Converting a 4-section rod into a 3-section rod

Modern rods with integral ferrules simply cannot be made into two and four piece versions using the same mandrels. Stop. Do not pass go.

They do it all day long with rods utilizing spigot ferrules. Sleeve over versions utilizing no additional "piece" are hardly any different...

They do it all day long with rods utilizing spigot ferrules. Sleeve over versions utilizing no additional "piece" are hardly any different...
I cannot think of a major manufacturer that does not roll flared tip-over style ferrules as an integral part of the blank sections. The last big manufacturer I can think of off the top of my head that still added a ferrule sleeve to the blank was Orvis in the 90's.

Nowadays, if your rod section has a flared ferrule that fits over the section below it, that ferrule is formed by the taper of the mandrel and that blank section is produced from a single sheet of graphite material. A different mandrel is needed to make those sections for a 4 piece rod than the corresponding 2 piece. The transition of the taper near the ferrule is several inches. This can only be achieved by using separate mandrels for each model.

Spigot ferrules are still seen sometimes but are not all that common, and not on any current Redington's to my knowledge. Even with factory made spigot ferrules, the spigot is added to the internal part of the blank, and there is not necessarily an additional sleeve added. Also, that does not rule out different tapers for 4 piece and 2 piece models as the rod designers may tweak the taper to accommodate the ferrule for strength and action considerations.

if you really are strapped for cash, look at yard sales and Gilligan auctions. There are a lot people who fished in the centre/Blair co area looking to unload gear (or their families).

Spigot ferrules are still seen sometimes but are not all that common.
I would say they are more common than we think. All of the newer generation Hardy rods I had bought (4 rods) had them as well as my Douglas Upstream, which is weird because that rod is cheaper then the DXF and the DXF has the standard ferrules. My Winston LT also has spigot ferrules but it is an older rod that I think was made back in 2005 from what I gather on the serial number. I know Scott likes to use spigot ferrules. I prefer them as I think the fitment is better once the rod is assembled. I know that spigot ferrules are a more expensive feature to have so most companies shy away from them.

Scott still does spigots but I'm not so sure about Winston with the exception of the Tom Morgan Favorite.

Obviously a lot of boutique builders like Tom Morgan Rodsmiths, McFarland, Livingston, Chris Barclay, Larry Kenny, Mario Wojnicki, Kabuto, Mark Steffen (now Graywolf) among others favor them and all of them either roll their own blanks or are buying custom rolled blanks.

There must be a reason some of the revered rod designers & builders in the world still favor them...

The down side to sleeve over ferrules, (besides they are cheaper and they suck) is most likely you won't ever see a company offer the same rod in a different number of pieces (like Winston did) and if they do, there ain't no way they will have the same action no matter how much smoke they blow up your a$$...

As far as I'm concerned Winston no longer does this, but they used to I guess. On a side note I lawn casted my LT again last Thursday and wow, what a stunner! It's a very accurate rod and I don't mind the added heaviness of having a 5 pc. Feels like a competition pistol, heavy, but very accurate. A friend of mine casted it and agrees with my sentiments. There is something to be said about that Winston feel...

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned Winston no longer does this, but they used to I guess.

I own more Winston rods than I want to admit, more than any other brand and they all have spigot ferrules, however none are current model rods unless you include the still offered Tom Morgan Favorite.

However, it doesn't surprise me that they no longer make rods with spigots because that was the legacy of Tom Morgan. Tom sold the company to David Ondaatje in 1991.

About a decade later they started dumbing down the product line, eliminating all of the options they once offered; multiple reelseat options, multiple reelseat inserts, custom grips, inscriptions, you name it.

Later they became just another cookie cutter option rod company owned by bean counters pushing newer, greater, greatest BS that cost them less to produce while they constantly jacked up prices...

I'm so glad I bought the Winston rods I did when I could because there isn't a rod they offer today I'd want if you gave it to me...

• Love
Reactions: CRB
Big thanks to everyone that mentioned Sierra Trading Post. First time I've heard of them. I will keep them in mind as I look for eventual replacements down the line.
Is Sierra Trading Post the same store as Sierra.com? The highest price on a listed fly rod is $229.99?!

Yeah, the customization with that company was pretty radical. My rod features a scrimshaw reel seat insert done by a Canadian artist (Ginny Hall). I bought the rod because of that feature alone, it just so happens that it is a rod that is a joy to cast. Another forum member on here @Acristickid has the same model as me (4wt 8'3" 5 PC). My only other Winston is a BIIIX Jungle 9ft 9wt that I bought on the cheap because I just simply thought that it was awesome. I am taking it my salmon trip next week as a backup or if I need a higher line wt rod for some reason. That rod is probably the stoutest rod I am bringing on the trip. The 10wt I am bringing (should I even need it) is some off-brand rod that I don't necessarily trust. I bought it as a pairing for a reel I already had. Rod was a cheapy.

I just like to collect some of the oddball stuff (I'm sure you do too). I couldn't believe the price of the Jungle when I got it, a real steal for a rod that had an alleged 400 unit production run. The LT was just too cool to pass up too and I was quite surprised when no one else seemed to be bidding on it. I even tracked my exact rod on The North American FF forum but the post pertaining to it has since been deleted.

As for current Winston rods I would like to get an Air 2 in the 4wt 8'6" configuration as I lawn casted that at the shop and it felt pretty good. I currently don't have any 4wt 8'6" platforms in the quiver at the moment as I traded my H3F 4wt 8'6" during my H3 clear-out phase. That was a good rod too but no Asquith! I'd like the Air 2 to complete a "Holy trinity" of Winston rods. Just feels right.

Is Sierra Trading Post the same store as Sierra.com? The highest price on a listed fly rod is $229.99?!
Yes, it's the same. They recently had a bunch of. Redington at low prices. They are a close-out retailer. Sometimes they have lots of stuff and sometimes not. Inventory and prices change constantly and drastically. It requires buyers to keep their eyes open.

2 pages on pencil rods! Yikes summer version of cabin fever.....

Yes, it's the same. They recently had a bunch of. Redington at low prices. They are a close-out retailer. Sometimes they have lots of stuff and sometimes not. Inventory and prices change constantly and drastically. It requires buyers to keep their eyes open.
So, it's like an Aldi for outdoor stuff. Thanks.

Back