Codorus hatches? (Porter Sideling)

sipe

sipe

I fish this stream a few times each year but always with nymphs/worms. Does anyone ever encounter significant hatches or spinner falls on the codorus?

Sulphurs and caddis. That's about all I've seen. That stream only fishes well for me with nymphs, or under the right conditions a topwater dry.

Caddis, sulphurs and midges are about all I've seen. Occasionally I would catch them with BWO's.

I am pretty sure I fished a BWO spinnerfall with Maurice many years ago. He stood on the bank and told me when they struck. It was too dark for me to see.

Scud immitations and sculpin immitations should work as we have introduced both in various portions of the special reg area and stretches that were formerly under special regs.

Mike wrote:
Scud immitations and sculpin immitations should work as we have introduced both in various portions of the special reg area and stretches that were formerly under special regs.

Stocking scuds and sculpins?! Interesting.

PA Trout a while back said Codorus TU was going to ask for more given previous success and with hope of expanding range in creek. I think that was just sculpins, however.

Mike's decision to introduce scuds and sculpins many years ago turned out to be a great one. The scuds just exploded and are still very plentiful - many people agree that adding them was a game changer for that stream. We did talk to Mike about more sculpins too, but that hasn't happened yet. If he ever wants to send 'em, we'll take 'em!

As far as hatches, I agree that its caddis, sulphurs, midges and some tiny BWOs. If you're there on just the right day in the early spring, we do still hear reports of fishable Hendrickson hatches.

On a cool related note...I fished the sawmill section today and saw a 30" musky. Trout cooperated too!

sipe wrote:
On a cool related note...I fished the sawmill section today and saw a 30" musky.

Maybe it was just a big chain pick? :-D

That's interesting about stocking scuds and sculpins. I always wondered where the scud population came from given that it's not really a true "limestoner" with lots of aquatic vegetation.

wgmiller wrote:
sipe wrote:
On a cool related note...I fished the sawmill section today and saw a 30" musky.

Maybe it was just a big chain pick? :-D

That's interesting about stocking scuds and sculpins. I always wondered where the scud population came from given that it's not really a true "limestoner" with lots of aquatic vegetation.

The aquatic vegetation attributed to limestone streams is more a function of water temperature, gradient and substrate than it is chemistry. On the Codorus you will find it heavily populating the two "tanks" Upstream of Sawmill and upstream of Brown Road. Its the slow to no current in silty margins of these freestone tailwaters that allow these plants to flourish.

If more streams were ice cold like Limestoners and tailwaters you would see more of this around.

Lots of headwater freestoners in York have Watercress and other aquatic vegetation near springs.

I teach aquatic ecology on a small stream in Manchester. It has a flourishing scud population and very little aquatic vegetation. It has no limestone influence as far as I know.

Probably the best hatch are Sulphurs and caddis.

It does feel like, at least to me, that the sulphur hatch is less and less each year. 10-15 years ago the hatch seemed better.

sipe wrote:
On a cool related note...I fished the sawmill section today and saw a 30" musky. Trout cooperated too!

Would you wanna give me a hint on where this fish was holding so I could transport him back to the lake?

I guess technically it would be illegal to transport this guy back to the lake since he is undersized though? The temp change would be a concern too.

sipe wrote:
I teach aquatic ecology on a small stream in Manchester. It has a flourishing scud population and very little aquatic vegetation. It has no limestone influence as far as I know.

from what i know of it, aquatic vegetation is not determined by water temperature or chemical make up.

what determines it are stable or not water flows. in true 'spate' highland streams you cannot find weed because the roots are washed away each spring and fall.

Back