cranefly larva

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson wrote:
Here then, a stone clinger would be a nymph that looks like these. Is that american enough troutbert? :lol:

You're welcome.

lol

mike_richardson wrote:
Gfen, I want a fly with a little more trainular shape then a common hares ear to mimic these guys. A hares ear will work obviously, but like to have more variety to my nymph box.

trout-fish-anatomy1.jpg

mike_richardson wrote:
A stone clinger nymph would be a march brown,Olive Uprights, Yellow May’s, August Duns,.

basically the may flyies with large triangular shaped heads and bodies with thick legs. They cling to the rocks on the bottom.

Look up Oliver Edwards stone clinger pattern for a better idea.

When Oliver Edwards is talking about "march brown,Olive Uprights, Yellow May’s, August Duns", he is talking about insects that do not exist in North America.

These exact insects may not exist in the U.S. but we do have stone clinger varieties of mayfly nymphs.

most people just call them clinger nymphs, there are 4 types clingers, crawlers, burrowers and swimmmers

po-tay- toe, po-tot-o, tom- mate-oe /tom-mot-oe, same thing.

a tear drop shaped nymph with a fat head, thick legs, gills on its abdomin, long slender tails, flat profile. you get the gist.

Done explaining things to people who already know exactly what im talking about ;)

mike_richardson wrote:
These exact insects may not exist in the U.S. but we do have stone clinger varieties of mayfly nymphs.

Let us know when the Olive Uprights start hatching in your area.

:)

po-tay- toe, po-tot-o, tom- mate-oe /tom-mot-oe,

po-ta-toe = sweet
po-tot-o = russet

tom-mate-oe = fruit
tom-mot-oe = vegtable

there for they are not the same !!

BradFromPotter wrote:
troutbert wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

What's an Olive Upright?

It's a mayfly that's found in Great Britain, but that doesn't exist in North America.

If you read the earlier posts, you'll see the context.

BradFromPotter wrote:
troutbert wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

What's an Olive Upright?

another word for "hare's ear."

greenish pole that holds up your house..

troutbert wrote:
BradFromPotter wrote:
troutbert wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

What's an Olive Upright?

It's a mayfly that's found in Great Britain, but that doesn't exist in North America.

If you read the earlier posts, you'll see the context.

I always thought it was one of these.:)
http://www.sears.com/american-trunk-case-capri-27-in-olive-upright/p-01498142000P

mike_richardson wrote:
Done explaining things to people who already know exactly what im talking about ;)

Almost as bad as pepople asking questions to which they already know the answer.
Y'all are having far too much fun with this!

The olive up rights were coming off like crazy tonight on the LC

I prefer olive down lefts....yea I went there.

Here is a made in USA link explaining the different classifications of MF nymphs:

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=122

Thanks for the link

Back