Cold Feet

Does anyone own these????

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Heated-Rechargeable-Insoles/product/11100805013014/

My buddy seen them at the Hunt/Fish Expo this year and he told me there was a booth for these insoles where they had rubber boots sitting in ice and the air temp in the boots rose ridiculously fast to like 70 degrees. The guy said just insert them into the bottoms of your waders and the battery lasts all day on low. Seems like a likely Christmas present to myself....

skeeter wrote:
Does anyone own these????

http://www.basspro.com/ThermaCELL-Heated-Rechargeable-Insoles/product/11100805013014/

My buddy seen them at the Hunt/Fish Expo this year and he told me there was a booth for these insoles where they had rubber boots sitting in ice and the air temp in the boots rose ridiculously fast to like 70 degrees. The guy said just insert them into the bottoms of your waders and the battery lasts all day on low. Seems like a likely Christmas present to myself....

What could possibly go wrong? Water, leaking waders, batteries.. sign me up :)

In addition to all of the above, if you are still struggling...you may actually have a circulation issue that makes it tough to keep the old feet warm. If your feet are cold and blue...see a doctor ;-)

You can also consider a transdermal L-Arginase cream. Transdermal L-Arginase is a vasdilator to the blood vessels of the skin. This is particularly helpful in patients with condition's like Raynaud's disease. It's often an ingredient in the diabetic foot creams you see at the pharmacy or one I like in particular is called Healthy Foot Cream.

I Rx systemic drugs pretty often that aid in peripheral circulation in patients with vasospastic disorders. So the take home is, if your feet seem cold out of proportion to your fishing buddies...maybe there is more to it. Food for thought.

Excellent points Patrick. I have a slight case of circulation issues with my hands, I guess similar to Raynaud's, if not it. But, the fingers from the middle knuckle upward are simply "slow to respond." Usually, within 5 minutes the circulation improves to 100% and I can go without gloves in sub-freezing temps the rest of the day. It seems as if the transition from warm temps in a car or house to cold temperatures in the outdoors manifests the condition immediately.

I am not looking for a diagnosis, just suggesting that even someone with any such deficiency in circulation can dress appropriately to his/her condition. The cream you suggested sounds like an excellent idea. Since it is my hands that are of concern, do they make it scentless?

I have some at the office. I'll smell it next week when I return :) I've never considered that, but people use it on their hands all the time.

You guys are awesome. I think the answear to my problem was pretty simple. I switched waders this year from my old bootfoot to new 5mm stocking foot. I switched cause I eanted a better fit in the through the entire wader) looks like I'll be switching back to the boot foot and I'll save the stocking foot for when its jjust a lil too cold for the neoprenes. Imight try those alpaca socks. Thanks Again

PatrickC wrote:
You can also consider a transdermal L-Arginase cream. Transdermal L-Arginase is a vasdilator to the blood vessels of the skin. This is particularly helpful in patients with condition's like Raynaud's disease. It's often an ingredient in the diabetic foot creams you see at the pharmacy or one I like in particular is called Healthy Foot Cream.

I Rx systemic drugs pretty often that aid in peripheral circulation in patients with vasospastic disorders. So the take home is, if your feet seem cold out of proportion to your fishing buddies...maybe there is more to it. Food for thought.

Hey doc.... Do you think I could just rub some BenGay or Icy Hot on the bottom of my feet??? :-D

Neither are vasodilators, so they really don't increase circulation to the skin. In your case Geo...BenGay would be most appropriate :-o Snagger

BTW, I am currently working with a compounding pharmacy to develop a cream that has both L-arginase and a calcium channel blocker, nifedipine. This would be a transdermal cream with 2 different vasodilators (that work by 2 different mechanisms of action). This should be of great benefit to those with significant vasospastic disorders. If this is an issue for you, let me know and I can get the info to a foot doc in your area. It should be covered by insurance as well. I have absolutely no financial interest in this. I'm just assisting in the development to help my patients. Trust me...I'm too stupid to make money. My wife will tell you I am very bad about giving everything away. That's why I sold my practice and took a job. I'm too soft.

Okay. I'll just pop a nitro before I fish then. :lol:

I don't recommend it, but that will open you up. Your blood pressure might crash to nothing, but hey...your feet should be warm ;-)

In the Marine Corps we called it "staying comfortably cool".. to heavy a socks creates foot sweat - And not enough or the wrong type of socks make cold feet. Cold feet is justs God's way of telling you to take a break anyways. Just like having a full bladder on a long drive.

I've tried almost everything to avoid the cold numb feet, wicking layer, polar fleece, wool, etc...no success. I'm thinking of buying these: http://www.backcountry.com/lorpen-trekking-expedition-sock

But before I spend all that $, I'd like to know if anyone on here has tried them? They look promising....rather expensive, but if they work, I wouldn't mind...

