Cracked Fly Line

Char_Master

Char_Master

Sunday afternoon while fishing for Steelhead in Erie I noticed that my fly line had two slight cracks in it. I'll take some pictures of it later, but to try to explain it, the outer part of the line chipped away slightly and if I brush my fingers against the cracked part, it lifts up and you can see all the way in to the core of the line (almost looks like a thick, white, braided line inside). It's like this in two different spots with one being more severe than the other, both in the top 3' of the line. I really don't want to buy an entire new spool of line because I just purchased it new for $65 three weeks ago, and the line has only had six total days of use fishing for Steelhead (the line, by the way, is Rio Gold WF8F). But at the same time, if the line is defective, then I don't want to risk using it and hooking up to a monster Chromer. I'm not sure how long it's been like this, but, I just noticed the cracks on Sunday afternoon after fishing all day Saturday and Sunday morning.

Any thoughts on what to do here? Do I keep using the line and risk something happening, deal with buying an entire new spool, or should I contact the company who, even if they would send me a new free spool, probably wouldn't arrive until long after I needed it (I'll be back on the Tribs this weekend and for about half of November and December). Thoughts?

As long as the core isn't cut/frayed, it wont loose any structural integrity, so you wouldn't have to worry about it "breaking". However, the core will soak up water and it will not float well at all anymore in that section. If it is truly not any further back than three inches, just cut the frayed part off, loosing 3 inches wont hurt the fly line performance any.

Well that's unfortunate, I definitely don't want the tip sinking when the water is low/clear and the fish are spooky. And they're in the top 3 feet, not inches, which I hate to cut off due to the taper.

Right, sorry, I read that wrong regarding the inches/feet. I would not cut off 3' of fly line.

You could try using a epoxy type sealant/adhesive, or UV resin and applying it the the cracked areas to seal it up? That's honestly what I would do.

I'll look in to that, thanks. Wasn't sure if there were any sealants for fly line or not.

I would take it back from wherever you bought it. If it has as short of a life as you say it does then it should be replaced. The outer cover of a fly line is just to help it float and build the taper. The core is basically a braided line like your backing. That shouldn't break from fighting a fish.

If you haven't already...
Google: "Repair fly line"

There are a few good ideas I'm sure you could use, if you decide not to return the line for a refund / exchange

http://www.hooked4life.ca/h4l/video_gallery/welding_videos/repair_lines/repair_lines.html

Try this.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
You could try using a epoxy type sealant/adhesive, or UV resin and applying it the the cracked areas to seal it up? That's honestly what I would do.
This ^^^

Because I fish mostly with studded wading shoes and I am not a ballerina, I have been carrying around a tube of Loon UV Knot Sense and the dinky little UV light included with the "kit" for years.

I have done instant field repairs on nicked lines and while it is impossible to get a perfectly smooth repair, the results are satisfactory.

An added benefit in my case is the little bump on the line from the UV Knot Sense repair reminds me I am a klutz and to be more careful.

So you purchased the line 3 weeks ago. I would be taking it back to where I purchased it and if possible and return the line. If that didn't work I would be calling RIO and explaining the issue and the situation. I dont know how there customer service is but it may surprise or disappoint you, but it would be worth trying. To have those issues within 3 weeks of new line seems like a defect unless you did something to cause the issues. At $65 I wouldn't be looking for a band-aid to fix the defective line. Return it or get it replaced.

Going to call Rio in a bit here but for now here's what the more severe crack looks like:
image_570.jpeg

nomad_archer wrote:
At $65 I wouldn't be looking for a band-aid to fix the defective line.

It isn't necessarily a defective line. All you need to do is step on it with studded boots and it can crack, regardless of how new it is. (Ask me how I know.)

Still, I would definitely try to return it and have it replaced before I tried to repair it.

Rio was very pleasent to deal with and I had the whole thing resolved within 30 minutes. They're going to replace the line for free, I just need to send them the current line, should take about 7-10 days total with shipping from Pgh. to Idaho and back. Unfortunately, it's my only steelhead line and I need it for this weekend, so I'm going to try to use it for two days straight slaying chrome this weekend. Not sure how the tip is going to perform, but lately I've been on a high-stick nymphing kick so hopefully it won't be too big of a deal, and the most drag I ever put on my reel is two pounds, so it definitely shouldn't snap. Either way, I'll be bringing my 9' 6wt small clicker-arbor I use for Trout just in case. This should be interesting haha.

redietz wrote:
nomad_archer wrote:
At $65 I wouldn't be looking for a band-aid to fix the defective line.

It isn't necessarily a defective line. All you need to do is step on it with studded boots and it can crack, regardless of how new it is. (Ask me how I know.)

Still, I would definitely try to return it and have it replaced before I tried to repair it.

Absolutely agree. I am assuming it is defective based on what I know. I did mention that would be my course of action unless the issue was caused by my clumsiness.

Char_Master glad to hear it was taken care of. You couldn't ask for much more.

This has happened to me 3 times before with Rio Line, Orvis Line, and Cabelas. Stepping on your fly line is the quickest way to make this happen but I have also had it happen when being lazy and dragging my fly line upstream and getting it caught on rocks debris.

Millsertime wrote:
Sounds like Deanna hooked you up...

I take it she's the one who handles all of the line problems, since yes, she was who I talked to.

Well, I'm going to be an idiot and try to use this line this weekend for Steelhead since it's on my only setup for them (9' 8wt). Is there anything I can do to prevent it from acting up or snapping? For all I know the crack was there all of last weekend and it made it through the dozen fish I caught, but, it may have happened after that as well. I could always use my 9' 6wt with my small arbor-click'n'pawl hybrid reel, but would prefer to use my larger arbor. Don't know anything I could use to seal it on the spot here but I think as long as I don't push it (I only ever use two pounds of drag at most when fighting fish), it should manage to make it through the day Saturday.

You could try coating the crack with Pliobond, putting a whip finish over the coating (maybe 1/2 long) and coating again. I've used heat shrink tubing for the same thing as well.

Or, since you're getting a new line, just bite the bullet and cut off the three feet. You'll only have to put up with it for one trip.

Back