Click and Pawl

afishinado wrote:
Troutbert wrote:
What are some specific models that would be good choices for a new click and pawl reel?

The Orvis Battenkill Click and Pawl reel is a decent reel for trout fishing or panfish and has a classic look that many FFers like. It's relatively light in weight and will usually balance nicely on most modern trout weight rods and it's resonantly priced at $100 +/-.

https://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-fly-reels/7h9p

That's a nice looking reel.

Bamboozle....I just noticed your post about being sure to clean immediately rather than putting it off. Well Well, seems that you know me. I tend to put things off. Thanks for mentioning it and perhaps saving me from myself. The salt water specs and so forth must be well thought out. A quick study in metals nobility would reveal how careful a designer would have to be in choosing their construction materials.
Baron

troutbert wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Troutbert wrote:
What are some specific models that would be good choices for a new click and pawl reel?

The Orvis Battenkill Click and Pawl reel is a decent reel for trout fishing or panfish and has a classic look that many FFers like. It's relatively light in weight and will usually balance nicely on most modern trout weight rods and it's resonantly priced at $100 +/-.

https://www.orvis.com/p/battenkill-fly-reels/7h9p

That's a nice looking reel.

Other "Classic" fly reels :-o

Attachments

• Other Classic Reels.jpg
    Other Classic Reels.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 3
AFish what do you use in salt

Baron wrote:
Bamboozle....I just noticed your post about being sure to clean immediately rather than putting it off. Well Well, seems that you know me. I tend to put things off. Thanks for mentioning it and perhaps saving me from myself. The salt water specs and so forth must be well thought out. A quick study in metals nobility would reveal how careful a designer would have to be in choosing their construction materials.
Baron
Hard anodization on aluminum as offered by many reel companies as salt water safe are really made for less diligent anglers, meaning those that may wait a day or two to clean their reels.

But any scratch or nick in the anodizing invites corrosion, not to mention any part not stainless or plastic and even stainless will corrode in salt water.

The only really saltwater proof reel or fishing gadget would be made of titanium and cost a small fortune, so the bottom line is you HAVE to take care of any of them if you use them in salt and want them to last.

If you are lazy, buy cheap stuff...

Baron wrote:

I use a large arbor reel with a sealed disc drag system for saltwater fishing.

The advice to clean your reel (at least flush it with fresh water) at the end of the day is a good one.

No need to really spend a lot on trout or panfish reels. Using a click and pawl type is fine. In fact you can even get away with an inexpensive reel for most freshwater fishing.

But saltwater is another story all together. A high quality reel with a sealed drag is mandatory. The ocean and the fish will chew up and spit out your reels in short order. And even quality reels suited for saltwater use will fail if you don't clean and maintain them properly. It's really the same for all your tackle, gear, tools and wading equipment. Good luck.

afishinado wrote:
Baron wrote:

I use a large arbor reel with a sealed disc drag system for saltwater fishing.

The advice to clean your reel (at least flush it with fresh water) at the end of the day is a good one.

When I fish in the salt, whether with fly or conventional gear, I carry one of those insulated water jugs with me with a carrying handle and a WIDE mouth, filled with fresh clean water.

When the gear gets packed up, the reel goes in the jug of fresh water until I get home and can properly flush it.

Brilliant. We always have fresh water when around the saltwater. I will rarely fish salt and will likely be after Bluefish in surf or flounder in back channels. I think I'll pick up a used Cortland 7/8 and clean it well. I'm not after big fish and the average and occasional striper or sea trout won't be too much for that.

I only use click and pawl reels for trout. I love the sound and the feel of the clicker. I have had mixed results with durability. My hands-down favorite reel is my Hardy flyweight. I pair that with a 7’ 4wt for small streams or bank fishing spring creeks like the Letort. I have an orvis BBS paired with a 9 or 10 ft rod for nymphing, larger water, or when I need a reach.

I’ve tried some click-reels with plastic clickers and haven’t had as good of luck with them. I had one that I replaced the click pin probably 5 times. The 5th time it snapped on a decent brown and I free-spooled most of the line out before I realized what happened. That reel is in a drawer.

i like the old pflueger medalists.

Attachments

• fenwick2019M.jpg
    fenwick2019M.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 4
  • fenwick 2020M.jpg
    fenwick 2020M.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 5
Nice, Brain, that is my #2 but we all have our list.

Side Note: My sales territory includes CA and there are allot of Land Cruisers out there in new condition.

Back