Click and Pawl

Baron

Baron

Who prefers C&P reals to disc reels? In general which reel do you love? Are you limited to certain size fish because of your choices?

I do. Most of the reels I fish are Hardy's, and all click and prawl, There's no drag to wear out or cease functioning once it gets wet. Plus, I enjoy the sound.

Since I've fished with a fly rod for anything bigger than steelhead, I can't really say if there's limit is or where it is, but I know for sure it's larger than 10 pounds.

I like the sound and feel of C&P reels but there are some nice drag reels out there too. I've botched coming tight to a steelhead a couple times with a clicker and they've got off.

Attachments

• Clickers Resized 2.jpg
    Clickers Resized 2.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 4
When I started FF a year ago I got an old Wye C&P and it was a nice old reel but then it broke. So I picked up at random three of the simplest little things I could ever imagine and they work like little tops. Ready for this: Martin Caddis Creek 13-20 dollars. its all I have and the largest fish I've caught is still less than a pound.
I've been holding off to see how I like FF before I start pouring money into gear. I'm thinking I'd like to have the old Wye fixed or buy another C&P. Always liked Battenkills at least for looks and that is where my wife and I Honemooned (Manchester Center,VT).

What are your favorites.
In a C&P is it really Possible to get much more by spending more. I see some simple C&P that I'm sure are gorgeous but how much better and one re-invent the wheel.

I love the Orvis BBS reels. My first clicker was a Martin. Still have it. I love Hardy but I think that's more of an homage to machined, bespoke things. My personal opinion is that lower priced clickers work just as well as collectibles. I think they're all great. The worst thing about reels is that you can only use one at a time.

" The worst thing about reels is that you can only use one at a time."
I think highly of that statement. I love history and classic hunting and fishing tools. But I was wondering if a modern drag would be necessary for bass under 6bls and Pickerel under 5lbs. I may accidentally hut an open water walleye of muskie over that but the weakness is my tippet and not the reel.
so far all the fish I've caught have boarded the boat long and I had never even gotten them onto the reel. I just stripped them in and boarded them.

My Fly rods are both 6wt. Will 4/5wt reels perform favorably on these rods. If so how would you set it up?

On a Click and Pawl reel what determines wether it is for fresh or salt-water use?

Baron wrote:
I was wondering if a modern drag would be necessary for bass under 6bls and Pickerel under 5lbs.

No. Your older click and pawl reels will work just fine.

Got lucky. after traveling the net and looking at articles on cleaning I was able to get the old Orvis Wye working again. Yay. the Wye was built for Orvis by, I believe, Hardy and is similar to, but pre-dates the battenkill.

Wye.

Attachments

• IMG_6040.jpg
    IMG_6040.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6039.jpg
    IMG_6039.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6038.jpg
    IMG_6038.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 3
Earlier: "On a Click and Pawl reel what determines wether it is for fresh or salt-water use?"

I was on the phone with Orvis's repair shop today. I asked about the potential of using the Battenkill I, II, III in salt water and he said that was fine so long as I cleaned it very well.
Anyone with experience with Battenkills in Salt?

Got lucky. after traveling the net and looking at articles on cleaning I was able to get the old Orvis Wye working again. Yay. the Wye was built for Orvis by, I believe, Hardy and is similar to, but pre-dates the battenkill.

The second picture showing the handle looks just like my Scientific Anglers System 6 from the early 1970s which was made by Hardy. I was lucky enough to find an extra spool for it back about a month ago. It is my go-to reel (my very first fly fishing reel and I still have the rod that I bought at the same time) for my 3 6wt fly rods.

Well I hope to use The Wye again soon.
Caught a Med Bass today in high winds with my old Martin Rod and Martin Reel. Technique usually wins the day. Technology sometimes makes it more enjoyable.

The "Wye" was made by BFR (British Fly Reels) for Orvis, not Hardy. It is essentially the same reel as a Cortland Crown, also made by BFR for Cortland if you need parts.

As far as salt water use with any clicker or to be honest, any reel; you better be a person who takes care of your tackle.

Prompt cleaning/flushing with clean fresh water after use, regular lubrication and a wipe down with a good water displacement product is necessary for long life and corrosion resistance.

If you are they type that puts off tackle maintenance to the off season of when you have time...

...you'll be sorry.

As for me, I do own some modern drag reels but prefer clickers because they most often have the "look" I like and I have never NOT been able to manage ANY fish on one, it's just trickier at times.

What are some specific models that would be good choices for a new click and pawl reel?

I have my eyes on the Orvis Battenkill as that is my $$$ level. But a quick search showed me everything from a 12.95 Martin to a 400 dollar Sage.

Troutbert wrote:
What are some specific models that would be good choices for a new click and pawl reel?

The Orvis Battenkill Click and Pawl reel is a decent reel for trout fishing or panfish and has a classic look that many FFers like. It's relatively light in weight and will usually balance nicely on most modern trout weight rods and it's resonantly priced at $100 +/-.

https://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-fly-reels/7h9p

Attachments

• B-Kill C&P.jpg
    B-Kill C&P.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 3
troutbert wrote:

Dwight, in addition to the Orvis clickers, Pflueger is still making a couple click models at good prices, including the Medalist, which I don't think is exactly a true click/pawl design, but really cool IMHO. LL Bean made a nice clicker too, not sure if they still make it.

I had a small budget a year ago when I got started. Plus, realizing that I hadn't any instincts as to what I liked, I went cheap and careful. I found three Martins and bought them all. paid 12.95 - 19 for each and they are my main choices as well as a Wye similar to Battenkill I. They work fine but they aren't much to look at. I actually like them. 5/6 is my preference for all purpose use.

Back