Cracked Fly Line

I've repaired a few lines with a tiny dab of Krazy Glue. Worked like a charm every time.

outsider wrote:
I've repaired a few lines with a tiny dab of Krazy Glue. Worked like a charm every time.
I have done the same with the same result. Most recently a Cortland 2WF Spring Creek fly line that I think I stepped on. The core was even exposed and now it works as good as new.

Thanks guys. My friends are saying that with that crack it should definitely last through the weekend, but I'm just trying to be safe. Would gorilla glue work too?

If you place heat shrink tubing over it, heat it with a heat gun and roll it between your fingers the outer coating may fuse back together. Using clear heat shrink will allow you to see it as you work.

I wouldn't put Gorilla Glue on it. It expands and you'll end up with a tumor on your line...

Super/Krazy glue it and just hold the affected section tight so it closes the crack as best possible.

Remember that you have to fulfill your end of the accommodation with Rio and send them back a line that they can see is damaged/faulty. So, keep the fancy fixes to a minimum.

RLeep2 wrote:
I wouldn't put Gorilla Glue on it. It expands and you'll end up with a tumor on your line...

Super/Krazy glue it and just hold the affected section tight so it closes the crack as best possible.

Remember that you have to fulfill your end of the accommodation with Rio and send them back a line that they can see is damaged/faulty. So, keep the fancy fixes to a minimum.

Yeah, that's why I probably won't do much if anything to it, don't want to have to buy a new line after they see that I tried to repair it. I'll most likely use it how it is and if it snaps off (which it definitely shouldn't with only 6-7# tippet at the end of the line haha), then I'll just tie a perfection loop on the end for the remainder of my trip.

best thing is goop on cracks. I fix lines all the time here at the shop. also cutting 3 feet off of tip will not change a thing. the weight in grains is minimal.

If it is a double or level taper, why not just turn it around on the reel? That way you could still use it without the worry until you return it to Rio.

Back