Closing ?

I expect the number of independent fly shops to drop sharply in the next few years. They are generally doing quite poor overall.

They are being hit by Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain etc. And they are being hit by Internet sales. And they are getting hit by a decline in the number of people fishing. And they are getting hit by the influx of inexpensive, imported fly rods. You just don't make as much money on a $200 fly rod as a $500 fly rod.

But here's another possible reason for Cold Spring Angler's closing that hasn't been mentioned. Herb and Cathy are just getting up and years. They both had previous careers before getting into the flyfishing business, and they've now done this for a couple decades. Maybe they're just ready to retire.

Best of luck to them and I hope they catch some big trout.

troutbert wrote:

But here's another possible reason for Cold Spring Angler's closing that hasn't been mentioned. Herb and Cathy are just getting up and years. They both had previous careers before getting into the flyfishing business, and they've now done this for a couple decades. Maybe they're just ready to retire.

Actually...."It was that way when my local fly shop shut down. Because the guy who ran it (already retired) and the owner retired. Like I said there could be other reasons they are closing..."

Anyone know if it is for sale or just closing...?

I was there a couple years ago! Such a shame it's closing, but....... things have changed.

Now I purchase all my fishing stuff online. Usually Cabelas, they have the best selection and the freshest stuff at the lowest prices.

Like someone just mentioned, if you want a certain flyrod, most flyshops won't have it in stock! It takes a huge retailer, like Cabelas, to ship you a new outfit that you want.

Also, tying flies is a wonderful thing to do. Most flyshops have crappy flies imported from China at a high price! LOL The salesman at this fly shop in Carlisle told me that all the tied flies in their shore are imported from China! And a crappy fly tie at that!! I purchased some marabou streamers at two bucks each from this fly shop!! I can tie a much better one for a quarter!

Times have changed! I am tying some flies tonight as I read this on the internet. A click of my mouse sends me all the materials I need to tie the flies I use.

Even though I liked the wonderful fly shop, I knew it would close soon. What could the sales guys say except " In the Breeches, the trout are only hitting these flies that we sell here in this shop" and "in Letort, the trout can only be caught on these flies that we sell"

Years ago, the tackle shops would talk about the fishing......... and they would basically say "if you want to catch fish, you have to buy the lures / bait we sell in this store" I know they have to make a living, but most can see that it's all spin.

My advise to the fly shop guys, go to college. The world is so overpopulated and polluted, we need some sharp engineers to design a better car system........ and a virus that will take out six billion people without starting world war 3!

Let's get busy, just leave the fly fishing to me. What in the world ever happened to the "Obedience Gene"?

"People are crazy, times have changed.....I'm locked in tight, I'm out or range.......... I used to care, but things have changed"- Bob Dylan

As an engineering student in college now, I must refuse to make your doomday virus. Still not sure what you were getting at there...

:-?

I recived a postcard from them yesterday, says they are both retiring, that is the reason for the closing... big sale!

PaulG

Thanks PaulG, for the straight answer about the shop. Appreciate it. Glad to here there retiring, they deserve it. I don't live in Pennsylvania but have visited there shop and have ordered and recieved alot of merchandise over the years through the mail and all I can say is they always treated me with respect. Wish them good luck and alot of great days on the water.

If you are turning any kind of reasonable profit you sell out.Walk away with a quarter million or so.

simfective wrote:
Thanks PaulG, for the straight answer about the shop. Appreciate it. Glad to here there retiring, they deserve it. I don't live in Pennsylvania but have visited there shop and have ordered and recieved alot of merchandise over the years through the mail and all I can say is they always treated me with respect. Wish them good luck and alot of great days on the water.

Herb and Cathy were good to me also. I hope they enjoy their second retirement and find some great fishing now that they'll have more time to do it.

Back