Color variations in brook and brown trout

BrooksAndHooks

BrooksAndHooks

I've noticed over the few years of fishing I've done that there are, at least in my area, two different "types" of wild brown trout, and brook trout that appear in much lighter and darker color variations. Now I understand some of these differences are from sex of the fish, spawning colors, water/stream conditions, etc, but some of these difference I have noticed even within the same streams. I was wondering if anyone had any educational information on this. I have read a few places that the trout will develop coloration over the lifespan based on the color of their lie/stream bed. I wasn't sure how much truth there was to this. I will attach some pictures to illustrate my point. There is a dark then light brookie, and a green ish upper body brown and an all yellowish brown. The brookies were out of the same stream, and the browns were out of the same stream. I figure there is some normal genetic differences, but I find that the vast majority of the brooks are lighter, and wild browns are more yellowish all over. It could be as simple as dominant and recessive type traits, or is there something else at play? I haven't found any good scientific information, and if anyone knows of any or just wants to share their experiences I'd be glad to hear. I've had more than one person ask me where I catch the brookies that are very dark.

Thanks for reading,

Ryan

Attachments

• darkbrookie.jpg
    darkbrookie.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 55
  • lightbrookie.jpg
    lightbrookie.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 21
  • greenbrown.jpg
    greenbrown.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 23
  • yellowbrown.jpg
    yellowbrown.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 22
I'm not a fisheries guy, but I understand there are different genetic strains of the fish.

With Brookies, there is a northern and southern strain and at least to me, there are noticable differences.
PA's natives are northern of course, but I think we get some hatchery fish of southern strain... that's a guess on my part.

I don't know as much about the Browns but they seem to differ based on Region of Europe from where they originated.

This has potential to be a good thread. I would be anxious to hear what some of the others have to say. Maybe we have some fisheries guys on here?

I was a biology/chemistry guy, but fish weren't a major part of that.

Lochs and germans use to be the two strains of browns mentioned but that was 40 plus years ago so suspect there would be many variants by now-

Your light brookie would qualify as a dark brookie on a few streams I've fished. I do think there's a lot of truth to the colors changing based on the habitat. The streams i know of that hold mostly pale brookies have a bottom of much lighter colored gravel than most of the central PA mountain streams I've fished. It is rare to find a fish with any orange on the belly in those creeks. I think really dark substrate tends to bring out the reds on the belly. The darkness of the back probably has more to do with overhead cover. Not scientific at all but just my thoughts

Food, geology, stream substrate, sex, age of fish, where the fish holds, time of year, can all influence color. I love the variety in fish from the same stream.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I agree too, just wondered if there was much of a genetic difference at play or what. I know there are a lot of different strains or subspecies(?) of browns, wasn't sure about brookies. I just read about a new "trout" in Turkey on the orvis site, might want to check that out. Looks like a brown to me... haha.

I just picked two fish that occured in the same streams, I have caught and photographed a wide variety of colors and mixtures of colors. I have caught many way paler and some dark with no belly. Mostly the belly color comes from spawning season and sex from what I understand. I'm more intrigued by the really dark fish that almost have none of the characteristic marbling on the back.

For the browns, my theory is that the top fish is of an older strain that has been in the stream longer, since it is rarer and I've only caught them in a small section of the stream, where as the second is a strain from more recent hold over browns since it seems to be more widespread. Merely speculation but it's all I've got.

salmonoid wrote:
Food, geology, stream substrate, sex, age of fish, where the fish holds, time of year, can all influence color. I love the variety in fish from the same stream.

This. ^

Even a single trout can change its colors and shade dramatically during the course of a single season (the spots shape and position don't change, but the colors do, especially the background).
In my opinion, there is little point in trying to understand genetic strains when looking at the colors and spot patterns of trout in PA.

Enjoy their beauty, but don't overthink it.

This kind of thing has always interested me. Because of the major differences in fish getting where they are, when it comes to genetics, you need to separate discussions on brookies and browns. For environmental issues, not so much.