PatrickC,

I'm pretty sure it was you who advised me on insoles a long time back. Undiagnosed but suspected to be peroneal tendonitis, pain is higher than most (outside of ankles/even calfs). I have very high arches. Initial doctor gave me arch support, which worsened the problem, and I never went back. After some discussion on foot mechanics here on the board you recommended trying lateral heel wedges. Just thought you might like an update.

I waited way too long to take your recommendation and get em. In early fall, my condition acted up severely on a fishing outing, and again a few days later just on a minor hike. In preparation (and dread) of deer season I went ahead and ordered a bunch and put them in all my footwear.

It didn't go away immediately, but I could tell it helped. It only acted up minorly in deer season, on walks where it would have been real bad before. More of an annoyance than feeling like an all out disability. At any time I could still "make" it hurt by stretching my foot in a given direction. But I didn't seem to be using that movement when walking as much.

Now, about 3 months into wearing them, the pain is totally gone. I can't even make it hurt with the foot stretch thing anymore. I can't say it won't come back. Aside from deer season, my daily walks are now much shorter and slower because the baby comes with, so it could be I'm just aggravating it less. But it's the first time in over 10 years that I can't even make it hurt if I try to with the stretch thing.

Also noticed, when I do walk, the muscles in the BACK of my leg get a little sore. Just normal muscle soreness, not the same kind of pain as before, and it passes in a day or two like sore muscles do. I assume it means I'm using muscles I never used to, and they'll strengthen with time.

So, anyway, I think the jury is still out but I'm confident there's a significant improvement, if not all out cure. Thank you. And I'd be happy to repay you in some way.

ponner1us wrote:
I've tried almost everything to avoid the cold numb feet, wicking layer, polar fleece, wool, etc...no success. I'm thinking of buying these: http://www.backcountry.com/lorpen-trekking-expedition-sock

But before I spend all that $, I'd like to know if anyone on here has tried them? They look promising....rather expensive, but if they work, I wouldn't mind...

As you know in flyfishing there is a lot of standing around. That's where the difficulty in deciding comes in because the sock are for hiking. I have not tried those type of socks...$70.00 seams a bit expensive. I was just online with Cabalas regarding this area.
Anyone try the Cabalas wader knee to toe socks? It looks like they have great reveiws.

Again and again-- $5 for polyester thin (black) socks and another 5-10 for a 100% wool sock over top. Poly does not absorb water, so sweat will move toward cooler air (wicking) and the wool will absorb the water without losing its insulation capacity. It will also wick somewhat because of the air space in the weave. Done and done, do not fasten your boots too tightly.

JackM wrote:
Again and again-- $5 for polyester thin (black) socks and another 5-10 for a 100% wool sock over top. Poly does not absorb water, so sweat will move toward cooler air (wicking) and the wool will absorb the water without losing its insulation capacity. It will also wick somewhat because of the air space in the weave. Done and done, do not fasten your boots too tightly.

I can only stay in the cold water for about 4 hours at most with that sock set up.

Alot of the guys have it correct.
For Winter thru early Spring..Neoprene bootfoot waders in 5MM with thinsulate insulation and wool felt insoles a pair of polypropylene ,silk sock liners,and a pair of polypropylene/wool especially Merino wool socks that fit but are not tight are a great way to start as well as you can use them toe warmer pads that are disposable. For under layers polypropylene long johns or silk if you prefer are really hard to beat., Remeber to dress in layers make sure you have movement, if you don't you will get cold from circulation trouble.Also Chaz is correct there are Polar Fleece socks that are really warm as well.
For other layers get micro polar fleece followed by some more polar fleece...remeber that there are several weights of polar fleece to be had, Pick the right weight for the conditions you will fish or hunt in.Always wear jacket that covers below your belt line it will alllow your internal organs to stay warm.
If you get cold easily alot of times its because your core has cooled down and your body is trying to salvage heat from your extremities to keep your vital organs safe at the sacrifice of your fingers toes hands and feet.
try using a neck gaitor or Balaclava made from polar fleece too.
Breathable rain jackets over your waders also help.
also get some disposable hand warmers for your pockets to keep warm. I know that the thermacare back heat pads are great for some who get cold,have a person i hunt with that uses them.

You have heard a lot of great suggestions in previous post. I'm gonna give ya one that sounds kind of odd. Along with a good wicking sock under a wool sock an old timer told me he sprays his feet with aerosol antiperspirant. Never tried it but it does seem logical.

fishing in the winter time is not for wimps! your feet will warm up on the ride home, they might sting and tingle a bit but the next day at work you will wish you were back on the water.

Back