Consistency of tying flies

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Good video with tips on how to tie your flies with consistency.

It may not matter to you, but to tie flies like the ones you see in most fly shops, you must be consistent with your tying and tie them to be identical to one another.

I will say when tying flies, the first few are usually a little bit off (they go in my panfish box...sorry Baron :oops: ).

But after tying a few, I usually get things just right and crank out the flies that look the way I want them to look.

I recommend when tying you stick to one pattern to get the aforementioned repetitions before moving to the next pattern.

It's more efficient that way and usually makes for better ties.

But that's me.

Just about all flies you tie will catch fish.

Great advice. Thanks Afish

Problem is all my flies go into the panfish box as that's all I fish for, lol.
All of my flies are consistently individual and different pieces of art.

This video addresses my biggest issues with tying. Going forward it will be a big focus to get consistent looking results.

I once stopped in at Flyfishers Paradise and was asking questions about how to get the wings right on comparaduns.

They gave me some good tips on materials and techniques and also this:

"It gets easier after the first 1,000."

:)

Ha ha I bet it does. Bam had told me about 3 fly shops near me and dang-it-all I've only visited them once. They were so helpful and it would have saved me allot of mistakes if I'd have continued to visit them.
This is fun......

practice practice practice

I have found that much consistency can had by just being more prepared and organized as opposed to being better at tying. (Although that helps too) Picking and laying out equal materials before you tie will allow you to use more uniform ingredients in your flies. I have noticed much more uniform flies by doing just this.

Another thing that adds to consistency is minimal wraps. Secure your materials with 3 -4 wraps. Excess wraps add bulk or encroach proportionality of your next step.

It also speeds up your tying.

Back