Cicadas!

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
With the return of a large brood of cicadas across parts of PA this upcoming spring, it's time to tie up some patterns.

If you're new to FFing or don't remember the last big brood from 17 years ago, these cicadas are smaller and darker than the annual "dog day cicadas" that emerge every year - which have green over white bodies that are about 2" not including wings.

The cicadas we will see in 2021 are smaller and darker. They have bodies about 1.5" that are generally black or dark brown and often with orange segments and orangish legs.

If you've fished these bugs before, you know that fish that are focused on them are often not especially selective, but I still like to tie my cicadas fairly realistic. I'll upload some pics of my pattern shortly.

So, let's see your cicada patterns.

Is this brood hitting central pa this year?

I tyed tons of large October caddies, then did not catch the hatch.
They have a lot of orange,so, I’ll hit them with a black sharpie and use them.
I may also tye some bulky flies with range hackle

Here's my 17 year cicada pattern. It's tied with a foam body, rubber legs and deer hair synthetic flash wing. Eyes are red acrylic paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 19
Here's a couple more...

Attachments

• IMG_0256.JPG
    IMG_0256.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 10
I posted in the General Discussion thread that I tie and use Loren Williams pattern. It's a quick tie and pretty effective. No need to get too carried away with cicada patterns - when it's "on", it's "on"!

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0334.jpg

I question the relevance of the cicada hatch for fly fishing. I wasn’t local in 04 so wondering if anyone that does have any stories about fish eating cicadas???

mellowluke, 17 year cicada hatch makes for some awesome fly fishing. The following video is me fishing the hatch out near Pittsburg it 2019. Do yourself a favor and start tying;)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYRgu67yVM

mellowluke wrote:
I question the relevance of the cicada hatch for fly fishing. I wasn’t local in 04 so wondering if anyone that does have any stories about fish eating cicadas???

Fish of various species can and often do feed heavily on cicadas during these emergences (as do many birds and animals). That's not to say you will find fish hitting them everywhere. I have seen them being ignored. However, when periodic cicadas are on the water it can be quite an amazing thing.

You should have some patterns if you plan to fish this year in the areas they are expected to emerge.

I apologize for the quality of the pictures, but when these were taken I was just starting to use a digital camera and the quality of my pictures was hit or miss. These are a miss. The hatch was a bust here in the Philadelphia area. I generally see more fish activity during the annual cicada hatch. I caught several bass in the Wissahickon on this one during the annual hatch.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0401.JPG
    IMG_0401.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0404.JPG
    IMG_0404.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 5
Just remember the brood cicadas we are talking about are black and orange where the annual cicadas are green. Also the annuals are a size or 2 bigger.

I've tied a few foam varieties over the years. They emerged in my area 2 years ago but the water levels were above flood stage the whole time. I caught a grand total of 1 bluegill on a cicada fly. Super bummed.

Might make a trek out and see if I can get some fish on them this year.

George Daniel just came out with a pretty good cicada video. I didn't fish any "sunken" cicadas last time, but can definitely see where they'd work when times get tough!

Below is a great looking Cicada tie by someone. Good pattern to replicate.

Attachments

• Cicada Fly.jpg
    Cicada Fly.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 7
Here's another nice looking cicada.
50952911533_05c727c38f_b.jpg

Fused Foam Cicada- Fly Tying Nation- by Dron Lee

The fused foam technique looks like it gives you a more realistic 3d shape, but it looks like it would be a hassle to tie. plus i worry about the fused edges coming apart.

The tying directions show the colors being added with markers, but i don't know how they get that vibrant orange to go on a black foam.

I've been playing with the Loren Williams style and i think i'll keep fiddling with that pattern for now.

Those look very nice!

I just palmer some orange thread through the abdomen to get that effect.

I think the middle bug in the picture above is not a 17 year cicada but rather a typical "dog day" cicada.

Got a few more. . .

Attachments

• C3k7 - Copy.JPG
    C3k7 - Copy.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 11
I know every one swears it's been 17 years, but I remember a huge cicada emergence in '08 in central PA. That's the year I moved to Mifflin County (well Fall of '07) and fished using cicadas.

Is there another large hatch coming in a few years?

And I never even got a look from a fish on the local streams or Penns while fishing a cicada pattern. However, I believe Spring Creek could be some fun.

Mkern, the last time I remember a major cicada event was in 2004. I was on my friend's boat on Lake Raystown and the carp were rising to them like crazy. That was before I fly fished, but I'm very much looking forward to catching carp on cicadas. I have not seen a measurable about of cicadas since 2004, 17 years ago.

Back