circle hooks

K

King-Fisher

Has anyone ever tried tying a fly with a circle hook...and catch something with it. Might limit the range of flies that could be tied. Any thoughts?

I bought some a while back for saltwater. They were on sale and I might only use them once every year or so, so figured I'd have at it. Have not used them yet, but I like the concept. Especially when dealing with toothy fish, to have the hook imbed in the side of the mouth is a plus to keep the teeth away from the leader. If I go for pike, musky, or walleye I might tie them on circles too... don't see any disadvantages to it.

I have used them for years for salt, bass, pike, walleye they work great. Just remember to not set the hook, they do it automatically.

Circles work great with bait and are a staple in saltwater (sometimes required by law). How exactly this form of hook manages to catch fish in the corner of the jaw remains something of a mystery. Circles are hard to find in the tiny sizes needed for so much trout fishing and they don't exist (at least I haven't seen 'em) with long shanks suitable for streamers. I posted a thread about the "Moffit System" on this site some months ago and will be experimenting with circles this year. I also tied some fairly large nymphs and egg flies on the smallest circle hooks I could find at Bass Pro and, once I get some time using them, I'll post a review here.

I think tying my version of the san juan worm would work just fine on a circle hook and the fact that mainly i use them on wild brookie streams and the fact that they have pretty non-destructive hooking qualities (corner of the mouth) they would be just fine........any bites?

Back