Environmental: Age, sex, diet, time of year, physical surroundings all play a part. Red pigmentation is from keratin, which is found in heavy concentrations in crustaceans, especially crayfish and freshwater shrimp, but also scuds, and pretty low concentrations in "soft" bugs like caddis, mayflies, and the like. So this is largely from diet, though, even if they eat baitfish, it then depends on the baitfish diet. Basically it's stream specific that depends on the base of the food chain. You will see especially in bottom release tailwaters a lot of bright reds in all species of trout, due to an accumulation of freshwater shrimp in a large lake that gets concentrated when flushed out, and forms the base of the food chain.

Baitfish heavy diets tend to produce silvery fish, especially in lakes and large (non tailwater) rivers.

As for other colorations, yeah, I do think there's a bit of a chameleon effect, mostly due to sunlight. Fish in sun are brighter. Fish in dark forested streams are darker. Fish in deep water are paler.

Colors change with age too, but this is probably more a reflection of dietary changes as they age (other than losing the parr marks).

Heredity on browns:

Well, there are Loch Levin browns and German browns. German browns have lesser rounder black spots and also have the bright red spots. Loch Levin browns have more, and larger, more squarish black spots and a notable lack of red spots.

That's pretty well known, and reality is that PA browns are generally a combination of the two, with additional variations (both natural and manmade) which have occurred due to evolution and/or selective breeding. An important concept is WHEN a stream was "seeded". Back in the early 1900's, the logging boom knocked out a lot of trout streams, and they started stocking to replace them. Often fingerlings, and often browns. Generally these were German browns, and have formed the basis of your average PA wild brown trout. Both of your pics are decent examples. They don't appear to me to be that different genetically, but the differences here are more diet and sunlight based.

Over time, the PFBC has received fish from other states, mixed and matched them, and established it's own breed. They are more of the Loch Levin variety, but still a mix. At the same time, they were being bred to grow quickly, be less skittish, etc., and with these changes came some unintentional changes in appearance. When these fish were stocked, they too seeded some streams, though to a lesser degree because the German browns were already established in a lot of places, and because the PFBC hatchery strain was becoming less suited to the wild. Nonetheless, even if they did not "seed" new populations very often, they did in some cases interbreed with wild populations and formed various hybrids, and most PA browns carry some of their genetics, to varying degrees. What shows through in a mix is complicated in genetics, as it's possible for two German appearing browns to have a Loch Levin appearing offspring, just as two mutt dogs of the same litter can vary a lot. So there's some randomness to it even within a stream. Still, the degree of which way it's ancestry leans will determine the most common appearance in a given watershed.

Genetic brookies:

Brookies are native. They evolved here over thousands of years. Before the white man, it is likely that every individual stream held a unique genetic makeup. Streams close to one another were likely "seeded" by the same population. Hence, streams closer to one another had genetics closer to one another, while entirely different watersheds are more different. Even within a watershed, the degree of "mixing" due to fish movement probably varied wildly based on physical ease of movement, hence the uniqueness of each little stream depended on it's isolation over thousands of years. Whether you call each stream a separate "strain" depends merely on how narrowly you want to define the term "strain".

Anyway, during the logging boom, we lost a very high number of brook trout streams, and the ones that survived still took a hit. Once the forests re-grew, streams were re-seeded from nearby remaining populations, as well as from PFBC stockings. There may be "pure" heritage strains remaining, but they are rare. In most places, I suspect it's a mish mash of nearby heritage strains combined with some stockie DNA from various ages thrown in for good measure (see the brown discussion). A lot of genetic work needs to be done here, and some of it is happening.

That's not to say uniqueness is lost. I can't, for instance, tell the difference between brookies in the various tribs to Pine Creek. But I seem to be able to have some luck telling the difference between brookies in the Allegheny, Susquehanna, and Delaware drainages. Based on pics, generally to about a 70% accuracy (which means I'm not good at it, but better than a random guess). I attribute it to the fairly significant differences between the heritage strains of those completely different drainage paths. And even today's brookies have significant influence from those strains (even if they're not "pure").

