Creek Chub Thread

Chubs is to Squatch, as Kryptonite is to Superman.

Or ticks is to Swattie. I’m fine with Chubs.

what happened with him and chubs?

Personally, I enjoy the chub. I guess I'm just not a size queen. I like the fight in the little guys. Yeah, it's nice to rip into a 20 inch brown and have a battle, but I prefer the native brookies and chub and fallfish, even the blacknose dace over the invasive browns and channel cats.

I like to think I'd make a good NFC member one day.

Personally, I enjoy the chub. I guess I'm just not a size queen. I like the fight in the little guys. Yeah, it's nice to rip into a 20 inch brown and have a battle, but I prefer the native brookies and chub and fallfish, even the blacknose dace over the invasive browns and channel cats.

Agreed. Also when every stream near your house meets class A chub density why deny tour self an amazing dry fly and streamer fishery in your own backyard. If you want a life on the water but only get out once a week because you gotta turn the odometer for trout you don’t have a life on the water now do ya.

I for one, enjoy catching these chubs. There's a creek by my that is not suitable for much than dumping stockers into and it is full of them. I like that you can catch em' however you like. I've had larger versions of them take eggs that had the diameter of a penny. It's nice that these fish seem to still be feeding in winter and I have a lot of fun catching them then. That creek is nice to hit when I don't have much time to drive anywhere else. I do agree with Jifigz that it is often more fun to target fallfish and redbreasts so I tend to focus on those species.
What section of the state are red breasted sunfish common in streams? I’ve seen that mentioned often through the years on this site but I don’t remember ever catching one in a stream. Maybe it’s because I fish NWPA and NCPA.

Redbreast are very common all throughout the Susquehanna and Juniata drainages.

They are the usual sunfish in the Delaware drainage.

They are the usual sunfish in the Delaware drainage.
Yes.....all of eastern PA/Atlantic Drainages. I do not believe they are commonly found (or native to) the point where things start flowing west into the Mississippi. just slightly west of Central PA.

I kinda use creek chubs to gauge new brookie streams that I'm checking out.
Even though they certainly coexist with trout, their presence seems to indicate a not so great trout stream.

Last edited:
I have
Redbreast are very common all throughout the Susquehanna and Juniata drainages.
one spring creek where redbreasts overlap with creek chibs and fall fish, great mix.

Chubs is to Ocelot as cocaine is to Jim Sipala

Impressive how such a small fish can inhale such a large fly. I've never gotten a chub or dace on a streamer. I do nymph primarily on moving water though. I think we should start a thread on smallest fish caught on the biggest fly. We've had a thread on largest fly caught on the smallest fly. ASTOUNDINGLY good work FS, thanks for sharing.

I prefer the native brookies and chub and fallfish, even the blacknose dace over the invasive browns and channel cats.

What section of the state are red breasted sunfish common in streams? I’ve seen that mentioned often through the years on this site but I don’t remember ever catching one in a stream. Maybe it’s because I fish NWPA and NCPA.
They seem to be everywhere in SEPA. Can't think of many streams that DON'T have redbreasts, but I have my preferred creeks/rivers for targeting them. I think redbreasts may be my favorite in moving water, bluegill for stillwater because they get larger, also redbreasts don't live in ponds/lakes. I just found a bluegill mine local to me too so I'm gonna be chipping away at them for awhile. Why don't you come down here and I'll get you into redbreasts, in return I'd like to learn some of your steelhead tactics as I wasn't so hot back in March. I'm a mediocre angler in most regards but I'd like to think of myself as a bit of panfish enthusiast.

Rod Father I saw your name on the Dauphin County League of Chubsman roster are you coming out to the smeltzer farm for the L.O.C creek chub one fly this sat?

Back