COMING SOON..........STONES!!!

osprey

osprey

Yep!!! it's our first hatch of the spring in most places out here , way out west heh. The stones are so much fun to me because they don't require alot of fancy anything just fish 'em. They make a great commotion when they return to lay eggs and it's gets the trouts attention. Wild trout remember these flies and will take them eagerly and i've caught some of the nicest browns ever on the early stones. There was a recent post about spinnerfalls , the early stones pretty much do the same thing .....but on STEROIDS. Any of you folks fish this hatch? My imitations for these is any downwing pattern that floats as long as possible and will skate like Syd the kid , in the appropriate colors , which can change a little from stream to stream. Gonna say one more thing , i think many anglers mistake these early stones for grannoms.....look close.

The stones are out and about right now. Spring is almost here.

I have only really fished the early stones a few times. I have seen them a ton of times, but only have found fish feeding on them once in a great while.

But they do signal the imminent arrival of BWOs...

Attachments

• early_stones.jpg
    early_stones.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4
I'd swear I saw BWOs, wee little buggers, in the air today.

I could just be insanely hopefully, but if it looks like a mayfly and flies like a mayfly it may still be a midge coz I have no idea what they look like in the air.

I would not be shocked to see BWOs in the lehigh valley right now.

But I would expect to see some on the surface if that's what they were.

edit

Pete did you mean to say use a streamer to catch the fish that eats the fish that eats bugs?

yeah-hurry
lol-I spent ten minutes trying to refind this

The BWO's will be right behind them , but the stones will come first. When this happens it kicks everything up a notch and yes , if you wanna catch a big brown that has pretty much been in hibernation over the winter , a streamer would get it's attention cause the smaller fish will be more active chasing the stones , whatever floats yer boat ......... errr kayak , get your fish face on!!!!

to much ice here, maybe by april there will be some spots open..

I also would not be surprised to see BWO's down east , the upper YB or Mountain Creek. It's supposed to get up to almost 60 here today , there will be STONES on Laurel Hill Creek today i'll bet. I'm gonna go for a ride later and see if i can find the T.A.P. deal , i'll keep you posted. Tied two stonefly imitations this morning , dry flies , muskrat body , brown hackle , cream z-lon downwing. Named one Mick and the other one Keith.....STONES , STONES , STONES!!!

The River with Many Bends was hoppin' with BWOs today.

It was not hoppin' with fish eating said flies, however.

Tie the caddis pattern of your choice in all black. You can get away with natural deer hair for the wing.

Stoneman-

Not really easy, but easy enough for the nymph:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/90867-little-winter-black-stonefly-nymph.html

I'm sure you could drop the lead and fish under just under the surface too.

Heritage angler recommends CDC and Elk. I'd go armed with Usuals tied no tail and the wing backwards and feel confident.

Use a light color wing in your imitation so you can see it , the live ones are buzzing them anyhow so it looks real to the trout. Check this one out.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcaEdJb6M-A

Saw a few Little Black stoneflies today on a local creek. The little brookies had a hard time getting the #18 dry fly in their mouths. Missed a few and after landing one (4", maybe), called it a day. Sure felt great to get out though.

Pattern, if interested:
Body-grayish black superfine, tied slim
Wing- white CDC, tied back over body (white is easier to see on braided water)
Hackle-grizzly, 2-3 wraps

peace and stoneflies-tony c.

THAT'S what i'm talkin bout!!!! way to go Tony i can't wait till i get a chance at 'em. The white CDC wing should be easy enough to see and float them high and dry as a ducks arse.

Even the breeze was warm today. Saw some stones on the water producing a few random rises here or there -missed one; man am I rusty. Also fished over; to my surprise, an early black caddis event.

I tie the same pattern as tony for stones and caddis. Killer.

You can harden some turkey feathers and put tent wings over the cdc and call yourself a great fly tyer too. I do it whenever I need to pat myself on the back :)

Back