Most of the differences I see aren't coloration based (darker or lighter, degree of red on belly, etc.). But rather spot pattern based. Size and distribution of the YELLOW spots as well as the red. Your two pics I'd guess to be from the Susquehanna drainage. I'm basing that on the largish yellow spots that are few in number but don't progress very low (high solid colored belly extending almost to the lateral line), and red spots generally found in nearly perfect horizontal lines, rather than randomized. Also, what appears to be no patterning on the tail. There are exceptions, but these are generally characteristics of Susquehanna based brookies.

Very interested information. I'm pretty up to date on the environmental influences and histories of the trout, but I didn't know quite that much specifically about the browns. I would definitely agree diet plays a big part in overall color or "tint" of the fish from blue to yellow to silver, in addition to everything else we have mentioned.

So you are saying that coloration does change as a result of sunlight exposure or stream substrate/vegetation color, or both?

Definitely interesting to consider the genetics, I have a bit of experience in the area but am no biologist, and it does make sense. I've definitely fished a few very isolated streams that have had unique brook trout populations. 2 of these are basically cut off from any other source of fish and I'm curious about their origins, but it's something you may never know. That's part of the fun for sure.

Thanks for all the information!

The brookies are actually from a stream in the ohio watershed. I have noticed the differences you speak of though because I spend time fishing in both.

I do understand trout change color throughout the year which I believe is common knowledge. What I was interested in is why some streams seem to have much better looking fish than others, and whether it is purely environmental, genetic, or a mix (which I believe it is a mix, of course) but it's still interesting to understand the factors at play. It doesn't necessarily matter or have a point, but it is interesting, at least to me.

Well, neither of us are biologists, but on occasion I do look up some biology studies to try to gain a better understanding of my own observations. But mostly, these are my own observations.

So you are saying that coloration does change as a result of sunlight exposure or stream substrate/vegetation color, or both?

Good question and I dunno. Based on my observations I'd lean towards saying sunlight means more than the others.

You're first brown pic. I've caught a few with that absolutely brilliant, fluorescent yellow with sharp red spots like that. Always freestoners, always in relatively sunny spots.

IMG_1574.jpg

Fwiw : check my post in videos. Transplanted browns vary from watershed to watershed. Add in the stockers that survive and breed and the combinations may be infinite? As Dave said " just enjoy the differences". Kinda like sight seeing at the beach. GG

Nice photos:
I also noticed his hand changed color as well.

I study some biology, but more human, not fish.

I think the sun/shade likely does play a difference, could be similar to the relationship of human skin and melatonin.

I have caught 2-3 trout within a very small area that look like the first pic. They were distinct in color and marking, which I thought was unique. It's a limestoner but has it's fair share of rock, more of a mixed stream. The thing is I only caught the browns with that colors/spotting etc in about a half mile or so stretch of about 12 miles of stream+ that I have fished thoroughly. It's definitely one of the prettiest browns I've caught and I have always wondered what factors led to that.

I'm not saying I don't enjoy the fishing any more or less based on this information. Obviously I enjoy the differences immensely which is why I am so curious about them. But we spend years chasing and catching these fish, and I don't think it hurts to better know or understand them.

Thanks, hand color changes with camera exposure and temperature (I can show you some red and frozen hands if you want!) but I tried to choose all unaltered photos taken with my Iphone 4 to keep things natural/normal. The second picture was taken with my GoPro which has an infinity focus so the coloration is more uniform and dull.

I definitely enjoy fishing different areas and stream types to catch slightly different looking fish. You never know what you're going to catch and thats what really makes me enjoy the wild/native fishing.

pcray 1231 wrote:
Red pigmentation is from keratin,..

Not sure this is true. Fingernails, Rhino horns etc then yes, keratin. Red coloration can come from eating certain shrimps, krill etc but that has more to do with changing the color of the flesh rather than skin.

BrooksAndHooks wrote:
I think the sun/shade likely does play a difference, could be similar to the relationship of human skin and melatonin.

Yea more like this ^.

Trout alter the level of melanin in cells call chromatophores and they do it to match background color. Fish over a dark background increase output of Melanin Concentrating Hormone to darken the skin by raising the melanin in the chromatophore. Light colored substrate they do the opposite. Starts to happen within hours of a change in background light levels with a full change in a day or so.

