Classic Flys

Baron

Baron

I know I beat this drum allot but as I've said before: I'm new at this and haven't any instincts on what to call some things or how to describe things properly. On the other hand I've been learning boatloads since joining this site. Thanks for the encouragement and patience.
For years there were Flies that I would see in magazines and in stores that impressed me simply because they are beautiful in their own right. I had no idea what they were for, how they worked or for which fish to use them on. Since becoming a FlyFisher I have identified them a Royal Wulff and Royal Coachman.
I've noticed that there is a plethora of classic looking styled flies, streamers they're called, and I'd like to know more about them. They seem to be largely associated with salmon but many look like naturals for just about any species. It would be easy to only ever fish buggers and Adams variants but then there are these really cool old flies begging.
Below are some examples from Don Bastion and others. These folks are new to me but they didn't learn to tie these overbite. I'd like to here your take on wether or not these decorative old styles are worth tying and anything else you might think of. I was thinking of buying Don's book but heck there are free tutorials on the net.

Attachments

• IMGP4801.JPG
    IMGP4801.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMGP4788.JPG
    IMGP4788.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 4
  • gray-ghost.jpg
    gray-ghost.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 162_barnes_special_db-1024x768.jpg
    162_barnes_special_db-1024x768.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
  • eighteen.jpg
    eighteen.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 3
Old classic flies are like the classic cars. Still work and will always be in style.

The classic flies tend to use more natural material ie furs feathers and hairs. Though not overtly so, the flies were more " complex " but not difficult to tie generally speaking. Many wet flies were designed with movement foremost see Leisenring/Hidy and the feather wing streamers by Carrie Stevens.

Alot of the early "American" flies were attractor type because of the abundance of Brook trout which were the target of anglers here.

Flies from across the pond leaned toward the impressionistic philosophy ie PT and the primary foe there being brown trout.

Today, I feel the trend is toward more synthetics, simplicity and flash. The popularity of the bead head Euro nymphs are a prime example. There is a European competition angler whose name is Vlad something who ties worm and caddis patterns by wrapping strips of condom on a hook.

These are my observations and I am speaking in wide generality here,, with exceptions widespread. Now this is a long way of stating that the world of fly tying is as diverse and inclusive as an ivy league safe space.

You can catch trout on all of them. Look at any list of top 10 flies and I think most will include classics such as catskill style adams and Cahill, a pheasant tail nymph, a feather wing streamer, and a bead head of some type.

Tigereye hit it pretty much on the head. Most of those streamers came out of New England where the target was brook trout. They were more often than not trolled.
He also mentioned Leisenring/Hidy. I'm not sure which one came up with the pattern but Hidy coined the name "Flymph" Which is another fly you should check. One the flies I learned in my first fly class was a pattern called the "Delaware Flymph" It was created by a member of a fly fishing club I belong to, Dave Baker. Here's a picture of one I tied 20 years ago. I really should add it back to my fly box.

Attachments

• FFF Delaware Flymph.jpg
    FFF Delaware Flymph.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
classic flies still catch fish but but they dont seem to be as popular compared to the newer styles of flies with all the weird names out today

i tie a lot of the classic flies

i do not believe don bastian ever produced a book but he did put out a few videos which are very hard to find

he also recently passed away so you can no longer contact him unless you're clairvoyant :)

there are a lot of you tube videos on tying classic fly patterns

they are worth tying if you're going to fish them. some will be difficult for newbie tyers and even experienced tyers. otherwise...

there are lots of books and websites regarding classic streamers and wet flies

Baron wrote:

For years there were Flies that I would see in magazines and in stores that impressed me simply because they are beautiful in their own right.

I'd like to here your take on wether or not these decorative old styles are worth tying...

I think you answered your own question.

They are worth tying, because they are beautiful.

And will they catch fish? Yes.

Delaware Flymph. I wrote that down.

Who is Don Bastion? I've seen his name and videos. His site is still up and he mentions a link to, among others, STREAMERS365.
Do I need books or are online tutorial enough to guide me along?
I thought I would start with the Barnes Special as I have most of the supplies for that.

