Crackleback

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Great panfish fly (Baron), but also catches trout. Easy tie with common materials.

I found this pattern a couple years ago, tied several up and it has been a good small stream pattern for the summer months. I used my last one, this past week so I should tie some more. Very similar to griffiths knat, but the palmered hackle in the opposite direction seems to skate better and it is a good high floater for riffles.

It has not done well in a dry dropper at staying boyant, but an EHC or small stimulators are my go to there.

I've intended to tie this but was out of some supplies.......soon.

lycoflyfisher wrote:
Very similar to griffiths knat, but the palmered hackle in the opposite direction

I think more people tie a Griffith's Gnat with the hackle facing in the same direction as the Crackleback than not.

Hmmm, Reidietz. I've noticed a bunch tied with the hackle facing forward. Recently it seemed to me that most folks tie caddis varieties that way.

One way to get a feel about how people prefer the hackle facing on a GG is to google "Griffith's Gnat" and then click on "Images". It's a mixed bag, but it looks like more people tie it with the hackle tips curving forward than rearward. It's certainly the way I tie it.

There's also some variation about whether it's tied in by the tip or stem.

Bob,
Yes I've noticed that. A friend on this board mentioned that its nice to be experienced enough to predetermine which direction and not like me where all too often its is laying the right direction only by chance. I'm getting better but slowly.
Afish you do a great job posting brief but pertinent vids.

Would the fish even see the herl/crackle part of it?

riverwhy wrote:

That was always my question about the fly, but if it's fished wet, it's possible.

redietz wrote:
riverwhy wrote:

That was always my question about the fly, but if it's fished wet, it's possible.

I've come to the conclusion that most fish are only interested in the action rather than the perfectness of the tie. Maybe not trout but most other species.

I believe you could tie a version of a Griffiths gnat or bivisible in any colors you like and match the hatch. I have made yellow ones with palmered hackle and successfully fished sulphurs using it. I just used a medium dun bivisible last night to some difficult bank feeders and did well.

larkmark wrote:
I believe you could tie a version of a Griffiths gnat or bivisible in any colors you like and match the hatch. I have made yellow ones with palmered hackle and successfully fished sulphurs using it. I just used a medium dun bivisible last night to some difficult bank feeders and did well.

I'd add Renegades to that list, as long as there isn't too much separation between the two hackles.

Back