Individual trout vary in how they get through life and some specialize both to habitat (in the same stream ) and feeding behavior. Hence in the same stream (as long as it has variation in background color) they'll be some fish that spend most of their time over light backgrounds and some that spend most over dark and be light skinned or dark accordingly. I have pics somewhere of light and dark fish caught within a couple of casts on the Little J.

Patterns of color and skin lightening and darkening also vary with health and reproductive status and as far as I'm aware the same process is involved.

Eccles

There are more than 2 strains of brookies. Generalizing into northern and southern brookies is just silly. There are, or at least we're, hundreds and maybe thousands of strains of brook trout and, no doubt, there are still quite a few. The Adirondacks were at one time loaded with isolated brook trout in many lakes and streams and had hundreds of substrains alone. They estimate there are only about 40 of these "heritage" strains left. The number now in existence is no doubt much smaller from blending gene pools over the years and stocking. I bet we would be surprised by the number of unique strains that inhabit some of our PA wilderness waters that have never seen much activity from the state stocking or anglers.

First of, there are genetic differences in the trout in PA, which is not well understood. But these differences can be related to the color of fish. That is not what I'm getting from the 4 photos.
The top photo is a male brookie, the next photo is a female, you can tell by the shape of the jaws, the top fish being a more point jaw, and displays a slight kype. The second fish has a rounded jaw, indicating a female.
The 2 browns, top being a female the bottom being a male. I don't really see much difference in the color of the 2 browns, probably because the angle of the light hitting the fish is from a different angle. With all photography the angler of the light hitting the object does affect how it's rendered, especially in digital form.
As for how genetics affect the trout we catch and their colors, it's widely assumed that browns arrived in 2 forms and that never change, but that's not true at all. Trout arrived here originally from Germany but later, from all over Europe, but especially from Scotland England and Ireland.
Even within the populations of these fish, they probably came from different strains. Loch Leven is often cited as a typical strain of browns, but once the fish arrived here, they weren't kept separated by state fisheries managers, though some of the clubs that had fish shipped over may have.
All this makes a difference in how the fish evolved once they were placed in our streams.
As for brookies, headway is being made in identifying strains in Pa. Though the process of DNA investigation is exact, it costs money. The Commission isn't doing this work. But that doesn't matter. It is generally assumed that there are 7 major strains of brookies, and because we have so many sub-basins, there are hundreds of other strains inter-related.
Then ther are river fish, and lake fish, which seem to always be pale if they recently moved into smaller water.

Thanks for all the information guys, keep it coming.

Chaz I understand you may not be able to see the differences in pictures, but I could when I caught the fish. I agree on the gender differences and know that definitely plays a park. I have caught dark colored females as well though, but the sunlight/color thing answers that. As for the browns, can't say much else.

Eccles wrote:
pcray 1231 wrote:
Red pigmentation is from keratin,..

Not sure this is true. Fingernails, Rhino horns etc then yes, keratin. Red coloration can come from eating certain shrimps, krill etc but that has more to do with changing the color of the flesh rather than skin.

I think he meant carotenoid.

There are more than 2 strains of brookies. Generalizing into northern and southern brookies is just silly.

I both agree and disagree.

The reality is that ALL trout, and stream fish in general, there are probably as many "unique" strains as their are streams.

Back before white men, devastated streams which come back, stocking, moving fish around, etc. Well, I'd venture to say proper DNA testing could probably tell the difference between fish in one tiny tributary vs. in a different tributary mere miles away. This would lead to THOUSANDS of unique strains.

But those differences wouldn't be nearly as significant as the difference between fish from entirely different drainages.

Any time you have even partial isolation of a population for a reasonable length of time, that population WILL become genetically unique. It is true of every species on earth which sexually reproduces. The degree of the differences depend on the degree of isolation and # of generations for which that isolation holds.

The question is how narrowly do you want to define "strain"? Nomatter what you answer, you're still generalizing to some degree. I can't really fault someone who feels we should generalize quite a bit, as there's no advantage to be gained by recognizing 10,000 different strains.

There are only two types of strains that I am concerned with...They are the caught and the un-caught. More for the latter of course.

Back