Class A Streams around Lock Haven

2023 was the last year of it being stocked. I'm happy to see it finally taken off the list!
Great news! Last time I was there about 10 years ago we almost died driving back the road next to the stream. It was no joke. I remember wondering how the hell they get the stocking truck back there. Also caught a stocker brookie with gill lice. Called the PFBC about it and reported it, but never heard anything back.

Great news! Last time I was there about 10 years ago we almost died driving back the road next to the stream. It was no joke. I remember wondering how the hell they get the stocking truck back there. Also caught a stocker brookie with gill lice. Called the PFBC about it and reported it, but never heard anything back.
My dad used to go up Bakers with his neighhbor. He said he would NEVER take his vehicle up that road! If you like your vehicle that road is not one to take it on! People do it all the time though but hopefully with it not being stocked anymore it'll receive less pressure and the natives can retake that stream.

From my experience pipelines do not have that much effect on the streams. Maybe they remove a little natural cover in some spots but overall I don't feel they have too much of an impact. These pipelines have been in these areas for a very long time I believe.
That is what i have always thought, too. I don't really see the big deal, EXCEPT for during the construction process when the earth is really getting moved around.

My dad used to go up Bakers with his neighhbor. He said he would NEVER take his vehicle up that road! If you like your vehicle that road is not one to take it on! People do it all the time though but hopefully with it not being stocked anymore it'll receive less pressure and the natives can retake that stream.
I drove the whole way up to the gate in a Honda Civic. Only once, though. The road was bad then, and it's gotten worse since.

The road should be gated off at the bottom. Then the road along the stream should be eliminated and returned to forest land because at present the road has a severe impact on the physical habitat of thte stream. That type of road elimination can be done, and has been done in other states. They loosen up the compacted soil and plant trees and shrubs.

The end of stocking on Baker Run is good news.

It would not surprise me if the new extension on lower Kettle and the trout to be stocked there as a result came about at least in part due to the removal of Baker.
What stretch is the new extension on lower Kettle?

What stretch is the new extension on lower Kettle?
I should have said possible extension on lower Kettle…it would be in a downstream direction from the present lower limit.

I should have said possible extension on lower Kettle…it would be in a downstream direction from the present lower limit.
And you are just talking about a possible downstream extension of the waters stocked? It would be awesome if instead it was an extension downstream of the water on kettle that is not stocked. That'd be cooler.

I've thought for years that they should stock down there. That's not wild trout water, there's public access on state forest land, and it's scenic.

The apparent reason they didn't stock there are small mine drainage seeps on the west side, but I think those are diluted by the much larger flow of Kettle Creek so that the water quality is OK for early season put-and-take fishing. Shift the hatchery trout currently being stocked over native brook trout in many streams to places like that.

Another good possibility would be Sinnemahoning Creek. The water quality is fine. The only drawback is that a lot of the land along there is posted, but maybe they could work with some of the landowners to get access.

I've thought for years that they should stock down there. That's not wild trout water, there's public access on state forest land, and it's scenic.

The apparent reason they didn't stock there are small mine drainage seeps on the west side, but I think those are diluted by the much larger flow of Kettle Creek so that the water quality is OK for early season put-and-take fishing. Shift the hatchery trout currently being stocked over native brook trout in many streams to places like that.

Another good possibility would be Sinnemahoning Creek. The water quality is fine. The only drawback is that a lot of the land along there is posted, but maybe they could work with some of the landowners to get access.

There’s Fallfish in that lower section of Kettle. So, at least acidity wise, that water should be fine for Trout. Temperature toward the Summer is another issue, but they’re stockies. That’s what they’re for.

Shift the hatchery trout currently being stocked over native brook trout in many streams to places like that
You’re preaching to the choir if that was aimed at me, although I suspect that it was a generalized comment to any reader. As I’ve said, I would start with those remaining Class B’s, if any, that are classified as Class B ST stream sections. Then in addition I would move on to low angler use (from low opening day counts) stream sections as removal candidates. Some might be wild ST stream sections.

Last edited:
You’re preaching to the choir if that was aimed at me, although I suspect that it was a generalized comment to any reader. As I’ve said, I would start with those remaining Class B’s, if any, that are classified as Class B ST stream sections. Then in addition I would move on to low angler use (from low opening day counts) stream sections as removal candidates. Some might be wild ST stream sections.
I was just expressing an opinion on trout management, for anyone who's interested.

Last edited:
Back