinking of creating a group like that in SEPA that would include chubs, fallfish, darters, and dace. Since PA has no record positions for such fish we'd start our own. It'd be an honor system on who catches the biggest. I of course would be a judge or maybe thee judge on fish photos for review as I can judge size pretty darn good and don't think I am fooled by those Instagram extended arm shots. Yeah, the nice thing with chub water is it's typically unloved by most anglers so it could probably be had cheap and you can avoid it getting stocked by you know who.

Oh yea I don’t have to worry about stocking within many many stream miles of the property. We have Chub tourneys, the chub spawn festival where families come.

Just so we are all clear, though, chubs are not anywhere near as cool as fallfish and they never will be.....

Agreed, could not afford a private maintained fall fish fishery other wise the L.O.C would have gone that direction. But the chubs create an excellent dry fly fishery. They really get going on the tricos

^Big facts, which is why my idea is a bit more inclusive than strictly chubs, though I don't mind going after them, even the two inch ones in which I employ a Japanese "Edo style" method by removing my fly rod tip and using it to dap with.

^Big facts, which is why my idea is a bit more inclusive than strictly chubs, though I don't mind going after them, even the two inch ones in which I employ a Japanese "Edo style" method by removing my fly rod tip and using it to dap with.

We have an EDO league, its every other wed. We are at about 50% participation

Rod Father I saw your name on the Dauphin County League of Chubsman roster are you coming out to the smeltzer farm for the L.O.C creek chub one fly this sat?
Yep. I'm just getting back into PA from my Michigan trip. Got some good stories to tell and a new IPA to share as well as a bourbon aged in michigan maple syrup barrels.

Yep. I'm just getting back into PA from my Michigan trip. Got some good stories to tell and a new IPA to share as well as a bourbon aged in michigan maple syrup barrels.
When Bill moved to Seattle to do his cardio thoracic fellowship I thought he would be waiting a long time to be bought out on his stake and then 2 months later I saw your name on the roster. I think thats the fastest we have turned over a spot. Excited to meet you and exchange bourbon over the evening hatch my friend.

Was walking with the family on the rail trail somewhere between schuyllkill and Lancaster counties with lebanon and dauphin in the middl. I usually bring a 7 foot 3 weight glass rod with me because its not uncommon to pass by unposted very small creeks filled with wild native creek chubs. I had on a size 10 brown bead-head wooly bugger and happened to stumble upon a deep pool in a stream that went under the rail trail. It must have had over 50 creek chubs in it some monsters around 8-9”s. I started jigging the bugger and one shot over and ravenously attacked it. Measured 7” on my rod and was a fat fish. I think jigging wooly buggers under bridges and culvert pools is my nee favorite way to fish these pools. I still love standard upstream dry fly presentation used for chubs by most of the members in the Dauphin County League of chubsmen on club property but this method seems to really effective in these deep pools. Anyone else jigging streamers for chubs?

Dauphin County League of chubsmen on club property but this method seems to really effective in these deep pools. Anyone else jigging streamers for chubs?
Just call it Club Chub. Or Chub Club.

In my younger days I caught chubs using a small flower impaled on a hook and spinning gear with 4 lb test.

And we caught suckers (also native) by hand fishing. I caught many that way.

We tried getting suckers with gigs (spears) at night. That's much more difficult. I never got one that way, and I don't recall that my brothers did either. But splashing around in a creek at night throwing spears is a lot of fun when you're young. (This was pre-video games, pre-cable TV, pre-internet.)

I still love standard upstream dry fly presentation used for chubs by most of the members in the Dauphin County League of chubsmen on club property but this method seems to really effective in these deep pools. Anyone else jigging streamers for chubs?
I love that area. Some nice aggressive chub up that way. Ive also seen some big Northern Hogsuckers in Swatty up there. Really neat fish to see up that way. I have jigged some holes back in Upper Peninsula for brookies, but never for chub. Ill have to try that out.

Just call it Club Chub. Or Chub Club.

In my younger days I caught chubs using a small flower impaled on a hook and spinning gear with 4 lb test.

And we caught suckers (also native) by hand fishing. I caught many that way.

We tried getting suckers with gigs (spears) at night. That's much more difficult. I never got one that way, and I don't recall that my brothers did either. But splashing around in a creek at night throwing spears is a lot of fun when you're young. (This was pre-video games, pre-cable TV, pre-internet.)
We tried having holding events with chub club but it never took. DCLOC doesn’t do much outside the the LOC

I love that area. Some nice aggressive chub up that way. Ive also seen some big Northern Hogsuckers in Swatty up there. Really neat fish to see up that way. I have jigged some holes back in Upper Peninsula for brookies, but never for chub. Ill have to try that out.
Northern hog suckers up in lower clarks are thick too. Yea that chub bite on jigging wooly buggers is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Back