Cold Run Schuylkill County Stocking Cancelled

That is what I thought. People just jumped to conclusions that the whole thing was now off limits. Like you said, that water was always private, just not posted or enforced.

At least it won't be stocked anymore and draw the early season crowd. Let's see how the wilds do now. They were doing great with the stocking. I don't think the one stocking harmed the wild population, but the crowd it drew did.

When more than 25% of a stocked trout section is posted, the section is removed from the ATW list. The section extended from the mouth to the confluence of Beaver and Cold Runs.

http://schuylkillcountytu.org/2015/06/01/section-of-cold-run-now-open-for-fishing/

Is that the section that was posted earlier this year? Or has a new section been opened?

New section opened. Section discussed earlier this year remains posted.

I appreciate the work Schuylkill County TU did to get another section opened, but I don't understand one thing. If TU is about protecting wild trout, why is Cold Run getting stocked by a TU organization?

Troy wrote:
I appreciate the work Schuylkill County TU did to get another section opened, but I don't understand one thing. If TU is about protecting wild trout, why is Cold Run getting stocked by a TU organization?

Where is there indication that it is getting stocked by a TU chapter?

I just fished it on Saturday and there are signs indicating TU is stocking it. They are the same signs that are along the Little Schuylkill DH. That stream does not need any stocking and it really surprises me a chapter of TU is doing it.

Troy wrote:
I just fished it on Saturday and there are signs indicating TU is stocking it. They are the same signs that are along the Little Schuylkill DH. That stream does not need any stocking and it really surprises me a chapter of TU is doing it.

Oh, I thought perhaps you were referring to something in the article that was linked. It's interesting. I can tell you that TU isn't entirely opposed to stocking. They are however opposed to stocking over sustainable wild trout populations, particularly over wild, native populations. In the case of the Little Schuylkill DH, I think that's an area that is well-suited to being sustained by stocking. As its water quality continues to improve it one day might not be necessary. It's been a couple years since I fished it by don't remember seeing signs saying the local TU chapter stocked it. I'll have to check it out again some time. I don't know anything about Cold Run and its trout population though.

There is no reason to stock Cold Run. There is a viable wild and native trout population in place. I agree that the Little Schuylkill should be stocked. The trout stocked into Cold Run would be of better use in the Little Schuylkill.

I hate to even broadcast this on the internet, but I have no idea what that TU chapter is doing. It is actually insulting coming from TU. If someone can tell me a legitimate reason for the stocking I will gladly eat crow. I was happy that the creek isn't stocked by the state anymore. That would decrease anglers and decrease harvest. I was looking forward to seeing the wild and native trout population thrive. Now, who knows what will happen.

Email them and ask 'em. Are you positive the signs said they were actually stocking it? According to the link posted earlier they helped secure public access, no mention of the chapter actually stocking it though. Just like in the LS DH area, why would they waste money stocking it if the PFBC was already stocking it?

Maybe stocking is part of the deal with the landowner in exchange for for public access?

salvelinus wrote:
Maybe stocking is part of the deal with the landowner in exchange for for public access?

The stretch opened is only 100 yards at the most. It is probably only an 1/8th of the public stretch.

The signs say something like "this water is stocked by SCTU" or something like that. I think the PFBC only stocks the Little Schuylkill in the spring now. They eliminated the fall stocking. I can see why they want to stock that. They also hold a "one fly" tournament on the stream so I am sure some of the stocking is for that.

There were definitely signs there last week saying Cold Run is stocked by SCTU. I've fished it a few times in the last few weeks. All I caught was smaller wild/native fish.

I met some guys from SCTU about 2 weeks ago and almost asked this exact question about stocking over wild fish but I decided it wasn't the best way to introduce myself. They are friendly and quick to reply to emails, if you really want to know I suggest asking them.

Back