Guess I did answer my own question to some degree but I have high regard for all the tiers on this forum and just wanted to hear your opinions.

There are a couple of books by Mike Valla about classic catskill flies that are well worth a look.

I assume you all know these things like the back of your hands but I was not in the loop. Flying blind, I was thrilled to find this and pilfer it from a site:

Attachments

• 11428010_862271243859421_2654356839572699789_n.jpg
    11428010_862271243859421_2654356839572699789_n.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3
Prolific writer and affordable.
bugs4 wrote:
There are a couple of books by Mike Valla about classic catskill flies that are well worth a look.

2 of Don's videos here..

https://www.amazon.com/Traditional-Streamers-Bucktails-Don-Bastian/dp/B000V81EL0/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=don+bastian&qid=1617196707&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Classic-Wet-Flies-Bastian/dp/B000V81CNU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=don+bastian&qid=1617196818&sr=8-1

Thanks Brad. I may pull the trigger soon.

Streamers365 was a great site that shut down. However, the content was acquired by GlobalFlyFisher.

Here's a link: Streamers365

'The streamer aficionado site that was Streamers365.com
Latest articles from this section'

An index to the site is at the bottom of the first page.

Thanks for that. I saw the add on Global FF. Some of those flies are so decorative that if done cleanly they would make great keepsakes and gifts for the holiday season.

Thanks for that. I saw the add on Global FF. Some of those flies are so decorative that if done cleanly they would make great keepsakes and gifts for the holiday season.

Congratulations for moving in this direction!

I love classic flies, and very rarely use modern flies, with the exception of foam flies for bass/panfish.

Some great classic streamers and buck tails are
Black ghost
Gray ghost
Mickey Finn
Hornberg

You can tye a fun bass streamer with a long red body,silver tinsel rib , white hackle wing and white hackle.

Mike Valla is a great guy,and his books are fantastic.

And, a pass lake can be a wet, or a streamer too

Baron:

Sometimes you have choose flies with your heart, not your head. In other words, if you think they will work, try them.

When I first started fly-fishing, didn't tie or know squat about flies or forage, I bought stuff that looked good to me and a Grey Ghost streamer was one of those flies.

I’ll never forget an Opening Day a LONG time ago when I took a buddy out for his first time fly fishing to Resica Falls. The water was high & fast so at the 8:00 bell, we found a spot downstream a ways from the falls where the fast water slowed down a bit and we could have a bit of the creek to ourselves.

He asked me what to use so I handed him a Grey Ghost thinking it looked as good as anything did and I tied one on myself. Between the two of us it was non-stop fish until our arms were tired which was after catching about 75 trout between the two of us WITHOUT moving more than a few feet up and downstream and only having to threaten one jerk who crowded us!!

Good thing those stockers and me didn’t know a Grey Ghost was supposed to imitate a smelt, something that sure as heck wasn’t swimming around in the Bushkill that April morning many moons ago!!

Baron, I think you would really enjoy the book "Trout" by Ray Bergman.

It has color plates of a large number of the old classic flies.

"Trout" was in print for many years, in several editions, so copies can be found at a reasonable price, even for the hardcovers.

Donny Bastian tied all the flies illustrated in "Trout." A bunch of us flyfishers went to see these flies. They were shadow boxed and framed. They looked amazing. The craftsmanship was stunning.

He sold them to a restaurant called Tower Oaks Lodge in Rockville, Maryland.

As someone said, Donny Bastian passed away recently.

His website is still up, and has photos of many of his flies, and other info.

https://donbastianwetflies.com/

Hey thanks, just bought a used copy for $9 including freight. Not a book guy, I make an exception for things I'm trying to memorize and practice.
I travel into Rockville on business and may just have to look and see if that restaurant is still cook'n.
I had heard of Bastion and didn't realize he had passed.
The real trick will be to figure out which of these will still catch fish... most especially panfish and warm water species.

Back