Costa Rica

B

bdhoover77

In July 2023, my wife’s parents are taking us on a family trip to Costa Rica. We are staying on the west coast near Manuel Antonio National Park.

I have never been to Costa Rica and I also have never tried any saltwater fly fishing. I don’t know what fishing opportunities there may be, but I assume I’ll take the kids out on a fishing charter. I’d also like to do some fly fishing on my own.

Does anyone have suggestions on what gear to consider?

An 8wt is your main saltwater rod. Think about it as this, an 8wt in the saltwater world is what a 5wt is in the freshwater trout world.

I know nothing about Costa Rica fly fishing or their species. From my experience I'd pack a fast 8wt with a good reel (good drag, solid dependable reel) a floating line, flouro to build a leader out to 12' (both 16lb and 8lb tippet), and some size 2 clousers, kwans and gotchas in tan and/or pink.

It hit me after I posted earlier that I saw a picture in "A Passion for Tarpon" of Lefty Kreh playing a tarpon from a river bank in some jungle. So I checked the book when I got home and it was Costa Rica.
I'm going to guess that was on the East coast.

An 8wt is your main saltwater rod. Think about it as this, an 8wt in the saltwater world is what a 5wt is in the freshwater trout world.

I know nothing about Costa Rica fly fishing or their species. From my experience I'd pack a fast 8wt with a good reel (good drag, solid dependable reel) a floating line, flouro to build a leader out to 12' (both 16lb and 8lb tippet), and some size 2 clousers, kwans and gotchas in tan and/or pink.
...and, a fly line formulated for the tropics.

Bring wire leader because If you get a chance to catch a matchka on the fly take it.

I hand lined for em off a bridge dropping the line down between Crocs, wish I had my fly rod. Later snorkeled with them in a high elevation mountain plunge pool. Cool fish

Back